Log NFC Skyreach 4 / RTX 3070 / i5-12400F / 500W HDPLEX GaN AIO PSU

Incognito73

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 3, 2023
Hi there,

I finally converted from the (a bit ancient) Silverstone Lascala LC04 case towards possibly the most compact SFF build I ever had. I've had to mod the RTX 3070 heatsink and cooling solution to accommodate the case length and power switch, as the HDPLEX 500W GaN unit can fit only one way. I ordered the PSU a week ago from HDPLEX and can confirm it fits the NFC Skyreach4 mini.

It's a fantastic build. With a bit of the RTX 3070 downclock and keeping the FPS at 60fps to sync with my TV, the GPU temp never crosses 65 degrees. With v-sync off and at a raw speed GPU temp hovers around 85 degrees with modest fan noise - and that's still good. The very good thing about the ASUS ROG Strix B760-I Gaming is that there is an external temp monitor pin, so I've attached a thermal probe from RTX 3070 - so Asus FanXpert controls the GPU fans. It's an excellent solution to have more control over the noise and thermal ratio. I've also installed the dust mesh on all Skyreach4 panels (top/bottom/sides) and sleeved all the cables. The CPU cooler is Thermalright AXP90 X36 and I prefer this one over Noctua used in most of the builds.

Here are the photos:

Last edited:

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
@Incognito73 I've removed the broken links. Your account isn't old enough to be able to edit posts yourself - a few more posts and you'll be there!

Scarecrow

What's an ITX?
New User
Jul 10, 2023
Hi there,

I finally converted from the (a bit ancient) Silverstone Lascala LC04 case towards possibly the most compact SFF build I ever had. I've had to mod the RTX 3070 heatsink and cooling solution to accommodate the case length and power switch, as the HDPLEX 500W GaN unit can fit only one way. I ordered the PSU a week ago from HDPLEX and can confirm it fits the NFC Skyreach4 mini.

It's a fantastic build. With a bit of the RTX 3070 downclock and keeping the FPS at 60fps to sync with my TV, the GPU temp never crosses 65 degrees. With v-sync off and at a raw speed GPU temp hovers around 85 degrees with modest fan noise - and that's still good. The very good thing about the ASUS ROG Strix B760-I Gaming is that there is an external temp monitor pin, so I've attached a thermal probe from RTX 3070 - so Asus FanXpert controls the GPU fans. It's an excellent solution to have more control over the noise and thermal ratio. I've also installed the dust mesh on all Skyreach4 panels (top/bottom/sides) and sleeved all the cables. The CPU cooler is Thermalright AXP90 X36 and I prefer this one over Noctua used in most of the builds.

Here are the photos:

Did you use custom length cables? Sorry if that’s a stupid question I’m just new to PC builds and having trouble getting mine to fit

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Last edited:

Incognito73

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 3, 2023
Did you use custom length cables? Sorry if that’s a stupid question I’m just new to PC builds and having trouble getting mine to fit
Hey! Well, the only custom thing was the J-HACK M2426 ... a special hybrid DC-ATX designed to work to replace the bulky ATX power cable. It reduces up to 30 wires down to just 6 that connect to the PSU ,also comes with custom short-length power cables. The rest of it is pretty much standard from HDPLEX GaN 500W PSU. I also used Alex Tech wire looms for sleeving. The only thing left is to shorten the GPU temp sensor cable.

Incognito73

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 3, 2023
As a self-proclaimed fan of Silverstone cases, I'm ashamed to admit that this is the 1st time I heard and about this case.

Edit: you can try to upload your images to imgur & link them here. Try this tutorial: How to upload & post image (with the help of imgur) | SFF.Network (smallformfactor.net)

Re: SS LC04 I know! 😄 I also used SS mostly during my time; this one was probably over two decades old - but to this date still holds the look and functionality. I did plenty of internal customisations, though, shame I didn't take the photos before dismantling - the same components were there as in Skyreach.

I will take a look at the guide, so cheers for that!

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Re: SS LC04 I know! 😄 I also used SS mostly during my time; this one was probably over two decades old - but to this date still holds the look and functionality. I did plenty of internal customisations, though, shame I didn't take the photos before dismantling - the same components were there as in Skyreach.

I will take a look at the guide, so cheers for that!

Yeah my first SFF case is Silverstone SG08, so I kinda have a soft spot for that brand 🙂

kevlar

Average Stuffer
Jun 4, 2017
Sorry to necro an old thread, but there just aren't that many build threads out there for using the 500w GaN in a S4M build. I was curious to see how others have fared but this is one of the only posts I've been able to find!

I just did a similar build, but the way the 500W GaN is seated is not nearly as flush against the motherboard as in the pictures here. The 24-pin connector's little pin at the top of my motherboard pushes the PSU a way a little bit and makes the fit extremely tight, almost borderline warping territory when trying to put the case back together!

The C6 connector also does not fit in the case, it just seems too damn big. For now I've got the connector just dangling out of the case. I think I'll have to order the custom GX16 AC connector from NFC later.

Incognito73

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 3, 2023
Hi, I managed to take some close-in photos. It's a very snug fit for RTX3070 (after modding the heatsink), but no issues as reported with 500W GaN. I've got the case with a standard C6 connector, but I had to cut the RTX3070 backplate a bit as it was on the way. Also, I purchased a separate J-HACK harness for then less bulk and ease of cable routing for 24-pin MB connector.

Reactions: thelaughingman

KepKe

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2017
It's amazing that the 500W unit fits in that position without modding! Bit tight by the looks of it, but what isn't? If i might ask, why not use the included fan bracket for the GPU fans? Fans to big?

Incognito73

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 3, 2023
Wait, the 500W unit fits in the S4 mini in that position? lol that's amazing! Doesn't the fan bracket fit under the GPU or didn't you want it?
Yes, it's a perfect fit 😄 500W in such an enclosure is just amazing indeed. I never used a GPU bracket from NFC as I couldn't use larger 92-100mm slim fans, and it's just a hustle.

I use this to attach fans directly to the heatsink:

Gorilla Glue Mounting Tape