Log 3.5L Skyreach 4 TINY - 5700G + RTX A4000

puffdotbusiness

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 7, 2021

Final Build List
  1. NFC S4T - I got the case in a fully built APU system for my HTPC setup. Amazing build quality. Love it.
  2. Asus Strix B550I - This motherboard is one of the few that can retain the VRM heatsink after a deshroud. 10/10 board.
  3. AMD Ryzen 7 5700G - I was initially trying to find one of the GE variants to save on power but it was too elusive/expensive. This is working fine for now. I was able to reduce temps around 5C with a quick -10 all core offset.
  4. ID-Cooling IS-30 + NF-A9x14 + Noctua NA-FD1
  5. G.Skill Royal 32GB DDR4 4000C16 - B-Die to take advantage of the CPU's strong memory controller. Deshrouded as well.
  6. 1 TB WD SN750 + BeQuiet MC1 Pro heatsink - Decent boot drive and aftermarket heatsink. The stock heatsink lost its mounting mechanism in the deshroud process.
  7. Louqe COBALT Gen4+ PCI-e 4.0 Riser - The riser is long enough to be able to remove it from the motherboard without having to remove the motherboard first. This is helpful for trouble shooting and the initial install.
  8. RTX A4000 - Single slot GPU is required for this build. There are a few other options in the market most are also "PRO" cards but are less powerful though.
  9. GaN 250W PSU - This might be the only choice here. I am using stock cables since they are working fine with some clever cable management. The mounting of this thing was by far the most tricky. It is sandwiched between the inside corner of the case, a stand off bracket, and the power switch
Permanent Mods Required:
  1. The S4T needs to be notched here in order for the GPU to clear the main body of the case.
  2. To avoid further length to the GPU the power connector needs to be extracted. I notched the aluminum here in order to extract the wires out the back of the card. This mod is minimal in nature and can probably be hidden with some black tape in the event you wish to revert to the original configuration.
Non-permanent mods:
  1. Remove GPU IO Plate
  2. Remove Mobo IO Plate and VRM shroud and NVME Heatsink
  3. Remove Wifi Card
Physical measurements of the required standoffs

• Motherboard standoff height [PCB to Case]: 24mm

• GPU Riser Stand off Height from the back of the motherboard [PCB to PCB]: 8mm

• PSU stand off height [Case to PSU]: 37mm

• Front Bezel standoffs [Case to Bezel]: 12mm

Benchmarks/Temps - Runs surprisingly cool:

Power Consumption:
  • Prime 95 + Furmark: 257W at the wall
  • Gaming: 150-200W at the wall
  • Timespy: 228W at the wall
Nest Steps:

• Tuning CPU Curve Offset

• Tuning RAM Timings

• Custom rear IO plate to reintroduce access to the WIFI card and LAN Port. Currently using a USB LAN adapter which works perfectly fine for now.

Other Build Options:

2 GaN PSU setup is theoretically possible but you will need to use the stock ID-Cooling Fan and delid the CPU. Here is the location of second GaN:

You can avoid modifying the GPU by flipping the GPUs cover plate and extracting the wires in a slightly janky way - however it is totally manageable. And introducing a 1mm Gap between the GPU and backside of the Case. You will need to steal this 1mm from the front which means you may need to run the stock ID-Cooling fan:

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Full dense build, congrats!

Seeing how small the PCB of the GPU is, wouldn't it be possible to trim off the back of the GPU aluminium body in order to gain 10mm or so?
That would let you fit the GPU without the needing standoffs for the front panel.

puffdotbusiness

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 7, 2021
Full dense build, congrats!

Seeing how small the PCB of the GPU is, wouldn't it be possible to trim off the back of the GPU aluminium body in order to gain 10mm or so?
That would let you fit the GPU without the needing standoffs for the front panel.
Yes I would say it is possible. I would have to take some measurements to be sure there is no interference with the fan. Ill report back later tonight.