NFC S4 #74

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Original poster
Jun 19, 2016
Desoldering is easy.... when using a purpose-built desoldering tool with a high-power hollow tip and active suction controlled via foot-pedal. Otherwise, everyone hates desoldering by hand, especially with lead-free solder.

Well, good(?) to know it's not just shitty technique I guess. :D

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Original poster
Jun 19, 2016
I got a knob!

Please excuse the "currently held on with tape and hanging off slightly as a result" thing in the positioning mockup. :D

It's exactly what I want, right down to size. Gonna fiddle with positioning a bit more, and gotta, well, get the rest of the desoldering done, wire in the attenuator, and then also take the bezel off and frickin' drill the thing. Gonna try doing it by hand, I think. Two holes, straight down, What's The Worst That Could Happen™? Well, three holes I guess - there's a nubbin on the attentuator to prevent rotation, which I should probably use instead of filing it off or whatever.

Other then that, I want to get a USB 2 header -> micro cable, and if I can't find the USB 3 header -> USB 2 header adapter that came with my mobo, one of those too. But, well, progress is being made. Slowly. Lazily. I'll get there eventually.

And then all I'll have left to do is shove the new HDPLEX AC/DC in it when it comes out, to make the whole thing brickless, and I'm good for a few years...

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
I got a knob!

Please excuse the "currently held on with tape and hanging off slightly as a result" thing in the positioning mockup. :D

It's exactly what I want, right down to size. Gonna fiddle with positioning a bit more, and gotta, well, get the rest of the desoldering done, wire in the attenuator, and then also take the bezel off and frickin' drill the thing. Gonna try doing it by hand, I think. Two holes, straight down, What's The Worst That Could Happen™? Well, three holes I guess - there's a nubbin on the attentuator to prevent rotation, which I should probably use instead of filing it off or whatever.

Other then that, I want to get a USB 2 header -> micro cable, and if I can't find the USB 3 header -> USB 2 header adapter that came with my mobo, one of those too. But, well, progress is being made. Slowly. Lazily. I'll get there eventually.

And then all I'll have left to do is shove the new HDPLEX AC/DC in it when it comes out, to make the whole thing brickless, and I'm good for a few years...

So the Fulla 2 board fits nicely up against the inside bezel/case; what was your final decision on fixation method?

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Original poster
Jun 19, 2016
So the Fulla 2 board fits nicely up against the inside bezel/case; what was your final decision on fixation method?

Oh, it's not in there currently, that's just mocking up knob position to play around with a bit. Still not sure how I'll attach, but either just an epoxy or something less permanent than that most likely. Will try to remember to take more pics when I get to it.

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
Oh, it's not in there currently, that's just mocking up knob position to play around with a bit. Still not sure how I'll attach, but either just an epoxy or something less permanent than that most likely. Will try to remember to take more pics when I get to it.
Black colored hot glue might be a good idea as well...

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
My Asus Xonar DX sound card finally died (RIP). I demoed Audio Quest's DragonFlys and ended up buying the Black along with the JitterBug. Sound and working great.