Discussion Best options for a travel case?

ItzScience

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
May 29, 2021
I actually just posted this on the SFF subreddit but found this forum after some additional Google searches. Perhaps I could get better help here...

I plan on doing some traveling down to South America in the coming months and am looking to transfer my current build into a more portable case. Current specs:
  • R5 3600 - Currently cooled with NH-D15 (I know I'll need to replace this)
  • X570-I Gaming
  • G.Skill Trident Z 32 GB
  • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB FTW3 ULTRA
  • Corsair SF 750
  • Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME
  • Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME
  • Samsung 870 QVO 2 TB 2.5"
  • Lian Li TU150
Ultimately, I'd like something I can fit into a travel backpack so I can take it on the plane with me. I don't want to risk checking it, and I'd also like to avoid a Pelican hard case or similar. I'm willing to deshroud the GPU if that needs to happen, or if I should look for something smaller... it's quite a heifer. I was looking at the P-ATX from SFF Time since it could easily fit my components and would fit into a travel pack nicely with its thin frame. I'm not so sure a more cubed frame would work for my needs, but I am open to recs of any sort.

Another thing to note... I plan on bringing a laptop (Thinkpad) as a backup, since I'll be working remotely, and an extra portable monitor. I'm a UX designer by trade, so I am also taking recs on a good portable monitor for design work. Any and all help is very much appreciated!

Bean Nuts

Trash Compacter
Mar 17, 2021
I wanted to recommend first the S4 Mini, but since you have an RTX 3080, which is also a much longer model than the normal RTX 3080, my friend, there are no cases that are compatible with the graphics card; or at least cases that can fit into a backpack.

If you are into heavy modding (such as ordering custom-made power supplies, soldering, cutting, skimming, ordering custom parts, water-cooling, etc.) I suggest trying to do what "petricor" is doing in this forum.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Actually, have you considered the option of not using a case at all during the plane ride?
I mean, looking at the list of components, they are all not big items. The biggest ones are the display card and the NH-D15 but they are still small in size, relatively speaking. What I suggest is, take apart the components and wrap them with clothes or some bubble wrap and they can all be placed inside a suitcase as check-in luggage. If you want extra case, hand-carry the 3 SSDs with you. They might contain valuable data that cannot be lost.

However, if you need to travel on a weekly basis, then, of course, this is not practical. But, if you only travel to South America once, then this should be considered. Whether or not you will continue to use the TU150 or grab another one after you arrive there, that is another point.

ItzScience

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
May 29, 2021
Yeah, this massive card is really limiting my options... I don't want to sell or trade it though as I want it for my main rig after this travel stint. If only grabbing a mini card wasnt fucking impossible right now... Thanks for the replies!

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018
Bro, why don't you just make a secondary super portable rig with S4M? And use the 3080 in a bigger case like NR200?

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I actually just posted this on the SFF subreddit but found this forum after some additional Google searches. Perhaps I could get better help here...

I plan on doing some traveling down to South America in the coming months and am looking to transfer my current build into a more portable case. Current specs:
  • R5 3600 - Currently cooled with NH-D15 (I know I'll need to replace this)
  • X570-I Gaming
  • G.Skill Trident Z 32 GB
  • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB FTW3 ULTRA
  • Corsair SF 750
  • Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME
  • Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME
  • Samsung 870 QVO 2 TB 2.5"
  • Lian Li TU150
Ultimately, I'd like something I can fit into a travel backpack so I can take it on the plane with me. I don't want to risk checking it, and I'd also like to avoid a Pelican hard case or similar. I'm willing to deshroud the GPU if that needs to happen, or if I should look for something smaller... it's quite a heifer. I was looking at the P-ATX from SFF Time since it could easily fit my components and would fit into a travel pack nicely with its thin frame. I'm not so sure a more cubed frame would work for my needs, but I am open to recs of any sort.

Another thing to note... I plan on bringing a laptop (Thinkpad) as a backup, since I'll be working remotely, and an extra portable monitor. I'm a UX designer by trade, so I am also taking recs on a good portable monitor for design work. Any and all help is very much appreciated!

I was thinking Dan Case until I read that GPU. That's going to be a big problem, no pun intended. The new Dan Case A4-SFX hydro will work, but it's not out yet. Let's see....and it has to be smaller than a TU-150? You are not making this easy....

1623187582828.png

...I got nothing. Buy a Zotac Magnus or a better laptop.

• Haha
Reactions: someuser

k1llah3rtz

Caliper Novice
May 20, 2021
what about a thorzone mjolnir? has room for 240mm IIRC and with a barrow block/pump/res should be buildable... so remove the stock GPU cooler and make it 30% smaller, low-profile fittings = profit ( i think )

Aki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 9, 2016
The Sliger SM560 should fit your components. You might need the pigtail powercord option though.
It is only around 11L instead of the almost 24L of the TU 150. But I don't know if it will fit in your backpack.
Link for NA: https://www.sliger.com/products/cases/sm560/
Link for EU: https://www.density.sk/product/sm560/

Edit: As for monitors. I only know of the Asus ROG Strix XG16 or Asus ROG Strix XG17. They are both 1080p and according to Asus they cover 100% sRGB.

Last edited:

Aki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 9, 2016
what about a thorzone mjolnir? has room for 240mm IIRC and with a barrow block/pump/res should be buildable... so remove the stock GPU cooler and make it 30% smaller, low-profile fittings = profit ( i think )
I'm not sure if watercooling is a good idea for a pc that needs to be taken on a flight.

Reactions: Revenant

k1llah3rtz

Caliper Novice
May 20, 2021
I'm not sure if watercooling is a good idea for a pc that needs to be taken on a flight.
of course but with such a small loop and whilst a total PITA, draining pre-flight and refilling could be an option. alternatively get an AIO for the GPU and stick to air on the cpu

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Maybe this Ghost S1...”inspired” case?

edit: it’s not 3 slot.

Last edited: