Motherboard New X570 ITX board: AsRockRack X570D4I-2T

jpmomo

Trash Compacter
Feb 23, 2018
Another - note, there are 32 GB DDR4 3600 SODIMMS starting to come out now. So, if they are stable :)
do you have a link for the 32GB 3600 sodimms? I am evaluating this board for a new project and trying to optimize the specs.

sideffect8

Case Bender
New User
Jun 24, 2020
This board looks awesome! Just found out about it today, signed up for notifications on Newegg. I have 64gb of sodimm leftover from my ASRock x299 itx board that would fit nicely w this.

Speaking of RAM, I'm using the 3200mhz 128gb sodimm kit from crucial on the x299 board and it's great, could only OC to 3600 if the memory was set to dual channel, haven't heard about a 3600 kit

seaplan3papi

What's an ITX?
New User
Jun 30, 2020
A little unfamiliar with Asrock Rack boards and the memory QVL has pretty poor latency options if you do not need ECC. Does anyone know if picking up some PVS432G300C8S or CMSX32GX4M2A3000C18 would be a waste of time?

One dumb question for the road, is it possible to passthrough the ast5000 to a vm for basic use such as a browser? Could not find much info, I would ideally hand down a 3900x to this board and ideally keep the PCIE open for additional storage. Pro vantage currently lists for $406

Reactions: jpmomo

RockenRod

Chassis Packer
Aug 6, 2019
I have received two sets of ASRockRack X570D4I-2T, Ryzen 9 3950X (got it at a VERY good price) and 4 x 32GB ECC 3200 SODIMMs (via Newegg) I have run it on a test bench with an ASUS X299 4 x NVME expansion card (for testing bifurcation). I will upload some photos and a better review soon. Some early things to note for the uninitiated/interested:

1. It requires an Intel 115X cooler (i.e. NOT an AM4) and the backside mount (with pin female threads that poke through MB) appears to be glued on.
So many coolers that require their own screws from the bottom "may" not work (I am too scared to rip the base plate off) as the motherboard is super expensive @ $800 AUD (mostly because it includes so many extra features like the dual X550 10Gbits NICs and BMC/IPMI with iKVM).
I am using a 140 NZXT Kraken water cooler as it works with the premounted plate. I could not fit many of the Noctua and IT coolers I have in stock.

2. Another issue is that there are minimal USB ports. For instance, with the aforementioned watercooler, I could not plug in the USB connection and had to resort to a hacked USB3 to USB2 4 pin header adapter in the rear port (luckily I had one around). The motherboard has no USB2 header at all. Worse there "appears" to be one at a glance but is actually an ITX Auxillary Panel Header. This I initially I suspect "may" include one USB2 port but alas it is only for 4 additional LEDs for LAN 1/2, case open and system fault. Another header that is less easy to mistake for USB2 is reserved for a TPM module. Alternatively, with a suitable adapter, you could use one of the USB2 ports available on the USB3 internal header, but that would potentially sacrifice a case front panel USB port. Leaving just 3 USB 3 ports in total, one on the front and a double one on the rear. This could probably be rectified which some witchcraft by intervening on the USB 2 side with a USB2 switch and then plumbing one of those ports back out to the front give 4 USB3 ports in total and at least 2 or 3 internal ones.

I set up my "workstation" install with a USB stick in one and a USB wireless Keyboard/Mouse in the other rear. Then once the OS was running I pulled the USB stick and plugged in the watercooler (without the USB the fan runs at full speed all the time)

3. A scan of the BIOS shows many more fine controls than I have ever seen before. There is an unexpected option: Fastboot (still seem to be rather slow compared to normal PCs as the BMC seems to still need to initiate/start (even though there is a "no wait" option I set in the bios). Be sure to turn off the BMC networking port if you don't use it otherwise a long timeout awaits you. The first time it seems to take forever as you don't know (not sure) what is going on.

4. I have not been able to find any ECC settings or ECC error log yet. Still looking (it is a VERY extensive BIOS)!

Mostly on the good side:
5. The BIOS has many options, as yet I have no idea if they all work. There appear to be some options that probably should not be there, kind of a way for ASRock to make the server bios updates easier across different motherboard models one might presume. So some of the help texts also seem problematic/misleading at best.

6. The x16 has all the bifurcation options one would expect (i.e. x4+x4+x4+x4; x4+x4+x8; x8+x4+x4; x8+x8). I have tested a few at the stage. These will change with less capable CPUs. All the APU Ryzens (with the builtin GPUs) do not support bifurcation and will have no GPU video exit; if they work at all.

7. Unlike many server BIOSes there appear to be a full suite of overclocking tools (I have not tested yet), probably because it is targetted at workstations also.

8. The 2 of 4x OCulink ports are able to be switched in at least two different BIOS settings (a little confusing) from PCIe (default) to 4 x SATA III. As others have mentioned these can be extended to PCIe 4.0 NVME x4 or even used with a suitable adapter as ways to add other expansion options. Like additional networking or USB 3.1/3.2 as required. Alternatively, these expansions could be bifurcated off the PCIe x16 with suitable active adapters and cables leaving a Gen 4.0 PCIe x8 which is more than enough for a future GPU (i.e. RTX30_0). Note: these x4 ports come off the X570 southbridge and not directly off the CPU, so they are constrained by sharing 4 x 4.0 PCI lanes with the dual 10Gbit Ethernet and the internal USB 3.1 header. So they are better when NOT used for NVME. In a workstation, you might want to run a PCIe audio card and/or additional USB3 off of one. In a NAS/Server you would probably best use one for 4 x SSD/HDD SATA III storage drives.

9. The motherboard box comes supplied with one OCulink to 4 x SATA cable and a 4Pin Molex takeoff cable that "can" be used to provide power to up to 4x SATA drives. This is kind of neat and a nice touch for a compact system build.

10. The power supply is almost ALL supplied via one 8 way ATX12V2 connector (theoretically at least that can be 4 x 15A x 12V = 700W). A 400W SFX has been enough so far. The box comes with another 20/24pin adapter that hooks up to a special ATX4PIN1 connector that provides only a GND, Power ON/Enable, +5VSB (standby) and Power Good (feedback).

More soon. Ask for requests if you like.

Reactions: Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Thanks for sharing your experience !

4. I have not been able to find any ECC settings or ECC error log yet. Still looking (it is a VERY extensive BIOS)!
Ryzen, the desktop CPU, does support ECC when the board supports it, but does not do error correcting. So you probably won't find ECC logs.

RockenRod

Chassis Packer
Aug 6, 2019
Ryzen, the desktop CPU, does support ECC when the board supports it, but does not do error correcting. So you probably won't find ECC logs.

Actually, I have used a few Gigabyte Ryzen motherboards with functioning ECC support and they do have ECC logs and settings but they typically only support 1-bit error correction and so far I have not seen or heard off any that do not allow for 2-bit shutdown and logging. So your kind of correct as not ALL Ryzen motherboards support ECC officially and usually just allow for the passive use of ECC DIMMS without any error correction as you say. Some of the high-end motherboards, however, do allow for 1-bit errors without logging. But importantly and contrary to what you say SOME MOTHERBOARDS DO ALLOW for implicit ECC 1-bit error correction and usually some form of logging.

Search in here for AMD commenting on ECC functionality
Note: These are the two Gigabit Motherboards I have tested with ECC in the past and work with ECC 1-bit errors:
Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0) ATX https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/GA-AX370-Gaming-5-rev-10#kf
Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI AM4 Mini-ITX https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/X570-I-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10#kf

Reactions: Phuncz

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Mar 10, 2019
Thank you so much for your post! I ended up giving up on this board once I saw the X570D4U was going to come to market, which seems like a much less gimped board (albeit it is indeed MicroATX and not ITX!).

You said it does overclocking - have you checked the VRM temperatures and chipset temperatures? Because this is an X570 board with no active cooling, many were speculating the VRM or the chipset would be unhappy running overclocks.

RockenRod

Chassis Packer
Aug 6, 2019
@ermac318 I had not spotted that motherboard yet. If I had I too may have chosen that one. https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X570D4U-2L2T#Specifications

Even that board too if it supports overclocking will depend on case cooling and/or heatsink mods to "handle" overclocking. I think from memory when you enter the overclocking menus you are warned that you must accept the responsibility for "damage" done. Most stuff has thermal cutoffs though. I don't intend to do any overclocking in the long term. That is because the motherboard's VRMs are specified as 105W TDP and my CPU (3950X) already uses all of that without overclocking. That does not mean however other lower TDP CPUs cannot be overclocked. Even the other Mini-ITX board specs out at 105W TDP on the VRM...
Power Design​
105W

Correction: Please note my original post incorrectly stated that 3200Mhz ECC DDR4 was being used. I had "hoped" to get some at that speed but actually I got only 2933Mhz ones from here: https://www.newegg.com/nemix-ram-32gb-260-pin-ddr4-so-dimm/p/0RM-0026-01F36?Item=9SIA7S6ADS5380
NOTE: These are a slightly cheaper version of the Samsung DIMMs on the QVL list: Samsung M474A4G43AB1-CVF

This of-course should have said MicroATX. 8-( - A 5 minute Editing window would be nice!

Wendle on getting 3200Mhz ECC back in July 2018

If your lucky (often out of stock) you can now get some 3200Mhz ECC for normal DIMMs but not yet SODIMMs 8-(

Think you could fit a Blackridge on that board?

I don't think it would work well with the standard mounting unless your prepared to rip off the 115X mount that is glued on the bottom. Then because it is an AMD CPU you have an odd CPU under-mounting thing over which an Intel mounting bracket will not be expecting. Other than that there is unlikely a problem. But then if the Blackridge is pushing air up instead of down you will likely get overheating problems on the VRMs, Dual 10GbE NIC chip and the X570 southbridge as they are designed for use in a low profile server with lots of air flowing from the front -to-> the back as per standard rack environments.

Last edited by a moderator:

RockenRod

Chassis Packer
Aug 6, 2019
RETRACTION: I really should not have said that the ASRockRack X570D4I-2T motherboard has a suite of overclocking tools.
What it does however have is many confusing (including overclocking) BIOS options but literally, no normal gamer style overclocking aids/tools.
The motherboard is a pain in the arse in the respect that it has no dual BIOS, no CMOS failback, not even a CLR CMOS button, not even a miserly CMOS jumper. What is has instead is a couple of solder pads that you must short (and they are in a crap location), after...wait for it...first removing the CMOS battery.

From the manual:

Clear CMOS Pad
(CLRMOS1)
(see p.6, No. 18)
CLRMOS1 allows you to clear
the data in CMOS. To clear
CMOS, take out the CMOS
battery and short the Clear
CMOS Pad

Here is the process:
1. TURN OFF THE POWER (at wall switch).
2. Open case (NZXT H1 in my instance).
3. Remove screws for the water-cooling radiator.
4. Move water pipes and other cables etc aside (inc PCIe x16 extension).
5. Remove 8-way power supply cable (split in 2 x 4) - as this is the only way to remove the CMOS battery from the vertical holder (cramped).
6. Pull out the CMOS battery (even difficult still).
I guess alternatively, you might be able to slide in a very thin piece of stiff plastic to insulate one battery terminal (but that would take some investigation).
7. Maneuver some metal object like a skilled surgeon onto the two pads.
Meanwhile, cross your fingers (not literally) that you are NOT damaging something in that very cramped space.
8. Check you didn't dislodge any tiny SMT resistor or capacitor.
OMG! If you did, I hope you notice it and if you didn't, that it is not supercritical.
9. Minimally reverse what you did above to test.
10 . Switch on and test it now starts (often it does not - as you did not actually clear the CMOS - it can be very difficult).
11. Reboot and fix all your CMOS settings again.
Hope like hell you remember them all and cross your fingers again as there is no ability to save different sets of CMOS configurations. OMG!
12. Plead to some higher power and wish there was a number of overclocking features as you might expect.

HINT: If you are intending to try any sort of overclocking do yourself a big favour BEFORE you setup the motherboard in a case.
I suggest:
1. definitely soldering a CMOS battery cable with an inline connector to an externally mounted battery (obviously remove the one that is in there first); and
2. VERY carefully solder a few wires and a pushbutton switch to those two CMOS clear solder pads also.

The CMOS settings are so extensive they are very confusing. Just enabling the SATA ports on the two OCulink connectors was fraught with issues. It turns out I was overcomplicating it as there are several places to do so. But it appears just doing it in the SATA config is fine and the rest change also.
BTW: I did find the ECC settings in some rather obscure place (more later).

Also, be super careful with those OCUlink connectors as they can bend off the vertical really easily (a lot easier than I was expecting...luckily it still works after gently bending it back. OMG! Another minor heart attack!) Also, particularly in the NZXT H1 case, you need to be careful the water cooler does not bend the cable as you reassemble the case.

The good news is I have now had 5 x NVME SSDs and 8 x SATA drives all working at the same time. Realy just as a test.

gagarin61

Chassis Packer
Jan 7, 2021
RETRACTION: I really should not have said that the ASRockRack X570D4I-2T motherboard has a suite of overclocking tools.
What it does however have is many confusing (including overclocking) BIOS options but literally, no normal gamer style overclocking aids/tools.
The motherboard is a pain in the arse in the respect that it has no dual BIOS, no CMOS failback, not even a CLR CMOS button, not even a miserly CMOS jumper. What is has instead is a couple of solder pads that you must short (and they are in a crap location), after...wait for it...first removing the CMOS battery.

From the manual:

Clear CMOS Pad
(CLRMOS1)
(see p.6, No. 18)
CLRMOS1 allows you to clear
the data in CMOS. To clear
CMOS, take out the CMOS
battery and short the Clear
CMOS Pad

Here is the process:
1. TURN OFF THE POWER (at wall switch).
2. Open case (NZXT H1 in my instance).
3. Remove screws for the water-cooling radiator.
4. Move water pipes and other cables etc aside (inc PCIe x16 extension).
5. Remove 8-way power supply cable (split in 2 x 4) - as this is the only way to remove the CMOS battery from the vertical holder (cramped).
6. Pull out the CMOS battery (even difficult still).
I guess alternatively, you might be able to slide in a very thin piece of stiff plastic to insulate one battery terminal (but that would take some investigation).
7. Maneuver some metal object like a skilled surgeon onto the two pads.
Meanwhile, cross your fingers (not literally) that you are NOT damaging something in that very cramped space.
8. Check you didn't dislodge any tiny SMT resistor or capacitor.
OMG! If you did, I hope you notice it and if you didn't, that it is not supercritical.
9. Minimally reverse what you did above to test.
10 . Switch on and test it now starts (often it does not - as you did not actually clear the CMOS - it can be very difficult).
11. Reboot and fix all your CMOS settings again.
Hope like hell you remember them all and cross your fingers again as there is no ability to save different sets of CMOS configurations. OMG!
12. Plead to some higher power and wish there was a number of overclocking features as you might expect.

HINT: If you are intending to try any sort of overclocking do yourself a big favour BEFORE you setup the motherboard in a case.
I suggest:
1. definitely soldering a CMOS battery cable with an inline connector to an externally mounted battery (obviously remove the one that is in there first); and
2. VERY carefully solder a few wires and a pushbutton switch to those two CMOS clear solder pads also.

The CMOS settings are so extensive they are very confusing. Just enabling the SATA ports on the two OCulink connectors was fraught with issues. It turns out I was overcomplicating it as there are several places to do so. But it appears just doing it in the SATA config is fine and the rest change also.
BTW: I did find the ECC settings in some rather obscure place (more later).

Also, be super careful with those OCUlink connectors as they can bend off the vertical really easily (a lot easier than I was expecting...luckily it still works after gently bending it back. OMG! Another minor heart attack!) Also, particularly in the NZXT H1 case, you need to be careful the water cooler does not bend the cable as you reassemble the case.

The good news is I have now had 5 x NVME SSDs and 8 x SATA drives all working at the same time. Realy just as a test.
Would you recommend the X570D4I for a workstation? If not, what (ITX) board would you recommend with similar features?

dc443

Average Stuffer
Jun 4, 2020
@RockenRod thanks for sharing your notes it's very helpful. I'm trying to SFF a 5950X and I really love having extra connectivity options that this board uniquely provides but I'm also so torn on whether I'd rather just have a "regular" board!

As I understand it, on this platform all of the extra connectivity that you can achieve beyond onboard M.2 and pcie x16 (bifurcated or otherwise) is going to bottleneck through the DMI PCIe 4.0 x4 link. So, if I was going to go with a "regular" board, I could use a M.2 to (physical) x16 slot adapter on the secondary M.2 and utilize that bandwidth fully for whatever expansion card I'd use there. Since realistically i dont see myself needing anything else, then this may be the way to go for mITX if I can actually give up the 3rd and 4th memory slots.

Another option is mATX where i'd get 3rd and 4th memory slots, but still without any ASUS options. But I'm not looking forward to the process of minimizing case volume for mATX, it's much harder and I need to get on Taobao for that. I'm getting close to burning out on the research...

RockenRod

Chassis Packer
Aug 6, 2019
@RockenRod thanks for sharing your notes it's very helpful. I'm trying to SFF a 5950X and I really love having extra connectivity options that this board uniquely provides but I'm also so torn on whether I'd rather just have a "regular" board!

As I understand it, on this platform all of the extra connectivity that you can achieve beyond onboard M.2 and pcie x16 (bifurcated or otherwise) is going to bottleneck through the DMI PCIe 4.0 x4 link. So, if I was going to go with a "regular" board, I could use a M.2 to (physical) x16 slot adapter on the secondary M.2 and utilize that bandwidth fully for whatever expansion card I'd use there. Since realistically i dont see myself needing anything else, then this may be the way to go for mITX if I can actually give up the 3rd and 4th memory slots.

Another option is mATX where i'd get 3rd and 4th memory slots, but still without any ASUS options. But I'm not looking forward to the process of minimizing case volume for mATX, it's much harder and I need to get on Taobao for that. I'm getting close to burning out on the research...
I don’t think Ryzen has a DMI link per se (that’s an Intel standard as far as I am aware). There is a similar southbridge bottleneck if that’s what you mean but the x16 slot on this motherboard is not connected through that and is connected directly to the CPU lanes. Maybe I don’t fully understand what your trying to explain.