New to SSF power and cooling questions.

Jumpmonkey

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Sep 24, 2017
Its time for a new PC. I almost went nuc, but the Skull Canyon is the only one I believe is up to snuff for my use, but it is cost prohibitive. So Im aiming for an SSF build.

My planned hardware:
i7 7700k
ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 ITX
(and M.2 SDD and 16AGB RAM)

I'm uncertain whether or not I want to attempt to throw my old GPU in as well. Its a GTX760. I certainly dont mind having it...

But Im worried about power and heat if I stick it in the kind of case I'd like. I would love something along the lines of the Logic MC600G (or MC500 if I go without GPU). Would nice tiny case be safe for CPU and GPU? what kind of supply do I stick in there? Can I get enough power in that form factor?

This is apt to be left running for days at a time. Wil be used for lightroom, illustrator, and photoshop. If I can keep the GPU some gaming as well, but work takes priority.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
SFF * (Small Form Factor) :)

Regarding your build, you may be better off selling your GTX and buying something newer and more power efficient. A GTX1050Ti would get you the same performance, with much lower power consumption and heat. The GTX760 is a 170W card, the GTX1050Ti is a 75w card.

The MC600G/MC500 are limited to internal DC-DC power supply with an extrenal power brick for AC-DC duties. A more efficient GPU will enable you have some headroom in power, and cooling.

Jumpmonkey

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Sep 24, 2017
Thanks Confusis,

SFF indeed (Sorry, typing late at night, though SSF makes some good stuff if you're into modular synths...)

That's cool by me, I 'm not ready to case this thing yet. I'll swap GPU before getting the SFF case. Once it all gets here, it'll live in the big tower for a while until I have the money to liberate it from the massive ATX case.

I've been debating hard about the i7 7700k. I've been wondering if the i7 7700 might be pretty stinking close but a better choice for power/cooling. I've heard rumors of heat issues with the chip but I'm not certain if those issues are resolved (the accounts I ran into were from about May this year.) If I can manage the K, I'm happy for the bit of extra processing power. But if not, I think the sacrifice is worthy of longevity and thermal stability in the system.

Reactions: Biowarejak

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
There are 8700K and 8700 coming out in a few days and they will be better for the same price. As far as cooling, they can be hot. But that would depend from your case, airflow and CPU cooler.

Jumpmonkey

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Sep 24, 2017
Very tempting, but I don't think I'm willing to be an early adopter of the new tech. I figure even if CPU prices are acceptable, the new mobo's (I believe I heard they require 300 series) are going to be pricey out the gate. And I need a work computer back up and running this week. As cool and as tempting as it would be to for once, be on the bleeding edge of computing it doesn't really pan out for me. But still, thanks for dropping that cool bit of info on me!