Enclosure 5L case for 1st build.

Raikkonen

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 11, 2022
Hi all. Super Newbie here.

Im looking for assistance on my first ever build and want to narrow down case options.

Id like a case under 5L or so...if possible! (my last computer was a skull canyon that is bricked now) and i loved the size.

I want to keep it as small as possible and while it would be simplest to go the NUC route again id like the ability to replace all parts down the road and also fit a graphics card (for some gaming but mostly photoshop).

Can anyone point me in the right direction to start my build? No specific budget in mind. id like to just find the perfect build for me needs and then if too much $ start deciding what i can live without.

thanks in advance

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I would take a look at Densium cases. 2 versions, the Densium 4 v2 is 4.47l and supports GPUs up to 175mm and the Densium 4 Plus v 2 at 5.49l and supports GPUs up to 222mm. The case maker is very active in the forums and quick to answer questions and offer support. Welcome to the forum and enjoy your build.

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
Yep going to second the densiums. Alternatively, in the same style as the regular densium 4 but with slightly better cooling there's the SIXGE K2S v3.0 which can fir 2 90mm fans.
Or if you want to fit a bigger GPU, there's also the Velka 5, which can fit a 270mm GPU in a 5L enclosure, but beware, its not an easy case to build in.

One more thing I'm going to add is go for a proper Flex ATX PSU, the chinese ones with modular cables look attractive, but most are garbage quality.

Ones I'd recommend:
Low power:
FSP FlexGURU FSP300 (kinda modular)
SilverStone FX350-G

Mid range:
SilverStone FX500-G
FlexGURU PRO 500W

High end:
Enhance ENP-7660b
SilverStone FX600-PT

HWI

Average Stuffer
Sep 6, 2022
I have a Velka 5 (4.9L) and am very pleased with it. It has pretty good GPU support given the size, a little restrictive on CPU cooler size, but works quite well with 65W TDP class CPUs. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

Raikkonen

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 11, 2022
The Densium's look great - thanks for the quick replies! I'll see if I can get a build going. I looked into pcpartspicker but they don't list the Densium case. Whats the best way for me to ensure compatibility among all parts going forward? IE my 1st thought on the motherboard is the ASRock Z790M-miniITX but haven't looked into other parts yet

Thanks again

Reactions: rfarmer

Raikkonen

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 11, 2022
I have a Velka 5 (4.9L) and am very pleased with it. It has pretty good GPU support given the size, a little restrictive on CPU cooler size, but works quite well with 65W TDP class CPUs. Let me know if you have any questions about it.
Similar to my post below just now, as a newbie I try to use pcpartspicker, when a case isn't listed, whats the best way to ensure compatibility with all parts? Another website or finding people who own it and checking their builds on these forums?

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
The Densium's look great - thanks for the quick replies! I'll see if I can get a build going. I looked into pcpartspicker but they don't list the Densium case. Whats the best way for me to ensure compatibility among all parts going forward? IE my 1st thought on the motherboard is the ASRock Z790M-miniITX but haven't looked into other parts yet

Thanks again
I would look through the Densium thread for ideas on builds and components. You can ask questions there the case designer is quick to answer questions.

Reactions: Raikkonen

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2019
I got a SKTC A07 including dual reverse riser (PCIE3) and shipping for ~60€... currently im only using the riser in my custom case (4.32L). The case itself is my 'benchtable' with the front and sides removed you can get to everything and have unlimited GPU lenght/CPU height. The side panels are a bit restrictive, but can be moded and easy replaced because they are flat/no bends.

Also had a good experience with my FX 4.7 from Custom Mod.

This was just to name two alternatives, but PSU wise I'd just go with the HDPLEX 250W GaN... more than it can deliver I wouldn't ask from a silent >5L build.

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
Similar to my post below just now, as a newbie I try to use pcpartspicker, when a case isn't listed, whats the best way to ensure compatibility with all parts? Another website or finding people who own it and checking their builds on these forums?
You can find velka 5 builds on pcpartpicker and builds.gg if you need reference builds, as for finding components just check the max dimensions for each part in the specs. you can always ask here on the forum if you're not sure about something fitting

Edit: FYI: If you see a Velka 5 with an SFX PSU, that's the old V1.1 (6L) model, its revision is now called the Velka 7. The Case you're looking for is the Velka 5 V2.0.

Last edited:

HWI

Average Stuffer
Sep 6, 2022
Velkase's website is quite good with regard to listing dimensions for compatibility. That's what I used to determine what would work, especially with regard to GPU size and CPU cooler height. Also, Velkase is really good at responding to questions via email.

Reactions: Raikkonen

Raikkonen

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 11, 2022
Thanks to all.
im thinking the Velka 3 or 5.
im trying to decide between building 2 systems

1: Velka3 no GPU just strong enough to easily run photoshop. My current pc (Asus pn51) prebuilt is having issues recently and really slowing down in PhotoShop.
if I do this build I’d look to buy a PS5 for gaming using the money I save from not getting a GPU.

2: velka3 or maybe 5 with a good GPU to do gaming and not buy a ps5.

If I do option 1 I’m tempted to get a NUC again (used to have a skull canyon until it died) but I prefer the next pc to be fully upgradable unlike NUCs.

decisions decisions, haha.

Reactions: Arboreal

HWI

Average Stuffer
Sep 6, 2022
What resolution is your monitor? It's really easy to do a solid 1080p gaming build in the Velka 5, a lot of the GPUs that are good for 1080p gaming will fit in the Velka 5 no problem. If you game at 1440p or 4k you'll have some more homework to do with GPU compatibility just due to the size of the higher end GPUs.

I have no first hand experience with the Velka 3, but I believe you will be limited to single fan GPUs for that.

Raikkonen

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 11, 2022
What resolution is your monitor? It's really easy to do a solid 1080p gaming build in the Velka 5, a lot of the GPUs that are good for 1080p gaming will fit in the Velka 5 no problem. If you game at 1440p or 4k you'll have some more homework to do with GPU compatibility just due to the size of the higher end GPUs.

I have no first hand experience with the Velka 3, but I believe you will be limited to single fan GPUs for that.
I have a 35" 3440x1440 monitor.
im focusing my build around photoshop and specifically to play f1 2022 which recommends the Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti so that is my preferred minimum if not better.

I really wish NUC was more upgradable!

Last edited: