New SFF builder, here's my first

Kaden801

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Feb 2, 2020
I've built a few mid and full tower PCs and wanted to build an S4M to travel with, so here she is, don't mind the wiring mess as it was my first time dabbling in cable mods.

Everything fits perfectly and functions as intended, specs below.

Ryzen 3600
Asus B450i
Noctua L9a
Intel 1tb NVME M.2
Corsair vengeance 16gb 3600mhz
Zotac 2070 super mini
HDPlex 400w

Last edited:

Kaden801

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Feb 2, 2020
They are a little toasty but I'm working towards a remedy, apex on max settings @1440 seems to push the CPU to ~88c, GPU hit a max of 85c during the course of 2 games.

Any suggestions on a fix are welcome, however I'm not knowledgeable on CPU OC, I've heard undervolting may help but I haven't even look d into how to do it.

Kaden801

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Feb 2, 2020
Update, swapped the 3600 into my desktop and the 2700x into the S4, temps are better. I did however, find out I had a faulty MB, I bought a Aorus x570i to replace the B450 and now all is well, temps are still a little high but staying consistent 85 and below under load.

Desertf0x9

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
I'm surprised the 2700x runs cooler than the 3600, I would have expected the opposite. The 2700x isn't easy to cool.

aromachi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 18, 2019
Friend, you are in the wrong site... ?

I guarantee 99% of the people on here aren't building SFFs so they can put them in a bag with a monitor and keyboard and take them on trips. Just a make believe justification for building one imo, but I reckon most wouldn't admit to that.

Reactions: CubanLegend

hat1324

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 28, 2015
I guarantee 99% of the people on here aren't building SFFs so they can put them in a bag with a monitor and keyboard and take them on trips. Just a make believe justification for building one imo, but I reckon most wouldn't admit to that.

Proud to be a part of the 1% apparently...
And speaking of which, when the hell is the Asus XG17 coming???

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
That's a nice build sir, Might i recommend you undervolt the CPU and GPU so that you can lower your temps? I've done that on my 7700k and 1080 mini to great results..
I actually DO travel with mine lol, i even take my S4M-c into work somedays..

Ross Siggers

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 10, 2018
My SFF is hopefully coming with me to Canada later this year, from the UK. Can I also get admission to the exclusive "1% club"?

aromachi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 18, 2019
I actually DO travel with mine lol, i even take my S4M-c into work somedays..

I'm trying to put mine into a 5.3L bamboo box currently. Portable monitor is next and I'll be fully mobile. Glad to see there's people out there that travel with their SFFs. I remember seeing a guy post that he built an SFF because he sometimes moves it from one room of his house to the other lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Ross Siggers