• Hey Guest, save 20% on our entire merchandise range during the month of December! Use promo code MAKEITSMOL at Our Merchandise Store!

Log My first SFF build

Sephiroth

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Oct 5, 2021
Hi,

Here's my first SFF build:

Components:
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Asus X570-I
  • 32GB G.SKILL DDR4 RAM 3600MHz CL16
  • Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
  • Samsung 860 Pro 4TB
  • SSUPD Meshlicious
  • EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
  • Corsair SF750
  • NZXT Z63 w. 2x Noctua NF-A14 PWM
Everything works fine so far but I'm still fine tuning the cooling (vs. noise). Unfortunately the Asus X570-I has a noisy chipset fan and there is no option in the BIOS to change the fan curve. Does anyone have the same board and found a solution to reduce the fan speed? Additionally I have noticed that Z63 pump is louder than the X63 pump in my old build.

Greetings from Switzerland!

Reactions: BaK

BaK

King of Cable Management
May 17, 2016
Hi dear compatriot, and welcome to the forum!

Congrats on your first SFF build, dense as I like them and with very good cable management! :thumb:
You've got top notch hardware, what a beast!

Can't help with the noisy chipset fan, been avoiding actively cooled motherboards for that exact reason.
But if the fan has a regular connector, you could either connect it to another fan header on the motherboard and manage it from the BIOS, or add an electrical resistance like a Noctua LNA in order to reduce its speed.

Reactions: Sephiroth

Sephiroth

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Oct 5, 2021
Thanks! While checking the picture I've noticed that the lowest PCI-E power connector is not plugged in properly - this is corrected now. 😅
I was thinking about a fan cable adapter but unfortunately the fan has a proprietary connector. In case I can't find another solution I will solder a resistor in series to the 12V line in order to limit the speed to max. 4'500 rpm (but this takes time since I have to disassemble the mainboard for that).

rfarmer

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jul 7, 2017
Have you checked your BIOS version? I don't own this board but I remember posts saying that the chipset fan was controllable after a BIOS update.

Reactions: Arboreal

Sephiroth

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Oct 5, 2021
Yes, I have flashed the latest BIOS but unfortunately Asus does not provide any fan control (on any X570 board).