New revision of Ncase M1, when?

Nitpicky

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 3, 2018
Hello everyone!

Does anyone know if there's a new revision of the Ncase M1 soon?
For example a USB-C port in the front.

I'm thinking of buying the Ncase M1, but I don't want to buy it incase there's a new revision around the corner :D

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
It's possible V6 will happen next year, but not until after the Chinese New Year at the absolute earliest. That would put it at least March, but quite possibly later.

Type C support is frustrating. If you read or watch any of the "what is Type C?" content intended to inform consumers (e.g. this video or this article), it's billed as this great new standard that supports up to 100W of power delivery, twice the speed, even Thunderbolt 3. The problem is, none of that is inherent to Type C, which is just a connector, but rather are part of USB 3.1 Gen 2. And the problem there is that USB 3.1 Gen 2 is supported by literally only a couple of mini-ITX motherboards that use a new onboard header. It's been a couple of years now since this header first showed up on some ASUS motherboards, but it hasn't caught on at all with other motherboard makers, or even ASUS themselves on their latest boards. My own theory about that is that they're waiting until 3.1 Gen 2 is integrated into the chipset, because right now I believe it requires a separate controller.

So that leaves us with the following choice: we can add a Type C port, but it will have to run off the old 19pin USB 3.1 Gen 1 header, which doesn't support any of the new stuff. Once boards with the new header come out (assuming that happens), cases with the old 19pin Type C cable will need to be upgraded to take advantage of it, or else become obsolete (if the 19pin is entirely replaced). So incorporating Type C right now feels like an interim solution and a half measure, at best, with a limited lifespan and none of the improvements that it's purported to include.

Does that seem worth it?

thefiend1

Trash Compacter
Oct 6, 2017
Or you can sell the new front panel like an option or accessory, like the window panel or the odd slot

I would like to suggest this as well. Im actually interested in a front panel that has nothing except for the power button hole in the center. I never use the headphone or mic ports but I do use the USB ports, but im willing to get rid of both in order to keep the interior more tidy. The other issue is that the USB header cable is too long and stiff for a board like the asrock x299. It needs quite a bit of bends to get it in the right spot. Maybe offering another usb header that has a shorter, more pliable cable would solve that instead of getting rid of it. :)

Reactions: beepbeep20

gotcha43

Average Stuffer
Dec 10, 2018
Just found this thread.
Is there any news for new V6 revision?

Thinking about to buy one soon, but since V5 is ETA quite a while, I was wondering about V6 with maybe modular Front panel or Other finishes (sandblasted black would be great).

@Necere
Thanks in advance.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Just found this thread.
Is there any news for new V6 revision?

Thinking about to buy one soon, but since V5 is ETA quite a while, I was wondering about V6 with maybe modular Front panel or Other finishes (sandblasted black would be great).

@Necere
Thanks in advance.
No news yet.

Next shipping date through SFFLab is January 2nd, that's only 5 days? I couldn't really say when V6 will be ready, but I can guarantee it's still a least several months until you'll be able to order one.

I think a front panel with the usb connectors with a detachable cable (like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HR65LGW/?tag=theminutiae-20) could be very interesting. Any one can use extensions or custom cables (like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXVESB8/?tag=theminutiae-20) and safe some important space
That USB connector is comparatively huge btw, and would certainly create issues for anything mounted on the bottom of the case (fans/radiator, or even 2.5 slot GPUs).

Last edited:
Reactions: gotcha43

gotcha43

Average Stuffer
Dec 10, 2018
Thank you. I‘m in no hurry, just wanted to know, what kind of updates a V6 would get.

Maybe it‘s worth waiting for me. ;)

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I don't want to say too much until it's closer to being finalized, but I'll mention a couple of items:
  • ODD bracket redesigned to support both 12.7mm and 9.5mm optical drives (will be backward compatible)
  • 3.5" HDD cage redesigned to support either 2x 3.5" drives or 3x 2.5" drives (backward compatible)
  • Increased ventilation slots on the floor of the case, though at the expense of bottom drive mounting (which not many people use)

Drnrcr

Caliper Novice
Jan 1, 2019
I think as a fellow owner my big thing would be to have the side panel ventilation run farther down. Like the size of what an acrylic window would be. This way the gpu would have more air. Im sure a lot of people would upgrade their panel if this was an option.

Reactions: Bioforce

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
I don't want to say too much until it's closer to being finalized, but I'll mention a couple of items:
  • ODD bracket redesigned to support both 12.7mm and 9.5mm optical drives (will be backward compatible)
  • 3.5" HDD cage redesigned to support either 2x 3.5" drives or 3x 2.5" drives (backward compatible)
  • Increased ventilation slots on the floor of the case, though at the expense of bottom drive mounting (which not many people use)

Those all sound like excellent improvements. In particular, I love the idea of the Ncase having better ventilation around the GPU. I don't think I've seen any builds in which someone had drives instead of intake fans on the bottom, and I personally expect to do the same when I make my M1 build. It would be a direct improvement for a majority of users.

riktanius

Caliper Novice
Feb 21, 2018
I think as a fellow owner my big thing would be to have the side panel ventilation run farther down. Like the size of what an acrylic window would be. This way the gpu would have more air. Im sure a lot of people would upgrade their panel if this was an option.

Or even a 2 dot high row right next to where the GPU is, so air can come in and then out of the bottom.

gotcha43

Average Stuffer
Dec 10, 2018
Haha, can‘t wait, just ordered one at SFFlab, Seems out of Stock at the Moment. Hope it will ship soon.

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018

Any possibility of a half vented / half window side panel like the Cerberus used to have? I'd love to have a window, but don't want to sacrifice ventilation. Having a window around the GPU while still having the vented top half would be perfect.

Reactions: Brude27

Artmov

Chassis Packer
Nov 28, 2018

Yes, Increased ventilation please!

Any possibility of a half vented / half window side panel like the Cerberus used to have?

Thats a great idea to have as an option.

Reactions: Bioforce