New revision of Ncase M1, when?

Nitpicky

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 3, 2018
Yes, and in fact the first two prototypes were grey as well (different shades though).

No word from LL yet, so doesn't look like the prototype will be coming this week.

Alright, cool. So a grey option will be a thing when v6 will be open for pre-orders?
Thanks for replying.

C3N0B1T3

Average Stuffer
Oct 15, 2018
Ah man, grey would be epic. It's a shame there is no white version. But grey will be so much better than black or silver.

Alessio.B87

Average Stuffer
May 7, 2019
@Necere I heard from owners of past ncases that the black color chips or scratch quite easily if you are not delicate, revealing the silver underneath, would the gray do the same? Is it just paint on top of the bare alluminum?
I'm asking you this because I move my computer quite often and I need to make a decision based on that too, do you think silver is the best option in this case or can it be all right?

Reactions: Beardedswede

C3N0B1T3

Average Stuffer
Oct 15, 2018
I had a black V1 and it didnt scratch easily at all. In fact the build quality was better than my current case (Ghost S1).

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
I've had both the M1 and currently have a Ghost, and I wouldn't say the build quality is better than the Ghost, but the finish certainly is nicer on the M1. I feel like you would have to be pretty rough with the case to scratch the anodization off... so as long as you take care to not put metal on metal in the same bag, you should be safe to travel with it without getting scratches.

Reactions: Beardedswede

C3N0B1T3

Average Stuffer
Oct 15, 2018
I've had both the M1 and currently have a Ghost, and I wouldn't say the build quality is better than the Ghost, but the finish certainly is nicer on the M1. I feel like you would have to be pretty rough with the case to scratch the anodization off... so as long as you take care to not put metal on metal in the same bag, you should be safe to travel with it without getting scratches.
To be fair I sold the Ncase to get the Ghost so didnt have both at the same time to compare. I remember thinking "wow" on the Ncase and only "meh" on the Ghost though.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
@Necere I heard from owners of past ncases that the black color chips or scratch quite easily if you are not delicate, revealing the silver underneath, would the gray do the same? Is it just paint on top of the bare alluminum?
I'm asking you this because I move my computer quite often and I need to make a decision based on that too, do you think silver is the best option in this case or can it be all right?
Just so it's clear, the M1 has two finishes: anodizing on the exterior panels, and black paint on the chassis. The anodizing isn't usually a problem. Yes, it'll scratch if you ding it hard enough with something metal, and at that point the raw (silver) aluminum can show through.

It sounds like what you read about though is the paint on the internal chassis. It can chip off, though this mostly only happens right around the screw holes where the metal screws are in direct contact with the surface, and also where the side panel studs are clipped to the chassis. In both cases these would only be visible with the outer panels removed (with the exception of the back of the case).

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
To be fair I sold the Ncase to get the Ghost so didnt have both at the same time to compare. I remember thinking "wow" on the Ncase and only "meh" on the Ghost though.

The thickness of metal used and tolerances for panel alignment/fit is where the Ghost takes the edge of quality over the M1. I think the M1 uses 1.5mm thick aluminum vs the 3mm thick on the Ghost, and their manufacturing processes are in totally different leagues from one another. The perfection that is the way the top of the Ghost fits in the milled grooves of the front/back/side panels is a great example of the alignment/fit advantage over the M1. BUT again... I fully stand by my statement of the M1 having a much nicer finish than the Ghost. @Alessio.B87 Lian Li's anodization process is famous for a reason, and if your only concern with getting an M1 is the finish... you should definitely go for it.

Reactions: C3N0B1T3 and Engr62

Alessio.B87

Average Stuffer
May 7, 2019
Thank you everyone for your help, I would have bought the M1 anyway, my indecision was only on the color but now I know that it won't scratch easily so it's all good.

Reactions: Bounou

Demon Boy Jr

Average Stuffer
Sep 1, 2017
So I know the V1-5 side panels won't fit on the V6, but will the V5 Top ODD panel work on the V6? Will the V6 have an ODD slot option?

Sterio

Minimal Tinkerer
Jun 30, 2019
I think the absolute earliest production could be finished is end of July/early August. Depends what LL's schedule looks like though.

There's only 16.5mm behind the front panel, so even a slim fan would be completely choked unless the front of the panel had ventilation holes. That's not something I have any plans to do. The layout really doesn't lend itself to a front fan on account of where the PSU sits.

Thanks for respond, expect to get it soon.

Bubmer

Minimal Tinkerer
Jun 27, 2019
Hey just 2 quick questions,
Shipping is worldwide right? Just seeing if it can get shipped to mexico, 2nd question is whether most components that fit on the v5 would fit on the v6 i.e. a 3.5" drive, case fans etc

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Hey just 2 quick questions,
Shipping is worldwide right? Just seeing if it can get shipped to mexico, 2nd question is whether most components that fit on the v5 would fit on the v6 i.e. a 3.5" drive, case fans etc
Yes, SFFLab ships worldwide.

Compatibility is mostly the same between V5 and V6, with the exception of the removal of the drive mounts on the floor of the case.

L

LordEconomist

Thank you everyone for your help, I would have bought the M1 anyway, my indecision was only on the color but now I know that it won't scratch easily so it's all good.

Don't listen to the people in here. They seem to want to justify their purchase more than being truthful. I've had 4 NCASEs throughout the years and can assure you they scratch very easily. I actually sold 3 of them precisely because of the scratches, and even the latter I sold had scratches and marks.

Like you I travel a bit, and I also found myself changing specs in my case a bit (I had to experiment a bit and forth to find the most optimal set-up in terms of fan and noise, for example). And man did the NCASE scratch by the smallest touch to another hard material. Especially the black one, which was one of the reasons I stopped using it alltogether. The silver scratches just as easily as well, but it's not as glaring as the black one, as the silver is pure, uncolored metal.

I ended up being extremely careful with my case, treating the panels csrueful like they were explosive material, and even attached a ton of rubber bumper sticks on my last one as a precautionary measure. Didn't prevent it from getting scratches though, as there would always be that one time when a drinking glass, the headphones or something else touched them enough to scratch then. That one time I took one NCASE build to a big LAN event was the worst.

I even bought a ton of Plastidip as a plan to deal with scratches, but the Plastidip look was bad. Its removal was a huge pain in the ass as well (mostly due to the venting holes, where the dip got in between).

None of this would have been that big of ab issue had SFFLabs sold the panels for less than bloodthirsty prices. That way you could always have new fresh backup panels, and not worry about your current ones. With the success and growing sales of NCASE, economy of scale ought to have at least made these cheaper to manufacture. But I guess the company want to pursue even higher margins instead...

I can't comment on the Ghost S1. But it'll be my next build (I'll receive one in 3 wreks), due to its, imo, better look, as well as being substantially easier to build in (in that area, the NCASE, like ITX' in general, is a pain in the ass). I'm kind of excited about the new NCASE revision as well. It's still a fantastic case, both aesthetically and in build potential (its cooling options for CPU and GPU make it, if you choose to, the most quiet SFF build).

Last edited by a moderator: