New Dan Case Build Refuses to Power On (Help)

HWPG_253

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jun 26, 2019
Case - Dan Case A4-SFX v4
Motherboard - ASUS ROG Strix X470-I
CPU - AMD Ryzen 2 2700
GPU - GIGABYTE RTX 2080Ti Windforce 11G Graphics Card
RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 3200
Power Supply - Corsair SF750
Storage - (2) Samsung 970 Pro NvM2
Cooling - Asetek 645LT AIO

Hi everyone. I decided to take the plunge and enter the realm of SFF as I wanted great power, but in a compact format. As listed above, this is my new build, but I've been running into an issue getting it to boot.

I finally got all my parts in from their respective source, but it refuses to boot / power on. I've triple-checked polarity and connectivity. I thought my Motherboard was shot, so I got it replaced with a brand new unit, still no luck. I figured, "Maybe the PSU arrived defective ?" and performed the "Paperclip" test, which it past. Even after that, still got it swapped out for new unit, just in case. I read in the manual that an Orange light is to indicate the computer is in a state of "Stand-by." When the 24-pin Motherboard connector is plugged in, I don't see this Orange light.

I've tried with (1) memory module in each socket, both modules in each socket, no memory modules in the sockets, CPU installed, CPU removed, GPU installed, GPU removed, etc. I was reading through the manual and cleared the CMOS by removing the battery, and shorting the respective pins on the board; Still no luck. Also, I tried manually shorting the power switch pins to no avail. I've cycled through (2) Motherboards and PSUs. I'm on the verge of frustration with getting this build to boot. I'd really appreciate the guidance / input of the community in helping me get going.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Your triple checking must have included taking out and then reinserting the 24-pin mobo connector? Do not judge visually that the connector is plugged in. Even if the connector looks plugged in, it is still good to take it out and replug again. Do this at both ends, at the mobo and at the PSU.

Also, I suggest, as a first step, taking everything out of the case and have the motherboard sits on something else (eg on the motherboard package box) to see if the system boots up.

HWPG_253

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jun 26, 2019
Your triple checking must have included taking out and then reinserting the 24-pin mobo connector? Do not judge visually that the connector is plugged in. Even if the connector looks plugged in, it is still good to take it out and replug again. Do this at both ends, at the mobo and at the PSU.

Also, I suggest, as a first step, taking everything out of the case and have the motherboard sits on something else (eg on the motherboard package box) to see if the system boots up.
Correct. My triple-checking did include testing the system outside of the case for verification. If I push that 24-pin power cable in any further, I'm certain I'll damage something. Same goes for the 8-pin CPU power. It's definitely plugged in. I tested PSU power by performing the "Paperclip" test, also, by plugging up an old SATA HDD I had lying around; it powered with no issue. Either I'm missing something so obvious, or the universe is working to correct some past action I may have done ? Lol.

sheepdog43

Caliper Novice
Feb 17, 2019
Check if you have something grounding that shouldn't on the motherboard, a pinched cable, extra or missplaced standoff... Make sure it's only touching where it should. Sounds simple but it happens.
or
You have an NVME drive in a normal mini pci-e slot or you have bent pin in one of the slots. The slots look the same visually but can be wired different.

91Mackmr2

Trash Compacter
Jun 6, 2019
I don't know if you have the same problem I did, I replaced the mobo, and the psu, but it still didn't boot up, felt exactly like the way you described. So I sat there and stared the at the mobo, thinking what the heck is going. This was my first build, so you probably didn't make the same mistake I did. While staring at the mobo, I noticed I used the wrong set of pins on the mobo. There's two set on pins that were arranged exactly the same, you know, the one with one pins missing. I double checked the manual and sure enough, that's what it was. I don't know if that helped, but I know how you feel and I couldn't not say something. Good luck.

HWPG_253

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jun 26, 2019
Solved:

I realized my mistake today, as I returned home from the office. Turns out, I plugged the 24-pin cable into the Motherboard, and also the 18-pin cable on the other end into the SF 750 PSU, but I foolishly did not think to also plug in the corresponding 10-pin, as well into the PSU. *Insert picardfacepalm.jpg* Once I did so, the Motherboard lit up like a Christmas Tree. Thank you to everyone who gave their opinions and input. Glad I could get this resolved. Now, time to assemble my mini-beast lol.