Motherboard Need MB Recommendations to O.C. i5-2500k

shamilton1021

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Oct 17, 2019
I am looking to repurpose my old i5-2500k MB and MSI GTX 1060 6GB gaming GPU into either a SFF HTPC build for a streaming pc to add to a 2 PC set up. I dont plan to play many games on it but would like the option. I mainly would like to use it for 4k playback to maximize the picture quality on my 4k TV. I am looking for a MB that will fit a SFF like the Cougar QBX that I can also O.C. the CPU to max the performance. This is my First SFF build and I am looking to be as Budget-friendly as possible

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I am looking to repurpose my old i5-2500k MB and MSI GTX 1060 6GB gaming GPU into either a SFF HTPC build for a streaming pc to add to a 2 PC set up. I dont plan to play many games on it but would like the option. I mainly would like to use it for 4k playback to maximize the picture quality on my 4k TV. I am looking for a MB that will fit a SFF like the Cougar QBX that I can also O.C. the CPU to max the performance. This is my First SFF build and I am looking to be as Budget-friendly as possible
For an overclocked 2500k you are going to need either a z68 or z77 m itx motherboard, only place you can find those currently is the used market and they usually command pretty high prices.

shamilton1021

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Oct 17, 2019
For an overclocked 2500k you are going to need either a z68 or z77 m itx motherboard, only place you can find those currently is the used market and they usually command pretty high prices.
So I am assuming the next responce to that is they command such a high price that it is more intuative to just purchase newer equipment such as AMD ryzen and such?

shamilton1021

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Oct 17, 2019
Or P67, not sure if they came in ITX though.

Overall I'm not sure if a 2500K is worth it nowadays.
Yea I was just trying to get out cheap because I know its a good CPU and wanted to reuse it instead of it just sitting around. But from the feed back ive gotten it would be about the same if not cheaper to just buy new parts.

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
Motherboards in particular are hard to find for older CPUs, even though the CPUs are still plentiful and cheap on the used market. I think I do have a matx z68 board that hasn't been used in awhile, I'll PM just in case it might work for you.

Slowjim

Trash Compacter
Mar 12, 2019
I used to run a ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z and 2500k and it would do 5ghz all day long, literally by changing 2 options in BIOS. It was mATX though

Reactions: shamilton1021

shamilton1021

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Oct 17, 2019
I used to run a ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z and 2500k and it would do 5ghz all day long, literally by changing 2 options in BIOS. It was mATX though
I appreciate that input honestly. I think though I am going to just sell my old parts I practically have a whole PC sitting here. MB, CPU, RAM, GPU, PSU. and I even have a case as well LOL so yea