Power Supply Power supply options for ~200W GTX1060/i5-8400 build?

ninjanymo

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 16, 2018
Hi SFF!

I'm currently conceptualizing a SFF build which I want to make as small as possible. I'll do the case from scratch, but I want to get all the hardware figured and in-hand so I can prototype the case using the actual hardware it'll fit.

For hardware, I've decided on the following:
  • CPU: Intel i5-8400. Seems like the best gaming CPU one can get at the moment.
  • GPU: Some GTX1060 6GB, probably Zotac's mini version. Should be plenty for 1080p or possibly 1440p gaming.
  • MOBO: Any mITX board I like the look off which has decent on-board audio.
  • RAM: 16GB of 2666MHz DDR4 RAM. Possibly 32GB if I could spare the change. 2666MHz as is recommended by Intel.
  • SSD: I'll use an Kingston HyperX 480GB SATA SSD as I already have that.
With the CPU's TDP of 65W and the GPU's 120W, I reckon the whole system would run slightly above 200W on full load.

I really like the idea of the DC/DC pico style PSUs that fit directly on the 24-pin header and at this point I'm expecting to have an external brick anyways.

I wish something like HDPLEX's 160W DC-ATX solution was readily available with ~250W as for now the only option for that style of PSU seems to be Gury's custom made ones which seems to be sort of a hassle to purchase. However, Gury's DIY concept is really cool so I'll probably end up getting one of his PSUs if I don't find a better alternative.

Then there is the HDPLEX 400W PSU, which is definitely a candidate although it involves making room in the case for more hardware. It also has a significant power overhead from what I'm actually going to need.

And finally, I've looked at the KMPKT PSUs, where it seems I would need the combo of the Mini 160 and the Dynamo 360 to power the build, which I guess is even worse as it both sits on the 24-pin and needs an additional device in the case.

So what I'm wondering is if there are any other options I missed? Or if one of the options I have mentioned above would actually turn out to work for the build.

Thanks,
NN

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
I wish something like HDPLEX's 160W DC-ATX solution was readily available with ~250W as for now the only option for that style of PSU seems to be Gury's custom made ones which seems to be sort of a hassle to purchase. However, Gury's DIY concept is really cool so I'll probably end up getting one of his PSUs if I don't find a better alternative.

what are you looking for ?

i have Gury's internal 300W unit, and a G-Unique ArchDeamon Limited 400W.

Reactions: CARC Mini

ninjanymo

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 16, 2018
what are you looking for ?

i have Gury's internal 300W unit, and a G-Unique ArchDeamon Limited 400W.

I would have gotten the 300W external brick with the baseline model

What does this internal 300W unit look like?

ninjanymo

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 16, 2018
i have this also :

With which set of cables attached? I might be interested in just that unit by itself.

ninjanymo

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 16, 2018
You can run that combo on the Dynamo Mini alone.

Interesting. Wouldn't that be really hard on the Dynamo if some game decides to put a full load on the CPU and the GPU for longer periods of time? I reckon upcoming games such as Battlefield 5 might actually do that.

Further, what would actually happen in such a scenario; 1) would the CPU/GPU throttle due to lack of power or 2) would the Dynamo get seriously hot and 2.1) start a fire or 2.2) perform some thermal shutdown?

I'm a bit skeptical, considering the 1060 is known to peak at 140W.

While I have you here, is it a significant challenge to increase the capacity of these devices say with ~56W? It seems like a lot of people consider the 1050ti the best GPU you could run on these will still remaining within a comfort zone if your build would run on full load for a longer time.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
@Josh | NFC has your build up as a BOM with just the Dynamo Mini as you can see here:

http://nfc-systems.com/boms/

Considering the number of systems he builds with this configuration, perhaps he could offer some confirmation that this is a safe and stable build.

As far as increasing the capacity of these units, we couldn't do so without making the units significantly larger. That being said, it is something we've spoken about for future iterations.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
The dynamo mini is almost capable of powering a 1070. It can’t, but I'm making a point thingy. XD

I’ve built quit a few 1060 systems with the Dynamo Mini / HDPLEX 160 DC DC ; I always have to clarify the DC-DC units should not be confused with the AC-DC units by the same name.

The Dynamo Mini can't start a fire, unfortunately. It will just turn off. The Pico 160xt can though after running 500w through it for 30 mins. I still recommend gasoline and matches (or running occt for 30 seconds) for best fire results.

I have many videos on pico style units if it interests you. If you are still skeptical then go with the HDPLEX 400 or Dynamo Duo.

Peace

ninjanymo

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 16, 2018
The dynamo mini is almost capable of powering a 1070. It can’t, but I'm making a point thingy. XD

I’ve built quit a few 1060 systems with the Dynamo Mini / HDPLEX 160 DC DC ; I always have to clarify the DC-DC units should not be confused with the AC-DC units by the same name.

The Dynamo Mini can't start a fire, unfortunately. It will just turn off. The Pico 160xt can though after running 500w through it for 30 mins. I still recommend gasoline and matches (or running occt for 30 seconds) for best fire results.

I have many videos on pico style units if it interests you. If you are still skeptical then go with the HDPLEX 400 or Dynamo Duo.

Peace

If you recommend this setup in your BOM I figure it should be a good soluton. I would definetely by interested in some videos on the pico style units, where could I find those?

Also, does the DC-DC unit produce a lot of heat?

Duality92

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 12, 2018
my 8600k and 1070, in 1440p gaming pull 180w from the wall with a silverstone 450 sfx psu. You might be able to pull it off with a HDPlex 160 dc-atx.

Mauley

Chassis Packer
May 6, 2018
CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L9i 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock - H370M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston - FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 1.0TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Mini Video Card
Other: NFC Skyrech S4 Mini
Other: Anti Vandal Switch
Other: KMPKT 160w Pico PSU
Other: Dell ADP-330AB B Power Adapter

I have been happily running this build with no issues. Not sure how much is being pulled from wall but, from all stress and gaming testing done I never experienced any issues. Cable management was easy with the Pico in there and an M.2.[/URL]

Reactions: Josh | NFC

ninjanymo

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 16, 2018
I guess that closes the case then. No need to go through Gury to get one of the G-uniques, and go for the HDPLEX 160 DC-ATX or the KMPKT Dynamo Mini 160 DC-ATX with an original Dell brick.

Thanks everyone!

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 11, 2017
my 8600k and 1070, in 1440p gaming pull 180w from the wall with a silverstone 450 sfx psu. You might be able to pull it off with a HDPlex 160 dc-atx.

That's crazy. I have an older 95W cpu and a GTX970 and it was peaking at like 250W during stress.

Duality92

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 12, 2018
at stock, I can check how much they pull, they might break the 200W barrier, but the HDPlex 160 is actually made to take 200W peaks easily.