Need advice for a new Case

Marv21

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 28, 2016
Hello there,
i want to build a minimalistic RIG for VR Gaming.
Just MB/CPU/RAM with graphicCard and one SSD and one M2 SSD.

But I haven't decided yet about some things:

First: If i go with own Rig, instead of buying a laptop, which Case should i Pick? The smallest one that comes to my mind is the Raven RVZ02.
But its not as small as i liked. I could buy the AMD Nano and that were wasted Space in the Case. I like the new Case from Freilicht, but he wont be ready in the next week (I need the Rig soon).
Are there any smaller Cases? I like them flat.

Second: I want a mobile LCD. But the Thread here with links are only to expensive ones... I dont need high Hz or so.
I just need a good resolution with good colour. But i dont find any.
Another option would be to buy a little suitcase and place a cheap Monitor for about 70€ in it. This way I could store a Keyboard with Pad on the other side.

Thirdly: My last choice would be to buy a Notebook with eGPU, because there are few with Thunderbolt3 and they are very expensive. (GPU Dock alone are around 400$)

I hope you can give me advise, iam a bit lost in the possibilitys :D

Last edited:

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Are you intending to travel with this a lot?

If VR is a chief concern, that would normally all but eliminate using a laptop - there's simply not one out there that will perform reasonably well, and an eGPU is kludgy and expensive (and limits you to a very small list of laptops anyway). For the money, a desktop will cost less for substantially better performance, and will be upgradeable in the future.

That said, if the portability of a laptop is a big win for you, you'll have to decide what's more valuable, that or good enough VR performance, and then go from there.

Marv21

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 28, 2016
I travel like 1 time in year. So thats wont be a big deal. But i will transport that system often. So it should be small.
The Laptop solution is crap, like you said. So iam searching now for the smallest Case with space for an mITX and an AMD Nano with one SSD.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
But its not as small as i liked. I could buy the AMD Nano and that were wasted Space in the Case. I like the new Case from Freilicht, but he wont be ready in the next week (I need the Rig soon).

Thanks! It will indeed still take quite a while for that to be finished.

I don't know of any case that is as small as Brevis S and can fit your configuration of components that would be available right now, granted you want an internal PSU. The Hutzy XS is just 4L, but it's not yet available either.

If you want to delve into the world of external PSUs, may I suggest you look at the S4 Mini? It does use an external PSU, but is a flat case for ITX GPUs and mITX motherboards just like mine, and you can buy it right now. IIRC, the R9 Nano didn't behave well with external PSUs, though. There is a case from LogicSupply with a similar layout, don't know what it's called though.

I do agree that the laptop idea wouldn't work out, eGPU cases are way too big right now and designed as stationary docking stations more than anything else.

The screen issue doesn't seem to have any good solutions, there are those GeChic monitors, but I'm not sure about the quality of those.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016

Marv21

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 28, 2016
Thanks! It will indeed still take quite a while for that to be finished.

I don't know of any case that is as small as Brevis S and can fit your configuration of components that would be available right now, granted you want an internal PSU. The Hutzy XS is just 4L, but it's not yet available either.

If you want to delve into the world of external PSUs, may I suggest you look at the S4 Mini? It does use an external PSU, but is a flat case for ITX GPUs and mITX motherboards just like mine, and you can buy it right now. IIRC, the R9 Nano didn't behave well with external PSUs, though. There is a case from LogicSupply with a similar layout, don't know what it's called though.

I do agree that the laptop idea wouldn't work out, eGPU cases are way too big right now and designed as stationary docking stations more than anything else.

The screen issue doesn't seem to have any good solutions, there are those GeChic monitors, but I'm not sure about the quality of those.

The Hutzy XS is very nice too. It would totally fit my needs. The S4, i dont find a PSU with enough power (250watt at least).
The GeChic ones are expensive and not so good (Farbstich).

Marv21

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 28, 2016
OK guys. I dont need a case now. I could just transport it spare by now.
But i have to buy the things.
Hutzy XS and Freilichts Cases need Flex PSUs. So would it ok to buy a FlexPSU + mITX now and buy the case later?

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
That would work absolutely fine, if you make sure that the FlexATX PSU is only 150mm long. Both our cases don't support FlexATX PSUs longer than that, so the 190mm ones won't fit.

What do you mean transporting it spare? Are you talking about throwing all the parts into your bag and carrying the PC around that way? Because that sounds like a terrible and expensive mistake.

michaelmitchell

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 12, 2016
The Hutzy XS is very nice too. It would totally fit my needs. The S4, i dont find a PSU with enough power (250watt at least).
The GeChic ones are expensive and not so good (Farbstich).

S4 mini with GTX970 is my pick for portable VR. You can definitely get 330W & 350W bricks to use with HDPLEX PSU and you could probably power it on a 240W at a push but Dell 330w would be the safest. There is a link to both the HDPLEX and Dell 330W brick on the S4 mini website.

You might also consider the Sentry which looks like it is getting close to shipping but I would expect at least another 2-3 months minimum before that actually happens. I would prefer this size/shaped case for a portable VR rig since it still fits in a laptop bag even at its larger size but takes a larger GPU and SFX-L PSU, however I am not a huge fan of the design and construction used for the Sentry so I ordered an S4 until there are more options in the same form factor.

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
The smallest off the shelf case in a 'flat' form factor that I am aware of is the Fractal Design Node 202 at 10.2l, followed by the Silverstone's ML08/RVZ02 at 12.2l.

Marv21

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 28, 2016
That would work absolutely fine, if you make sure that the FlexATX PSU is only 150mm long. Both our cases don't support FlexATX PSUs longer than that, so the 190mm ones won't fit.

What do you mean transporting it spare? Are you talking about throwing all the parts into your bag and carrying the PC around that way? Because that sounds like a terrible and expensive mistake.

Nearly, would transport it in a suitcase where every part is safe, and then just place it on the desk...

https://shop.yakkaroo.de/300W-Flex-ATX-Mini-Netzteil-Seasonic-SSP-300SUG-fuer-1HE-/-1U
would this ok?
You once spoke about an Platinium one. But i dont find the Thread... iFreilicht maybe you can sold me one :)? You are living near to me ^^

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Nearly, would transport it in a suitcase where every part is safe, and then just place it on the desk...

https://shop.yakkaroo.de/300W-Flex-ATX-Mini-Netzteil-Seasonic-SSP-300SUG-fuer-1HE-/-1U
would this ok?
You once spoke about an Platinium one. But i dont find the Thread... iFreilicht maybe you can sold me one :)? You are living near to me ^^

I see, I guess that's reasonably safe.

That Seasonic PSU would be ok. The important part is this:

Abmessungen (BxHxT) : 81,5mm x 40,5mm x 150mm

Yes the 500W Platinum one would be best, but I didn't get my hands on one, either. Your best option right now is the FSP400-60FGGBA, you can import it from the US quite easily. 400W and 80+ Gold are more than enough for an R9 Nano and an i7 and the overhead will yield a quieter system.