Concept Necere's concept/ideation thread

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015
Hey Necere, if you don't mind me asking, which software are you using for design and rendering?

Your renders are so slick, drool worthy :thumb:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
@Necere; you, sir, are SUCH a tease...! ;^p

I have to agree Boil, every time I see one of these concepts I think man that would be so cool. Unfortunately not to be. This latest would work perfectly for me. I have a Swiftech Apogee Drive II, a 240mm HWLabs radiator and a MSI GTX 1070 itx. That would be an awesome build in this case. ;)

Reactions: Nasp

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I might work on it some more, see how far I get with it. I'm kind of into the concept right now, but we'll see how I feel about it in a couple of weeks.

In the meantime though, w360 is working on something he'll be revealing soon that some of you might like better anyway.

Hey Necere, if you don't mind me asking, which software are you using for design and rendering?

Your renders are so slick, drool worthy :thumb:
Sketchup+Octane, same as ever. You can get good results with any decent CAD or rendering program, though. It's really less about the software, and more about having an eye for what looks good, and the patience and willingness to mess around with it until you get something you like.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
No, unfortunately:

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I'm curious what people think of the front grille design of this concept, whether like, dislike, or indifferent.

Even if this particular case doesn't make it past the concept stage, I may carry some of the design elements over to other case designs.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Despite my earlier dig, I actually quite like the grill design. Definitely unique. Would it be possible to get a render of it straight on?

Reactions: Nasp

Nasp

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 17, 2017
Ditto. It looks good and it's also quite unique. Doesn't look cheap, but quite refined .

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
The grille looks good in your renders (light effects, shadows,...), wondering if it still will be IRL and won't look like a toaster or heater...

Without changing anything, a DDC with a small res can fit on the bottom:

Maybe having a 3.5" reservoir under the PSU would leave enough room on the bottom for a D5, just a thought...

Unfortunately the only one I find is from Bitspower and seems to be discontinued: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/bi3bayresbla.html

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
The grille looks good in your renders (light effects, shadows,...), wondering if it still will be IRL and won't look like a toaster or heater...
Well, it looks like a grille to let air flow through, which is what it is, and it serves the same function it does on those appliances. There's nothing wrong with something that looks like just what it is, and no more. Indeed, that kind of purity of design is what I aim for these days. Reduce everything to the essential elements, harmonize and refine what remains.

Maybe having a 3.5" reservoir under the PSU would leave enough room on the bottom for a D5, just a thought...

Unfortunately the only one I find is from Bitspower and seems to be discontinued: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/bi3bayresbla.html
A D5 wouldn't fit anyway. They're a fair bit bigger than the DDC (yet people seem to prefer them).

Hey @Necere the case looks stunning as always! What about making the lines vertical? Maybe you should look at Project Orthrus or DSE Breathe grill designs. :)
Long unbroken vertical slots probably wouldn't work that well structurally. Smaller, staggered slot patterns like on the Breathe IMO look better if they can be brought all the way to the edge (either wrapping around the edge, or extending under another panel). Otherwise, the border of the hole pattern is visible, and since they're staggered that uneveness at the border usually ends up looking a bit awkward. I do like the Breathe though, for what it is.

Apart from that, the horizontal slots are visually cohesive with the front I/O cutout in a way that vertical slots wouldn't be.

Then you would be blocking the fan intake for the PSU...
You'd want the PSU fan facing up with the 3.5" bay fully populated. Facing it down would mainly be for if you were concerned about water leaking into it with a full water loop, and in that case you'd want to keep it to a single 2.5" drive in that bay.

I forgot that generally people here are less into windows, and this concept is explicitly intended as a windowed case, so it may be less appealing to some here.

Conceptually, I specifically didn't want to make any bold statements with the design of the case itself. Rather, the case here should serve as something like a frame for a painting; unobtrusive and complimentary, so the viewer's attention is drawn instead to what's going on inside the case -- to the parts assembled together by the system builder/artist.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
The grille looks good in your renders (light effects, shadows,...)Maybe having a 3.5" reservoir under the PSU would leave enough room on the bottom for a D5, just a thought...

Then you would be blocking the fan intake for the PSU...

A D5 wouldn't fit anyway. They're a fair bit bigger than the DDC (yet people seem to prefer them).

You'd want the PSU fan facing up with the 3.5" bay fully populated. Facing it down would mainly be for if you were concerned about water leaking into it with a full water loop, and in that case you'd want to keep it to a single 2.5" drive in that bay.

My apologies to @BaK , I totally forgot about the 3.5" bay down below...!

There IS a reservoir / pump combo that would work there...

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
That's a 5.25" bay res, so no dice unfortunately. I did try enlarging the case to accommodate a 5.25" bay expressly for this purpse, but I really wasn't happy with the extra width it added.

LOL, I fraked up there...