Concept <20L Case with 2x360mm Radiator Support - Idea and concept (No pics yet)

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Aug 7, 2018
I've been brainstorming for a while and I have a concept for a case I'd like to know thoughts and critiques of.
Obviously without any images it's difficult to critique so bear with me as I'm gonna try and set up a simple 3D render soon to show my idea.

In essence, my idea is a vertical tower Mini-ITX enclosure making use of sandwich design of back to back GPU/Motherboard.
The core of the chassis would measure 130mm wide x 410mm tall x 200mm deep for the core structure, so 10.7 liters in total.

In addition there would be 130mm x 410mm x 60mm extensions that can be added to either side, each capable of housing a slim 360mm radiator and 3 fans.
With 2 of these extensions the total volume would be around 17.1 liters.

The core idea would be to allow for 60mm of GPU room, to allow for triple slot GPU's which are more common now as well as ample length for big card, as well as just under 60mm of CPU cooler height.

The idea is to allow the base 10.7 liter case to support effectively any PSU and a 120mm AIO for maximum hardware compatibility, but enthusiasts would be able to create a system with maximum cooling and overclocking potential.

I'm curious to know people's thoughts, especially those with more experience designing and fabricating enclosures, as to whether this idea in my head would be feasible or if I have missed something completely that would stop this being possible.

Apologies for lack of images at this stage, I have scribbled this down in red pen on a notepad a million times, but haven't attempted any 3d renders yet.

Cheers

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Of course, anything could be feasible. What you're describing sounds like it would be expensive to manufacture because you might end up with many parts. Ideally, these extra cooling modules would have to be identical but compatible with either side so that there are fewer different parts to manufacture.

vex_sb

Average Stuffer
May 11, 2018
2x360 for cpu and gpu is overkill . 2x240 is enough.

any psu ?? sfx and sfx-l are can handle that.

Both suggestions gives you more chance to shrink the case more.

i am thinking of making case myself, sfx.l , itx, mini gpu ( 1080 ti mini with waterblock should be around 22 centimeters ), 2x240mm rads, should be below 15 liters :) . not for everyone but could be interesting :D

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Subscribed to see what you might come up with. I'm in the camp of having a hard time visualizing at present and it's that desire that drives me to see what you mean.

rodarkone

Cable Smoosher
Nov 19, 2019
#vex_sb - "2x360 for cpu and gpu is overkill" <- I don't agree with this statement :) also there AIO (especially for GPU) are very awkwardly placed and make the choice of a SFF case almost impossible

I think we are all enthusiasts here trying to squeeze the maximum amount of power in the lowest volume possible without compromising on noise or performance.
in today's world GPU's are hot and CPU's are even hotter pumping up to 1.4 V thru a lot of cores

Anyway - this is my project - but with the NEW GPU connectors .. extra cables .. etc I "delayed" the upgrade to latest tech a lot ..