Concept Necere's concept/ideation thread

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
With the original concept, the component layout is where the graphics card is immediately behind the intake fans. I also notice a side window. What are your thoughts for cool air supply for the cpu cooler? A tower cooler could have intake from top I/O, or rear. A top-down cooler would have to be lower profile due to window.
Top I/O is love/hate for me. Bottom would be cleaner, but challenging for access and longer connectors.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
With the original concept, the component layout is where the graphics card is immediately behind the intake fans. I also notice a side window. What are your thoughts for cool air supply for the cpu cooler? A tower cooler could have intake from top I/O, or rear. A top-down cooler would have to be lower profile due to window.
Airflow is in through the front, out through the back. Obviously, the CPU and PSU are going to get air that's been through the GPU, but I'm betting on the high overall air volume being moved by the front 140mms and rapid cycling limiting the overall temperature rise so the negative impact on the CPU/PSU should be limited.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Airflow is in through the front, out through the back. Obviously, the CPU and PSU are going to get air that's been through the GPU, but I'm betting on the high overall air volume being moved by the front 140mms and rapid cycling limiting the overall temperature rise so the negative impact on the CPU/PSU should be limited.

Thanks for the detailed illustration! Are there cpu tower coolers that can be mounted vertically (horizontally in this case)?

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Not sure I understand the question. You can use any cooler - tower or top-down - that comes in under the height limit (~145mm). Maybe it will help if I use realistic components:

That's a Noctua NH-U9S, which a 125mm tall tower cooler.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Not sure I understand the question. You can use any cooler - tower or top-down - that comes in under the height limit (~145mm). Maybe it will help if I use realistic components:

That's a Noctua NH-U9S, which a 125mm tall tower cooler.
I get it now. (Little slow here)
For some reason, I keep thinking that a 92mm tower will be too close to the graphics card. From your picture, there seem to be at least 40mm of space between graphics card and the 92mm fan.
Thanks!

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Yes I can get a bit long-winded, I know.
No, not meant as critique, I really would love to read a book about your journey into design. I've bought the book about Jony Ive for the same reason, it's fascinating and tends to read much more comfortably on paper (or e-paper).

Reactions: owliwar

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
No, not meant as critique, I really would love to read a book about your journey into design. I've bought the book about Jony Ive for the same reason, it's fascinating and tends to read much more comfortably on paper (or e-paper).
I'd double that

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Nice, that's two confirmed book sales. Should be a cakewalk to get a publisher on board now ;)
One more from myself. If your publisher will allow you to sell it DRM-Free like TOR does for Cory Doctorow's works, that would be great!

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
And ofcourse you need to have a Limited Edition which is an aluminium case that holds the book, but can also hold a ThinITX board !

Reactions: cmyk78

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
How about the Ultimate Limited Edition which looks like a bound hardback book, but you pick it up & open it and read from the screens within...?

Two portrait mode screens within, so if there is a pic or illustration, there can always be annotations next to it (rather than flipping back & forth or having smaller pics on a single screen)...

The cover is also a solar panel, to charge the book...!

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Been a while since I posted anything new here. I came up with something over the weekend that I'm a little enamored with atm, and thought I'd share:

This came about while exploring ways of doing full glass side windows, and I hit on a layout that I think offers a nice balance of features/size. It's a short-depth design, with support for short GPUs only, plus some watercooling capability with room for a 240 rad up front (EK Phoenix rad is in the model). Obviously intended as a showcase, with windows on both sides and a back-to-back layout.

Airflow is 2x120 front, 1x120 top, for positive pressure (w/dust filter). There's a single 3.5" drive bay at the bottom that's open at the rear, so you could have a hotswap 2x2.5" drive bay down there, for example.

Specs:
  • Dimensions: 320x150x260mm, 12.5L
  • CPU cooler: limited (AIO/watercooling is probably mandatory)
  • GPU: <~175mm with front rad
  • PSU: SFX
  • Bays: 1x 3.5" external bay (rear facing)
  • Fans: 2x120mm front, 1x120mm top

No plans to build it, let alone put it into production, but I thought it was neat and some people might like it.

Nasp

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 17, 2017
In a custom loop, where would you mount the pump or pump/res combo?

Looks great BTW. I like the front fan grill a lot!

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
In a custom loop, where would you mount the pump or pump/res combo?

Looks great BTW. I like the front fan grill a lot!
Thanks.

Custom loop would most likely have to use an expandable AIO like the Phoenix. I really tried to to work out a place for a res, but it just wasn't happening without making the case bigger. It might still be possible to get a small pump/res on the case floor though, with a slimmer rad.

Nasp

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 17, 2017
Thanks.

Custom loop would most likely have to use an expandable AIO like the Phoenix. I really tried to to work out a place for a res, but it just wasn't happening without making the case bigger. It might still be possible to get a small pump/res on the case floor though, with a slimmer rad.

Is there enough room to mount a horizontal pump/res either below or above the GPU?

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Is there enough room to mount a horizontal pump/res either below or above the GPU?
Definitely not for any kind of D5 or DDC pump/res. Maybe an XSPC Ion, if the GPU were moved up.

Without changing anything, a DDC with a small res can fit on the bottom: