Log Ncase T1 v 2.5

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
2,740
2,876
Spokane, WA
UEfQswg.jpg

d9t6VON.jpg

qIFwzCe.jpg

nMzGU7R.jpg


Just finished getting my T1 all together and thought I would post it here. Love the case, such nice quality.

Ncase T1 v2.5
Intel Core Ultra 7 265k
Gigabyte Z890i Aorus Ultra
Inno3d RTX 5080 X3 OC
2 X 16GB T-Create Expert 7200 MHz CL 34
Corsair SF600 Platinum
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB NVMe M.2
Crucial 1TB P1 NVMe M.2
Crucial 2TB MX500 2.5 SSD
Corsair Nautilus 240mm AIO
Noctua NF-A12x25 and NF-A12x15 PWM chromax.black.swap
3d printed M19 hole plugs and lower height Nautilus pump top

Why Intel? Because I am stubborn and wanted to stick with Intel I also got a new 265k for $330 and a new z890i motherboard for $220. For the same price you are looking at 9700X and B850i, I did a lot of comparisons between the two and gaming is very close and Intel wins in pretty much all workload related tasks. As far as temps are concerned I am actually pretty amazed. Gaming I see average of 45-55C with an occasional spike to 60C. 68C on the GPU. Running Cinebench, both R23 and R24, max temp on 2 cores was 80C with the other cores at 76 and 78C. R23 multicore score is 35110 and R24 is 2113. From AMD you need to go up to a 9900X to beat those scores. If building new I would have used a 750 or 850W PSU but I already had the SF600 so decided to see how it would do. I have the 5080 undervolted and max power draw is 275W and at max the 265k pulls 200W but is usually well under that. So for the time being it is fine but if it becomes a problem I will upgrade.

Reasoning behind the 5080 is I want to upgrade to a Ultra Wide OLED so that will be my next upgrade, still using a 1440p 144Hz monitor and getting some pretty insane FPS, usually over 200FPS with everything maxed.
 

PVC

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 12, 2020
270
124
Very Nice Build!! I would copy that build if I were a gamer.

I have quit using 2.5 SSDs for storage. Instead I use (only/all) NVMe M.2 drives;
  • small capacity 1TB NVMe for C: = OS/Operating System, currently Windows 11
  • larger capacity 4TB NVMe for D: = Documents/Pictures/Storage
  • even larger capacity 8TB E: offline/external-USB for offline storage (which is "idle/powered down when not in use for offline storage or retrieval")
For short term backup or restore I use lightening-fast disk image (Backup and Restore);
  • Backup disk image (C: NVMe to D:NVMe)
  • Restore disk image (D: NVMe to C:NVMe)
 
Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
3,930
3,085
FRANCE
Nice setup!
I can only approve the undervolting on a open shroud GPU RTX 5080 inside the T1. What fan speed & heat are you experiencing?
If I remember well you are in 2.75 slots setup for the GPU for the T1?
 

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
2,740
2,876
Spokane, WA
Nice setup!
I can only approve the undervolting on a open shroud GPU RTX 5080 inside the T1. What fan speed & heat are you experiencing?
If I remember well you are in 2.75 slots setup for the GPU for the T1?
Thank you, yes 2.75 slot. Temps are really good, 68-72C at 275W power draw. Fan speed is 1800-2000 rpm.
 

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
2,740
2,876
Spokane, WA
Been meaning to post this update. 3d printed parts are very handy but they look like 3d printed parts so I sanded down the pump cover and painted it with some matte black.


formdcover.jpg
 
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: MarcParis

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
2,740
2,876
Spokane, WA
what about the Corsair Nautilus? is it efficient? Pump noise?
I hadn't had an AIO in about 10 years and I was honestly worried about pump noise but I have been really pleased with how quiet it is running the pump at 80%. I didn't use any other coolers on the 265k so I wasn't sure what to expect but the Nautilus has been excellent. Depending on game I get 45-55C with highs of about 60C. Running Cinebench both R23 and R24 I get a max of 80C on 2 cores and 76 and 78C on the other cores and that is at 200W.
 
  • Like
Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
3,930
3,085
FRANCE
I hadn't had an AIO in about 10 years and I was honestly worried about pump noise but I have been really pleased with how quiet it is running the pump at 80%. I didn't use any other coolers on the 265k so I wasn't sure what to expect but the Nautilus has been excellent. Depending on game I get 45-55C with highs of about 60C. Running Cinebench both R23 and R24 I get a max of 80C on 2 cores and 76 and 78C on the other cores and that is at 200W.
Thanks for this feeback.
What is not so complicated to handle in inside the FormD T1?
 

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
3,930
3,085
FRANCE
As a stupid question, have you ever tried to cool your Ultra 7 265K with a 47mm air cooler like AXP90-47 or IS-47XT (or a bit taller as you are not in 3 slots mode) ?
I'm interested to know how the ultra 7 265k is behaving vs limited cooling solution. My 12600k is working very well with an AXP90-47.
 
  • Like
Reactions: rfarmer

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
2,740
2,876
Spokane, WA
As a stupid question, have you ever tried to cool your Ultra 7 265K with a 47mm air cooler like AXP90-47 or IS-47XT (or a bit taller as you are not in 3 slots mode) ?
I'm interested to know how the ultra 7 265k is behaving vs limited cooling solution. My 12600k is working very well with an AXP90-47.
The original plan was to use the AXP-100 FC that I had previously used on my 13600kf but the cooler isn't compatible with my current motherboard. I was worried about the 200W that the 265k can draw and just went straight to the AIO. I do wish I could tried air cooling, I think it would be perfectly fine while gaming but would probably require undervolts/power limit under load.
 
  • Like
Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
3,930
3,085
FRANCE
The original plan was to use the AXP-100 FC that I had previously used on my 13600kf but the cooler isn't compatible with my current motherboard. I was worried about the 200W that the 265k can draw and just went straight to the AIO. I do wish I could tried air cooling, I think it would be perfectly fine while gaming but would probably require undervolts/power limit under load.
What temperature were you experiencing with the AXP-100 FC with the is 13600K? Was it also inside the FormD T1?
 

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
2,740
2,876
Spokane, WA
What temperature were you experiencing with the AXP-100 FC with the is 13600K? Was it also inside the FormD T1?
It lived in the Terra most of the time but spent a couple months in the T1. Gaming was 60-65C in the T1 and 65-70C in the Terra, those top exhaust fans really make a difference. It would throttle and hit 95C running Cinebench but this was at stock settings. Idled in the low to mid 30s at about 20C ambient.
 
  • Like
Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
3,930
3,085
FRANCE
It lived in the Terra most of the time but spent a couple months in the T1. Gaming was 60-65C in the T1 and 65-70C in the Terra, those top exhaust fans really make a difference. It would throttle and hit 95C running Cinebench but this was at stock settings. Idled in the low to mid 30s at about 20C ambient.
Thanks!
Same behaviour as my core i5 12600K overall but faster, in gaming.

The R7 9800X3D is also throttling on Cinebench, even with D12L or C14S.
 
  • Like
Reactions: rfarmer

46x02

Chassis Packer
Sep 1, 2025
16
10
As a stupid question, have you ever tried to cool your Ultra 7 265K with a 47mm air cooler like AXP90-47 or IS-47XT (or a bit taller as you are not in 3 slots mode) ?
I'm interested to know how the ultra 7 265k is behaving vs limited cooling solution. My 12600k is working very well with an AXP90-47.
I am using a 265K in a relatively open case with ID Cooling IS-55.
It is important to note the 265K can draw up to 250w during turbo, whereas 12600K only draws up to 150w.
250w would be far beyond the cooling capability of a 47mm cooler, and indeed likely any low profile cooler.
I have limited my 265K to 180w, and use a modified fan from RTX4090 with my IS-55, and the fan gets very loud during stress testing.
Temperature maxes out around 80 degrees - I expect this would be a bit higher in a more typical case.

I have also done some testing with the CPU limited to 140w, and while the multicore performance dropped by 15%, single core remains unaffected.
Despite the reduction, that is still higher multicore performance than the 14600K.
And I think the 265K would likely beat the 14700K if both were used at lowered TDP (the 14700K has a boost TDP of 250w, just like the 265K)

If you want to go with Intel, I would suggest waiting at least until Arrow Lake Refresh is out, as that should have improved efficiency.

I used PassMark's PerformanceTest for measuring performance, and their CPU benchmarks site, cpubenchmark.net, for comparisons.
 

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
3,930
3,085
FRANCE
I am using a 265K in a relatively open case with ID Cooling IS-55.
It is important to note the 265K can draw up to 250w during turbo, whereas 12600K only draws up to 150w.
250w would be far beyond the cooling capability of a 47mm cooler, and indeed likely any low profile cooler.
I have limited my 265K to 180w, and use a modified fan from RTX4090 with my IS-55, and the fan gets very loud during stress testing.
Temperature maxes out around 80 degrees - I expect this would be a bit higher in a more typical case.

I have also done some testing with the CPU limited to 140w, and while the multicore performance dropped by 15%, single core remains unaffected.
Despite the reduction, that is still higher multicore performance than the 14600K.
And I think the 265K would likely beat the 14700K if both were used at lowered TDP (the 14700K has a boost TDP of 250w, just like the 265K)

If you want to go with Intel, I would suggest waiting at least until Arrow Lake Refresh is out, as that should have improved efficiency.

I used PassMark's PerformanceTest for measuring performance, and their CPU benchmarks site, cpubenchmark.net, for comparisons.
Thanks a lot for your feedback! It is crystal clear.

Your experience is very interesting, especially by measuring impact of PL limitation.

For now I'll stick to my R7 9800X3D (ATX setup) and 12600K (Mini ITX). The R7 9800X3D remains the best in terms of efficiency, even it is already toasty...reaching 120W under stress test..:)
 
  • Like
Reactions: rfarmer

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
2,740
2,876
Spokane, WA
New-T1AIOcover.jpg

New_T1side.jpg

New_T1back.jpg


I've made some changes to my build recently and thought I would share it here. I ended up getting the AIO cover from FormD. When using the radiator bracket and the slim fan the area above the motherboard is extremely tight and almost impossible to tuck the fan cables away without it getting into the fan. This also allows me to run 2 X 25mm fans and the small increase in space is really nice. I also didn't like the bundle of cables I had from the usb-c cable and the SATA cable for the 2.5 SSD. I replaced my motherboard with the AsRock z890i Nova WiFi because it has 3 X M.2 slots, so I replaced my 2TB SSD with a 2TB M.2.

Wasn't sure if I wanted to upgrade to the 270k although I liked the benchmarks results I saw, Newegg offered me $230 trade in for my 265k so I decided to go ahead and do it. So far performance is really good and it doesn't run much hotter than my 265k. Cinebench R23 results are impressive, I went from 35,657 to 42,319.

I also added the FormD riser lock back and Ncase premium screw set.
 
  • Love
Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
3,930
3,085
FRANCE
New-T1AIOcover.jpg

New_T1side.jpg

New_T1back.jpg


I've made some changes to my build recently and thought I would share it here. I ended up getting the AIO cover from FormD. When using the radiator bracket and the slim fan the area above the motherboard is extremely tight and almost impossible to tuck the fan cables away without it getting into the fan. This also allows me to run 2 X 25mm fans and the small increase in space is really nice. I also didn't like the bundle of cables I had from the usb-c cable and the SATA cable for the 2.5 SSD. I replaced my motherboard with the AsRock z890i Nova WiFi because it has 3 X M.2 slots, so I replaced my 2TB SSD with a 2TB M.2.

Wasn't sure if I wanted to upgrade to the 270k although I liked the benchmarks results I saw, Newegg offered me $230 trade in for my 265k so I decided to go ahead and do it. So far performance is really good and it doesn't run much hotter than my 265k. Cinebench R23 results are impressive, I went from 35,657 to 42,319.

I also added the FormD riser lock back and Ncase premium screw set.
Thanks for sharing!

I agree that the 270K is the current banger CPU, one of the best in every scenario, except gaming versus X3D Zen 5...but otherwise it is really good.

I have some questions regarding your setup :
  • Where is coming from your top and your riser lock? Ncased.com? I did not find the cover.
  • In the FormD T1, with no offset between the GPU and the motherboard, do you have space for back SSD? On my setup, I can't as the space is taken by the riser.
  • Speaking of Z890 mini ITX, I'll share my experience with the MSI Z890i (hopefully tomorrow). What about the VRM fan on your Asrock Z890i Nova?
  • When are you Testing or switching to Linux?..:)
 
  • Like
Reactions: rfarmer

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
2,740
2,876
Spokane, WA
Thanks for sharing!

I agree that the 270K is the current banger CPU, one of the best in every scenario, except gaming versus X3D Zen 5...but otherwise it is really good.

I have some questions regarding your setup :
  • Where is coming from your top and your riser lock? Ncased.com? I did not find the cover.
  • In the FormD T1, with no offset between the GPU and the motherboard, do you have space for back SSD? On my setup, I can't as the space is taken by the riser.
  • Speaking of Z890 mini ITX, I'll share my experience with the MSI Z890i (hopefully tomorrow). What about the VRM fan on your Asrock Z890i Nova?
  • When are you Testing or switching to Linux?..:)
Both the AIO cover and the riser lock bar are from FormD, like you say Ncase doesn't make either one. Mine actually has two rear M.2 slots, the vertical one even has a heatsink but is on the out edge of the board and clears the riser, the horizontal one doesn't have a heatsink and runs directly under the riser but I had room for it. Maybe it;s my riser, I didn't get the one from Ncase with mine but ordered this one off of AliExpress. I was actually really surprised at how quite the VRM fan is, I know usually they are very loud. I really liked the look of the MSI board especially the rear IO, I just wish it wasn't white. Several years ago I went down the Linux rabbit hole and dual booted with a few different distros. I can use Linux if I need to but I'm lazy and it's just too much work.
 
  • Love
Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
3,930
3,085
FRANCE
Both the AIO cover and the riser lock bar are from FormD, like you say Ncase doesn't make either one. Mine actually has two rear M.2 slots, the vertical one even has a heatsink but is on the out edge of the board and clears the riser, the horizontal one doesn't have a heatsink and runs directly under the riser but I had room for it. Maybe it;s my riser, I didn't get the one from Ncase with mine but ordered this one off of AliExpress. I was actually really surprised at how quite the VRM fan is, I know usually they are very loud. I really liked the look of the MSI board especially the rear IO, I just wish it wasn't white. Several years ago I went down the Linux rabbit hole and dual booted with a few different distros. I can use Linux if I need to but I'm lazy and it's just too much work.
Thanks for sharing.
For the back m.2 SSD, maybe it is me that does not want to risk it as the riser is in contact with it. By the way, thanks for the link for the riser. it is only Gen 4?

For the MSI Z890i the color is a none issue as it is not visible..:)
 
  • Like
Reactions: rfarmer

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
2,740
2,876
Spokane, WA
Thanks for sharing.
For the back m.2 SSD, maybe it is me that does not want to risk it as the riser is in contact with it. By the way, thanks for the link for the riser. it is only Gen 4?

For the MSI Z890i the color is a none issue as it is not visible..:)
Yes gen 4 works fine, they list gen 5 but it isn't.
 
  • Like
Reactions: MarcParis