Ncase M1 "tophat" mod & build

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016
I have a similar but different mod that I think you guys may find interesting - https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/ncase-m1-extended-240-92-240-radiators.9904/

jtmsrl

Caliper Novice
Jan 12, 2019
wow Im thinking on this. Do you have a temp comparison between with and without hat? maybe using some 2x120mm fan on top as intake and 2x120mm as bottom exhaust? or the other way around.

BTW, is this my viewer or there’s something weird with the file?

Last edited:

Maniac

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 18, 2018
Sorry got no comparison with and without tophat.

Yeah that viewer seems to be way off. If you added models one by one, you need to arrange them. But I would recommend to print the clips separately since they should be 100% infill.

Reactions: jtmsrl

jtmsrl

Caliper Novice
Jan 12, 2019
Sorry got no comparison with and without tophat.

Yeah that viewer seems to be way off. If you added models one by one, you need to arrange them. But I would recommend to print the clips separately since they should be 100% infill.

Yeah maybe this viewer sucks, back home i’ll try something better. So recommended material would be PETG?

I was thinking on black colored small tophat with 2x120mm slim noctuas to have some extra intake. So far I bought an accelero extreme iii with 2x120mm noctuas running as exhaust and need to compensate some airflow. CPU will be running as exhaust with side fan as intake for some fresh air.

Maniac

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 18, 2018
I would recommend PETG if you are printing translucent or transparent filament. But if you are going black, they any would be fine.

jtmsrl

Caliper Novice
Jan 12, 2019
and my last question is: why fan railing brackets and underside clips are printed separately and then attached into the main structure? isn’t that the whole point of 3d printing? beeing able to create complex structures as one piece?

Also, will there be any problem by reducing thickness?

Last edited:

Nord1ing

Average Stuffer
Dec 5, 2018
Did you manage to try that top hat? I’m also considering that option but i don’t really know if it’s worth it given the mesh panels in the case

I tested today the temperatures with and without top hat. With NH-U9S and vented side panel there is almost no difference between two configurations. With glass side panel and top-down cpu cooler maybe there will be more difference.
TheaAmbient temperature 24-25C

PMW Fan settings:
CPU:

GPU:

Side and top-hat:

Last edited:

jtmsrl

Caliper Novice
Jan 12, 2019
well that’s marginal and I doubt it even worth it, maybe noise decrease due to fans spinning slower on some test.

Anyways your CPU and GPU temps looks pretty safe without tophat. Did you saw any difference in motherboard and gpu VRM temps? or not monitoring that?

Nord1ing

Average Stuffer
Dec 5, 2018
well that’s marginal and I doubt it even worth it, maybe noise decrease due to fans spinning slower on some test.

Anyways your CPU and GPU temps looks pretty safe without tophat. Did you saw any difference in motherboard and gpu VRM temps? or not monitoring that?
I did not monitored VRMs and motherboard and M.2 SDD became around 2 degrees cooler.

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
Edit: somehow missed a post that was close enough to what I was asking... Sorry to ressurect this for no reason.

Last edited: