Log Ncase M1 R9 3900X + 2080 Super

jfamiens

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 2, 2020
My first SFF with a Ncase M1; after few days of hesitation about New Intel Comet Lake, I have decided at last minute to swich to AMD with the following parts:
  • AMD RYZEN9 3900x Socket AM4 (3.8Ghz+64Mb)
  • Gigabyte x570 I AORUS Pro wifi Carte mère format ITX
  • EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Super XC Ultra Gaming, - In transit
  • Corsair SF750, SF Series, 750 Watt, Modulaire Complet, 80 Plus Platinum
  • Crucial Ballistix BL2K16G36C16U4B 3600 MHz x 2
  • WD Black SN750 - internal SSD NVMe - 1 To
  • Noctua NH-U9S - In transit
  • 3 x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM
I bought these Noctua fans following this link. It is written
We recommend using a total of 3 case fans, 2 will be used for the graphics card intake whilst the third being used on the front side bracket also as an intake.

Nevertheless, i started my configuration using this Guide when i noted the
Prep GPU: Deshroud or Accelero. Do not run a stock GPU with the fans as exhaust.

The Guide seems to be "The Reference" to obtain the coolest configuration but it seems that the youtubers are also considering 2 fans as an intake, so my question for you is
  • should I deshroud and put 2x NF-A12 as exhaust ? OR
  • should I use these fans as an intake and pursue the step by step installation ?
Thanks

ghop

Trash Compacter
May 26, 2020
I'm tagging this post to follow along. I am in a similar boat where last minute changing my mind to go 3900x instead of 10900k. Part of my reason is my Ncase is in transit and I have time to wait for new B550 boards with Type C header support for front IO (should be available retail within 2 weeks). The rest of my build will be very similar to yours.

Can I ask why you chose U9S over C14S?
In my research, the best air setup is C14S cooler, Noctua A9 (92MM) fan intake from rear, two Noctua A12 fans(120mm) exhaust through the bottom if GPU allows, can try slim 15mm fans if 25mm too big. Then I plan to fit two more A12 fans wherever it makes sense. That makes a total of 6 fans including the one attached to CPU cooler.

jfamiens

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 2, 2020
I'm tagging this post to follow along. I am in a similar boat where last minute changing my mind to go 3900x instead of 10900k. Part of my reason is my Ncase is in transit and I have time to wait for new B550 boards with Type C header support for front IO (should be available retail within 2 weeks). The rest of my build will be very similar to yours.

In my research, the best air setup is C14S cooler, Noctua A9 (92MM) fan intake from rear, two Noctua A12 fans(120mm) exhaust through the bottom if GPU allows, can try slim 15mm fans if 25mm too big. Then I plan to fit two more A12 fans wherever it makes sense. That makes a total of 6 fans including the one attached to CPU cooler.
Hi ghop,

I chose U9S over C14s simply because of the link https://premiumbuilds.com/small-form-factor/best-parts-for-ncase-m1-builds/

2x 15mm fans on their way. I will start the build in 2/3 days.

FYI, I received my ncase within max 2 weeks.

jfamiens

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 2, 2020

Hi ghop,

I chose U9S over C14s simply because of the link https://premiumbuilds.com/small-form-factor/best-parts-for-ncase-m1-builds/

ghop

Trash Compacter
May 26, 2020
Hi ghop,

Glad to hear you got your case so quickly. My order said 1-8 weeks. Hoping it arrives as quickly as yours did.

It seems to me that you might have an issue following that guide you linked because that one uses the C14S - which will push air from the motherboard, through the cooler, and out of the left panel.
Your U9S is a different orientation, I believe pushing from center of case out through the back.

In that case I imagine it would make sense for you to have your airflow intaking from bottom and out through the back. And if you put slim fans on the left side, they would need to intake as well to feed your cooler fan.

jfamiens

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 2, 2020
ghop, thanks a lot!

I'm still waiting for the GPU (now delayed to Monday) but also I realized yesterday that i might have an issue with the SSD (Samsung Black SN750) as I wrote that my motherboard seems not compatible with SSD having its own "cooler". I have to order a new one !

Also, I am wondering whether i have to remove the 3x USB cables on the I/O front plate like in the guide...

jfamiens

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Reactions: thelaughingman

jfamiens

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 2, 2020
  • My GPU (MSI 2080 SUPER AERO) fits perfectly - no need to remove the front I/o cables
  • Noctua NH-U9S no apparent issue
  • Two Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM fit underneath the GPU (intake)
  • The third unit does not fit at the back due to the motherboard heatsink
I have a question - do you think it is worth ordering a second smaller Noctua for the NH-U9S ?

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Quick update

fixed it for you :)

Reactions: bee_exotic

kru20o1

Case Bender
New User
Sep 26, 2019
The build is looking good so far. I would definitely recommend adding a second fan at the rear as exhaust.

I recently completed my M1 v6 build. Just waiting on some custom cables for my PSU and a power button cable to match my red and black scheme.

Here are my specs:
Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2ghz v1.150 + Noctua U9S CPU Cooler
ASUS ROG Strix X570I
32GB RAM @ 3600mhz GSkill Trident Z Neo
1TB Intel NvMe + 480GB Kingston NvMe
EVGA 2070 Super XC Gaming
Corsair SF750 Platinum

Pics:

Reactions: Odd_Fox

jfamiens

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Kru20o1 - I have added 1x Noctua NF-A12x25 on the side bracket; waiting for another (last) Noctua 92mm. Will try to find smaller cable for the PSU, it is a mess in that tiny area ;)

Reactions: kru20o1