Log Ncase M1 build dual rad with 10GB SUCCESS!

alitech

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 7, 2021
Planning my all out build finally. The last piece, the ncase m1 is on the way and will be here in 2 days. I was hoping I could get some tips and tricks for the build?
I plan to build a custom Water loop in the case after watching optimum tech videos. I have purchased all the parts. I'll try to find time to make a full kit list. It's almost 100 items.
2 quick questions I immediately have

1. I want to build the system and turn it on, test it etc before building the water loop. I don't have an AM4 cooler to hand. Can I use the cpu without a cooler?
2. I plan to have 4 fans inside the case. 2 for each rad. Do I connect them all to the CPU fan header with a splitter or to the case fans? I want to control the fan curve from the bios

A few of the kit list below.
Asus X570 I-gaming
Ryzen 3950x
64 GB 4000mhz Royal trident
ASUS 1080ti turbo with waterblock
Cosair sf750
10GB SFP+ nic
Adt m.2 to 16x pcie riser for the nic

Loads of premium watercooling parts
2 rads
Noctua fans
Ice reservoir and ddc
Ek torque compression fittings
Alphacool quick release
Alphacool cpu block
I'll take a pic of all parts before the build.

Last edited:

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
I dont recommend to start the pc without a cpu cooler, buy the cheapest you can find.
Yes you will be fine connecting 4 fans into one header. I´ve had it like that sometime and no problem.

Reactions: alitech

alitech

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 7, 2021
The specs

Here is the spec. Any advice for the build most welcome

New System: Ncase M1
- Ryzen 3950x
- G.Skill Trident Z 64GB 4000Mhz
- Trident 2TB PCIE-4
- *Corsair SF750
- Asus x570 i-gaming
- Asus 1080ti Turbo 11GB
- ADT M.2 riser for 10GB SFP+ Nic
- Mellanox 10GB SFP+ nic

Custom Loop:
- Alphacool Eisblock XPX CPU or EK-Supremacy EVO (whichever is better)
- EK 3.2 Elite DDC Pump
- IceMan Cooler Res.
- Alphacool quick disconnects x 2 sets
- Asus 1080ti waterblock by Byski
- EK Torque fittings + EK Matte black tubing 16mm/10mm
- EK Coolstreem 240mm 400mm thick main rad
- XSPC slim 240mm or HJ 17mm slim rad from Aliexpress (whichever one fits better with the 2nd PCI card)
- 3x Noctua NF-A12x25
- 1x Noctua NF-A12x15
- Alphacool water temp sensor to manage fan curves
- Koolance low profile 90 degree fittings if needed

Further upgrades down the line:
5 inch 1440p monitor for Aida64 dash on the front panel (will purchase a new front panel to cut into)

alitech

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 7, 2021
I dont recommend to start the pc without a cpu cooler, buy the cheapest you can find.
Yes you will be fine connecting 4 fans into one header. I´ve had it like that sometime and no problem.
What sort of splitter would you use for this?

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
I have exactly the same setup you are willing to build but with a 5700xt as a gpu and no 2nd pci card (in case you want to ask, I can help)
With this motherboard, I have two 15mm noctuas in one header with it´s curve, and other two 25mm noctuas into another header. You can control those via water temp sensor. But I find the windows software to be better managing the rpm of the fans. Be carefull with giving the fans under the gpu enough room to breathe, or they will barely be of any help.

Thin fans are louder than the 25mm ones. And that´s why I have different curves for them. I can ramp up the 25mm fans before the 15mm and my noise levels are going to be lower overall while the temps will be cool enough.

Have you looked into this cpu blocks? I have a ekwb velocity, but if I were buying now, rhis would be my top choice I think. https://techn.de/shop/cpu-waterblock-amd-am4/

alitech

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 7, 2021
I have exactly the same setup you are willing to build but with a 5700xt as a gpu and no 2nd pci card (in case you want to ask, I can help)
With this motherboard, I have two 15mm noctuas in one header with it´s curve, and other two 25mm noctuas into another header. You can control those via water temp sensor. But I find the windows software to be better managing the rpm of the fans. Be carefull with giving the fans under the gpu enough room to breathe, or they will barely be of any help.

Thin fans are louder than the 25mm ones. And that´s why I have different curves for them. I can ramp up the 25mm fans before the 15mm and my noise levels are going to be lower overall while the temps will be cool enough.

Have you looked into this cpu blocks? I have a ekwb velocity, but if I were buying now, rhis would be my top choice I think. https://techn.de/shop/cpu-waterblock-amd-am4/
Thanks for the tip. Which software on windows did you use for the fan curve? Can you share a picture of how you have set up the fan curves for the 2 sets of fans?

Also, why do you like that TechN cpu block over others?

alitech

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 7, 2021
What's the plan to mount both the NIC and GPU? New stand-offs?
Haven't worked that through yet as I am still waiting on the case but yes, I could do new stand-offs or just some extra strong sticky tape for the ADT riser. The Nic will be attached to the case with the bracket anyway, I don't know if just leaving it hanging inside will cause too much harm. Risky I know but just thinking this through now that you have prompted me to.....

Do you have suggestions? I have stand-offs lying around and could look at making some holes there if needed.

I will also need to cut away part of the GPU bracket as it is current a 2.5 slot bracket but I only need it to be a single slot bracket. I have a new bracket on the way that I plan to cut up so I can retain the original one just in case I need to sell the GPU later

trees_z

Trash Compacter
Jan 27, 2021
Not really familiar with the case but I'm assuming you're doing the standard config? So GPU plugs into the motherboard PCIe slot, and then the network card down in the third slot? I would probably just get the right angle M.2 to PCIe x4 riser. Screwed into the rentention bracket is probably good enough. Double sided tape probably works fine if you can find something thick enough to fill the gap

Reactions: alitech

alitech

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 7, 2021
Not really familiar with the case but I'm assuming you're doing the standard config? So GPU plugs into the motherboard PCIe slot, and then the network card down in the third slot? I would probably just get the right angle M.2 to PCIe x4 riser. Screwed into the rentention bracket is probably good enough. Double sided tape probably works fine if you can find something thick enough to fill the gap
Yup, standard config. GPU on the PCI slot and network card in the 2nd slot with the m.2 riser. I got the correct riser from aliexpress and checked it thoroughly. Will need to bend a stretch the cable slightly but should be good. The third slot will be covered up by rad and fans so no space there. I do have a very thin rad I plan to use there with a slim Noctua that will give ample space (in theory). I still need to check once I get the case.

I will do stand-offs if the distance is too much, otherwise a few layers of some gorilla extra strength double-sided tape.

Reactions: trees_z

trees_z

Trash Compacter
Jan 27, 2021
GPU on the PCI slot and network card in the 2nd slot with the m.2 riser. I got the correct riser from aliexpress and checked it thoroughly. Will need to bend a stretch the cable slightly but should be good. The third slot will be covered up by rad and fans so no space there

Sounds like a plan! I would just make sure that your GPU block is a true single slot block then. Sometimes they're a little thicker and make things difficult to line up.

alitech

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 7, 2021
My build is coming along ok however I have run into 2 issues.

My disconnects leak and I am not able to fit the 10GB SFP+ card I was planning..
Here are some pics

alitech

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 7, 2021
I thought I would be able to put the nic on the top of the case and get an M.2 riser to come right to the front

Its a no go, I cannot fit the rad onto the lower screws on the case as there are too many things underneath. I may come back to this if i can find some tiny fittings for the 16mm tubes I am using.

Reactions: Mangapc

trees_z

Trash Compacter
Jan 27, 2021
Just curious - why didn't the network card fit? GPU block not quite a single slot? Or radiator + fans take up too much room?

alitech

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 7, 2021
Yes, I assumed I would have enough space as I got a really slim radiator from aliexpress. 17mm thick and the fan is 15mm so it blocked the 2nd slot. I was also thinking of maybe just removing one of the fans at the bottom and just use a single fan, however the ADT riser was too short. Rather than waiting for 3 weeks for a new riser to arrive, I have decided to finish the build and then try to get the correct riser and try again at another time.

alitech

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 7, 2021
Scratch that last post. I did it. I made the SFP+ card fit in between the bottom fan and the GPU waterblock. The ADT Riser is hanging in mid air but its not going anywhere, it is clamped down securely.

I filed the heatsink of the nic and made it fit in between the small gap.

This is only possible with a 17mm thick radiator at the bottom with 15mm fans.

The build is complete!!

I now have a dual rad Ncase M1 build with 2 PCI devices in there, all singing and dancing in there.

Reactions: lorsch