Log My (second) Streacom DB4 build

Raiju

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 21, 2017
Started working on this build again. Modded the motherboard heatsinks so they can connect to outer heatsink with heatpipes.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Good to see the db4 still useful. Its arguably the most impressive looking and ambitious case design.

Reactions: Raiju

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Looks good!
Are you still using the Coollaboratory metal pad(s) as thermal paste for the CPU?

Raiju

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 21, 2017
Case was positioned suboptimal for cooling (I miss an angled hdmi cable) but the rest of the panels was off. Heat transfer was real good, the panel became too hot to touch.

Half hour stress cpu goes to 85C (had plateaued for 10 mins) vrm 57C chipset chipset 47C. Rest of temps all ok.

Idle after half hour 36C, all this with ambient temp of 20C.

All in all not bad, too early to tell if cpu is gonna need tweaking for long gaming sessions.

Raiju

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 21, 2017
I did not like the 85C, it sometimes can get 20C hotter in the summer here so 85C wont do.

After a lot of tweaking and testing and many clear bios later and bitlocker annoying the crap out of me I got a stable solution.

70C with 4.2 GHz all cores (smt enabled) and finally managed a ram of 3200 Mhz 16-16-16

1 hour test:

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Great result, is this 100% passive right now?
I imagine even a small, slow fan that turns on at upper temp-limits would make a HUGE difference to longer sessions.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I finished the build. Gpu temps are great, very low idle no throttling full out.

That's awesome! I'm currently working on a similar build... may I ask which tool you used to bend the heatpipes? I got a "breakline bending tool" from eBay but the bending radius seems to be much bigger than yours.