Log My Humble NCase M1 (Dual 240mm Custom Loop)

haoryouu

Chassis Packer
May 1, 2019
Very nice build! I had pretty similar setup to your initial setup with the two rads. I only have a 3700x and a 2080ti, so my cpu temps are probably much lower because of that. I initially had the clear tubes, but ended up changing it to the ZMT tubes, which seems to be lasting a lot longer. You seem to have your pump on fairly low, so I'm not sure changing it to the DDC310 would do much. Pumps has always bothered me, but I kind of just "lived" with the pump noise, even a D5 would bother me. Looking forward to your revisions!

HottestVapes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Oct 13, 2018
Very nice build! I had pretty similar setup to your initial setup with the two rads. I only have a 3700x and a 2080ti, so my cpu temps are probably much lower because of that. I initially had the clear tubes, but ended up changing it to the ZMT tubes, which seems to be lasting a lot longer. You seem to have your pump on fairly low, so I'm not sure changing it to the DDC310 would do much. Pumps has always bothered me, but I kind of just "lived" with the pump noise, even a D5 would bother me. Looking forward to your revisions!

I'm using a DDC3.2 currently, plan is to go to a D5 (not a DDC310).

At load, I do bump up the pump speed, but I don't really hear the pump at 35% over the fans so I don't mind that at all. It's only at idle now with the fans barely moving that the DDC3.2 annoys me. It's not obnoxiously loud really, it's more the profile of the noise. Hopefully, a D5 at a lowered speed will at least be more pleasing to the ear than the DDC is, even if it doesn't end much quieter in terms of decibels.

Jetpaction

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2020
I'm currently contemplating going custom loop in my NCase M1 V6 and had the following in mind:

I have a 9700k and 2080S so I was thinking an XSPC 240mm Ultrathin rad in the bottom and a 92mm Nemesis GTX in the back should be sufficient. Now here's where things get interesting:

• @HottestVapes You mentioned that the EK Waterblock wouldn't fit because it would hit the sidepanel, however I think that only applies to the Vector model and not the Classic model. The Vector is indeed 127mm but the Classic is 123.8mm. See this diagram. Furthermore, I think this is also the thinnest waterblock out there and it would allow me to fit 25mm fans between the GPU and Rad, instead of 15mm fans, which should hopefully help improve cooling performance.
  • The 92mm Nemesis GTX in the back is 54mm deep. I wonder if I could stil fit a 25mm fan onto it and still reach the CPU waterblock behind it. If not, I would stick with a 15mm fan.
  • For Pump/Reservoir I'm thinking about 2 different options, but both would involve the EK SPC-60 pump. It only requires a PWM fan cable for power, no Molex required. It is very quiet and performs roughly around the same as a D5 pump on the middle power mode (mode 3). Now, either I would go with a 100mm or 140mm EK-RES top and mount the pump horizontally in the front of the case or I take the EK SPC-60 pump and mount it onto an IceMan Reservoir on the back of the case. This pump seems to have the same measurements as their DDC pump so I'm hopeful it would fit on the IceMan.
  • If the EK SPC-60 fits on the IceMan reservoir, there's still the challenge of the 92mm Nemesis GTX radiator mounted on the inside. Assuming the IceMan that I'd order today has the 92mm mounting points, could I for isntance use some longer M3 screws, e.g. M3x80mm and have both the IceMan reservoir and the 92mm rad mounted at the same time?
  • If the above wouldn't fit, I would drop the 92mm radiator and go for a 120mm radiator on the right side of the sidebracket. This would still allow me to more easily build the loop and have easy access to the motherboard area on the open left side of the bracket.
Thoughts?

HottestVapes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Oct 13, 2018
I'm currently contemplating going custom loop in my NCase M1 V6 and had the following in mind:

I have a 9700k and 2080S so I was thinking an XSPC 240mm Ultrathin rad in the bottom and a 92mm Nemesis GTX in the back should be sufficient. Now here's where things get interesting:

• @HottestVapes You mentioned that the EK Waterblock wouldn't fit because it would hit the sidepanel, however I think that only applies to the Vector model and not the Classic model. The Vector is indeed 127mm but the Classic is 123.8mm. See this diagram. Furthermore, I think this is also the thinnest waterblock out there and it would allow me to fit 25mm fans between the GPU and Rad, instead of 15mm fans, which should hopefully help improve cooling performance.
  • The 92mm Nemesis GTX in the back is 54mm deep. I wonder if I could stil fit a 25mm fan onto it and still reach the CPU waterblock behind it. If not, I would stick with a 15mm fan.
  • For Pump/Reservoir I'm thinking about 2 different options, but both would involve the EK SPC-60 pump. It only requires a PWM fan cable for power, no Molex required. It is very quiet and performs roughly around the same as a D5 pump on the middle power mode (mode 3). Now, either I would go with a 100mm or 140mm EK-RES top and mount the pump horizontally in the front of the case or I take the EK SPC-60 pump and mount it onto an IceMan Reservoir on the back of the case. This pump seems to have the same measurements as their DDC pump so I'm hopeful it would fit on the IceMan.
  • If the EK SPC-60 fits on the IceMan reservoir, there's still the challenge of the 92mm Nemesis GTX radiator mounted on the inside. Assuming the IceMan that I'd order today has the 92mm mounting points, could I for isntance use some longer M3 screws, e.g. M3x80mm and have both the IceMan reservoir and the 92mm rad mounted at the same time?
  • If the above wouldn't fit, I would drop the 92mm radiator and go for a 120mm radiator on the right side of the sidebracket. This would still allow me to more easily build the loop and have easy access to the motherboard area on the open left side of the bracket.
Thoughts?

Measurements look good for that EK block, should fit without issue.

I'm not confident that the 92x54mm rad will comfortably fit with a 25mm fan and the tubes exiting the CPU block judging by how close it is with this 92x45mm radiator. It will depend on the socket location on the motherboard, and the CPU block you use. I've seen a low profile Alphacool block that should make it a non-issue as it allows for the tubes/fittings to exit the side of the block. Could be an option for you.
As for the TX240, it should fit with 25mm fans, I'm still on the fence on whether to replace the rad or the fans in mine. Actual cooling may be indentical between 15mm fans plus 30mm rad and 25mm fans with the 20mm rad though, haven't seen too much on that besides one users first hand testament on using both set ups.

I've seen D5s and DDC pump/res combos fitted to the front of the case, unsure on the overall size of them but it should work. However, I don't know much of anything about that particular pump. I'd suggest reading up on it and if it's fully compatible with DDC tops and reservoirs.
I'd recommend not using the 92mm rad on the rear in conjunction with an Ice Man reservoir in any case. Even offset and spaced away from the radiator, you'll run into issues trying to pass the tubes through and into the case.
I think a better option if you're set on the SPC pump but find out it's incompatible with DDC parts is to put a T or Y fitting on the pump inlet, along with a QDC or tap so you can hook up a tube or mini res to the pump, fill the loop via that and then disconnect it once you're done.

All that said, I'm definitely no expert on the intricacies of a 92mm + 240mm loop in the NCase. It's a bit of a different beast compared to dual 240mm loops.

Reactions: Jetpaction

Jetpaction

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2020
So, I found out that the EK-SPC60 pump is not compatible with the IceMan Reservoir. The measurements of the pump are slightly off from a regular DDC pump. Fine for me, I was leaning towards putting the pump inside the case anyway so that's the direction I'll go.

Today I also received Alphacool's new black TPV tubes along with their TPV fittings. It's cool stuff, the tubes feel really high quality, are a bit smaller than EK's ZMT tubes but they seem to have a somewhat odd outer and inner measurement of 12,7/7,6. So they work great with the TPV fittings as they're made for them, they slide on real easy. The standard fittings are made from a plastic material while the 90 degree ones are metal. The plastic ones feel decent though and they look great and slim when connected. It seems you can also connect regular 10/13 fittings but that means you're basically stretching out the TPV tubes, doesn't really feel good.

Now waiting for the GPU/CPU blocks and rads to arrive so I can get started.

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
I´ve used the tpv tube with some 10/13 fittings and yes... a lot of finger pain installing those. But the result is also good.

Just heads up, there are also metal TPV straight fittings. I also bought the plastic ones by error and didn´t used them because I don´t trust them (call me crazy if you want) and that´s why I ended up using some 10-13 fittings I had here already.

Reactions: Jetpaction

HottestVapes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Oct 13, 2018
So, I found out that the EK-SPC60 pump is not compatible with the IceMan Reservoir. The measurements of the pump are slightly off from a regular DDC pump. Fine for me, I was leaning towards putting the pump inside the case anyway so that's the direction I'll go.

Today I also received Alphacool's new black TPV tubes along with their TPV fittings. It's cool stuff, the tubes feel really high quality, are a bit smaller than EK's ZMT tubes but they seem to have a somewhat odd outer and inner measurement of 12,7/7,6. So they work great with the TPV fittings as they're made for them, they slide on real easy. The standard fittings are made from a plastic material while the 90 degree ones are metal. The plastic ones feel decent though and they look great and slim when connected. It seems you can also connect regular 10/13 fittings but that means you're basically stretching out the TPV tubes, doesn't really feel good.

Now waiting for the GPU/CPU blocks and rads to arrive so I can get started.

Let me know how you get on with the TPV, I'm interested in getting some myself but I kinda feel icky using black fittings with my existing nickle 90 and 45 degree fittings.
I´ve used the tpv tube with some 10/13 fittings and yes... a lot of finger pain installing those. But the result is also good.

Just heads up, there are also metal TPV straight fittings. I also bought the plastic ones by error and didn´t used them because I don´t trust them (call me crazy if you want) and that´s why I ended up using some 10-13 fittings I had here already.

Which brings me on to this. All my current fittings are 10/13. I didn't think stretching the tubing an extra 2mm would be an option.
I've been learning towards ZMT 10/16 and all new nickle classic fittings to go along with it. Price-wise, it worked out a little cheaper for me than TPV + TPV metal fittings when factoring in shipping from the only retailer I know that stocks them.

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
I’m following your build with great interest. May I ask your opinion since you have already tried it. I’m in the process of ordering and gathering parts for my upcoming build, I already have decided on 13/10mm fittings but still undecided on which tubing to go for. ZMT is only available in 16/10mm as far as I know and the TPV from Alphacool seems to be using a one off diameter that’s different to any other.
First of all is the TPV tubing as good as it seems for low maintenance (and hopefully low plasticiser) as Alphacool says ? And if is indeed such a good tubing, will it work safely with regular 13/10mm compression fittings or are the TPV metal ones the only way to go if I decide on TPV tubing ?
Reason I’m asking is because I’ll be using these with an Apogee Drive II in an Ncase M1 and I might need both angled fittings, T fitting and some quick disconnects.
Thanks in advance for your input

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
tpv fittings also have some more parts like quick disconnects, theres a growing new line around this new diameter tube.

you can plug the tpv tube into a 13/10 mm fitting, as that is what I have done in my build with both alphacool and ekwb fittins (I have a nice mix of things here) but its a tight fit and you will have to do some force to screw the tube into the fitting.

Jetpaction

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2020
Received my EK SPC-60 pump today and it really fits perfectly inside the Ncase. It came with an RES-140 reservoir which is too long as I want to mount the pump vertically. So I ordered the RES-100 reservoir as a spare part (only 8 EUR) and now the entire pump/res combo is only 130mm tall, including the feet:

Furthermore, I wanted to preferably mount it without drilling or modifying my case, so I used the following solution:

It's mounted with only an EK-UNI holder. The pump fits perfectly on the longer side of this bracket and is screwed in place using the feet of the pump. The bracket is then screwed in using the existing holes in the front of the case

I really like it! Now I have to wait for the rest of the parts which will hopefully be here in the next few days.

HottestVapes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Oct 13, 2018
I'm heavily considering the Aqua Computer D5 Next as the upgrade from my current DDC 3.2.

It seems almost too good of a product. Uses SATA power and a USB2.0 header, so there'll be some cable clutter, but it also has a water temp sensor, faux-flow meter and alarm, on board or software controls, and it's also a fan and RGB controller. All for £25 more than a standard EK D5/top combo. The value definitely seems there for it. I'm just trying to picture how to work it into the loop.

My first thought was on the 92mm fan mount at the rear of the case, as that'd be the easiest to run a tube from the top radiator to the pump inlet for easier filling of the loop. The alternative would be pretty much the same as how Jetpaction has mounted his SPC pump. If I did that, I think a Y or T splitter on the inlet would be the best route to go so I can attached a tube/mini res to fill the loop.

Jetpaction

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2020
Received more of the ordered parts in the meanwhile. The XSPC TX240 fits with fullsize 25mm fans below the GPU, but I wonder if this will improve performance over using 15mm fans. There's hardly any breathing room between rad and GPU. I have the fans currently set as exhaust.

The terminator plugs on the GPU waterblock also rest on the rad so I've ordered a set of low profile plugs from Bitspower, hopefully that helps.

Jetpaction

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2020
There are no mounting points and there's no room in the top of the Ncase. There will also be a 92mm rad placed in the rear so the bottom is really the best spot. I'll experiment with both 25mm and 15mm fans and see what yields the best result. I'm hoping by putting the fans as exhaust it will push out the heat from the radiator at the bottom. This also worked really well previously with the Arctic Accelero.

Jetpaction

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2020
It is, if I would use the sidebracket. But I'm not using that from an aesthethic perspective, I'd like to have a windowed side panel once they're available for order again. So without the sidebracket and having everything inside the case 240+92mm radiators seems to be the maximum that's possible.

HottestVapes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Oct 13, 2018

In 7 liters 1x240 and 1x120 2080ti. Both the processor and the video card on the water

You got a build log for that monstrosity?

It looks like a DAN case, you've moved the PSU to what looks like it's laying flat with the fan facing down at the bottom of the case, or are you using a HDPlex?

TX240 on the motherboard side looks like you've cut up the housing to force it to fit, but there doesn't seem to be a reasonable amount of clearance for fittings. The TX120 on the GPU side seems to be fitted without compromising anything, except for a fan. Kinda interested in seeming more of this, especially in a completed form with full tubing runs and a pump because I'm not seeing the feesibility of it as it is.

HottestVapes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Oct 13, 2018
I'm moving on from the NCase V5.

Great case, enjoyed each build in it and I've been 90% happy with it throughout. Unfortunately, after the initial loop I did last year, and retubing it with ZMT just last month, I've had a real desire to go further with watercooling. I've picked up new case, the Lian Li Q37 and I'm in the process of modding it and checking the fitment before moving all my parts over. Which thus far has gone smoothly.
In the pics below, you'll see that I've cut out a square hole in the panel to allow the D5 pump of the EK FLT 120 to pass through. Which I've never seen done before with that reservoir and this case, so I was really eyeballing pics online to see if it would fit prior to ordering it. Thankfully it does.

So I'm curious, is there interest in seeing the rest of this build posted here?
It's definitely not small form factor, seeing as it's close to 30L in volume, so I wasn't planning on posting more of it beyond these progress pics. If it's of interest to anyone, and permitted by the powers that be, I'd happily do a write up on the build process and show off the end result of it.

To anyone curious, my reasons for ditching the NCase in favour of the Q37 is due to wanting to make my loop more manageable in the long term, in terms of filling/draining and maintenance, as well as wanting to incorporate a D5 pump into the loop. Higher theoretical cooling capacity and a glass side panel to show off the internals are a bonus.

Reactions: Wyd4 and Dyelon

haoryouu

Chassis Packer
May 1, 2019
Still one of my most favorite cases to this day. Should try making a pass through to the back! I put my pass through in the back, and it made it super easy to drain the system. Think the only thing that still a bit sketchy about my q37 build, is that the GPU terminal is like right at the glass. So I usually leave the side glass off.