Log MUJI File Box - Translucent PP Case

Kiborato

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 3, 2021

MUJI File Box - Translucent PP Case​

This Idea all started when I found out that the Alphacool 280 Radiator would fit perfectly into one of those File boxes from Muji:

I started investing more time into this small autumn project, and ended up with the following CAD assembly after 20+hours.

The File Box​

So this File-Box is made by a japanese minimalism brand called Muji mostly known for their no-logo & no-branding products.
I discovored this File-Box at first at their Store in Berlin and fell in love with the matte black variant in the Ginza Flagshipstore this summer.

The File-Box is being offered in three different "colors" black, beige & translucent.
black only available in nihongo
beige & translucent in most of asia and western countries Global Site.
The finish overall is satin/matte, the surface is easily damaged by scratches.

Material & Durability​

As you may notice here the wall thickness varies a lot 2[+.5]mm.
Polypropylene itsself as an material starts distorting at 55/130 °C/°F.
I have seen it buldging under the sunrays on a hot day, but return back to shape in the evening.

I dont think of buying an in-case display for this project, but heres an example what it would look like, wallpaper here.

more updates coming (very slow)

This Build will be mostly a Remix of my K1 Case, redesigned to look good in a translucent box.

Maybe u have stumbled onto those renders of the translucent Ghost S1 sometime ago, great inspiration.

Last edited:

aromachi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 18, 2019

MUJI File Box - Translucent PP Case​

This Idea all started when I found out that the Alphacool 280 Radiator would fit perfectly into one of those File boxes from Muji:

I started investing more time into this small autumn project, and ended up with the following CAD assembly after 20+hours.

more updates coming (very slow)

This Build will be mostly a Remix of my K1 Case, redesigned to look good in a translucent box.

Maybe u have stumbled onto those renders of the translucent Ghost S1 sometime ago, great inspiration.
nice find on that box. my brain just went into full creative mode seeing that. I spent a lot of time theory crafting some cool designs using the bamboo boxes you can find on amazon and aliexpress. A PC would look cool in that translucent acrylic or whatever it is.

Reactions: Kiborato

Sicaris

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 6, 2016
I'm not typically a fan of RGB or built in displays but they could be really awesome behind that translucent case. Sort of a Blade Runner billboards through the fog vibe.

Reactions: Kiborato

Kiborato

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 3, 2021

The File Box​

So this File-Box is made by a japanese minimalism brand called Muji mostly known for their no-logo & no-branding products.
I discovored this File-Box at first at their Store in Berlin and fell in love with the matte black variant in the Ginza Flagshipstore this summer.

The File-Box is being offered in three different "colors" black, beige & translucent.
black only available in nihongo
beige & translucent in most of asia and western countries Global Site.
The finish overall is satin/matte, the surface is easily damaged by scratches.

Material & Durability​

As you may notice here the wall thickness varies a lot 2[+.5]mm.
Polypropylene itsself as an material starts distorting at 55/130 °C/°F.
I have seen it buldging under the sunrays on a hot day, but return back to shape in the evening.

I'm not typically a fan of RGB or built in displays but they could be really awesome behind that translucent case. Sort of a Blade Runner billboards through the fog vibe.
I dont think of buying an in-case display for this project, but heres an example what it would look like, wallpaper here.