Advice A SFF PC built in a flight case?

Download

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
For those not aware (I assume not many), flight cases are those black, wheeled boxes with metal trim that are commonly used to transport musical equipment like amplifier racks and such. Quite a few are constructed with 19" racks like those used for servers in them (and portable servers, switches etc are often mounted in them), which got me thinking: why not build a SFF PC in one?

Most are custom made to fit whatever goes in them, often built by the user themselves. For example, here is a video of one being built:

So this got me thinking about building one for a SFF PC. Not a boy the PC goes in, but the actual PC case as a flight case.

My thought was to use front to back cooling like a server, with removable front and back panels, like that used in most 19" rack cases.

I'm not sure I will use its flight case functionality much. I am looking for a 12 or so litre SFF case with carry handles and capability for some rough handling for my next build, so this is fitting what I had in mind. I'm not sure if to do straight mounting though, or if it should be a double shell design with shock isolation. The latter would more closely fit a flight case.

Curious if anyone sees any major sticking points.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Removable panels for airflow sounds a fine idea. If you can find suitable quick release fittings, all the better.
Maybe you could build the PC in a skeleton frame that slides into the flight case neatly, thereby making the build and maintenance easier.

Personally, I'm using a Sliger S610 [~13.5L] with top handle to take to LAN nights and its fine other than a couple of dings in the powdercoat.

Before that, I used to take my NCase M1 in a custom webbing harness with a soft top handle that I could carry like a briefcase.
In fact, that harness was adapted from the original one that I carried my SG13 with even longer ago!

I did envisage an mATX setup the size of a Cerberus with top handle, and slide over fabric panniers to put my keyboard / mouse / headset in, but never got that made as I stayed with ITX builds.

Reactions: Download

aromachi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 18, 2019
For those not aware (I assume not many), flight cases are those black, wheeled boxes with metal trim that are commonly used to transport musical equipment like amplifier racks and such. Quite a few are constructed with 19" racks like those used for servers in them (and portable servers, switches etc are often mounted in them), which got me thinking: why not build a SFF PC in one?

Most are custom made to fit whatever goes in them, often built by the user themselves. For example, here is a video of one being built:

So this got me thinking about building one for a SFF PC. Not a boy the PC goes in, but the actual PC case as a flight case.

My thought was to use front to back cooling like a server, with removable front and back panels, like that used in most 19" rack cases.

I'm not sure I will use its flight case functionality much. I am looking for a 12 or so litre SFF case with carry handles and capability for some rough handling for my next build, so this is fitting what I had in mind. I'm not sure if to do straight mounting though, or if it should be a double shell design with shock isolation. The latter would more closely fit a flight case.

Curious if anyone sees any major sticking points.
I was exploring this option with the hard plastic pelican cases for many months. I looked at flight cases too (and tool boxes), but I liked the aesthetics of the black plastic over the other options.

Download

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
I was exploring this option with the hard plastic pelican cases for many months. I looked at flight cases too (and tool boxes), but I liked the aesthetics of the black plastic over the other options.
That's fair, but I like the flight case aesthetic more lol.

Reactions: aromachi