Motherboard Suggestions for overhaul build! h400 case, ASUS vs MSI.

TrustUK

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Nov 29, 2020
Hi Guys,

I am looking to overhaul my build, being used with all the perks Intel offers I find myself a bit struggling with AMD motherboards, they are really low features. I am currently boasting a z370i, this board is what, 3 years old? It has USB-C Front Panel, great built in Audio, a plethora of ports at the back... last time I used AMD it had the quite peculiar Slot 1 and I was always on a budget :) some of these AMD boards seems "knock off of original".

My choice below:

MicroATX BOARDS

***ASUS TUF Gaming B550M-PLUS***
I like the motherboard, however the fact that the GPU is a slot down isn't ideal, considering many GPU are 2.5 slots it really takes the fans close to the bottom, it also leaves an empty slot and it looks quite bad in my opinion, reason why ATX are a bit pointless nowadays. It seems to have great power delivery, look isn't bad at all and I like RGB, within limits of course. This one has a great IO ports. I could use that slot for an audio card though so not all is bad with regards to that point, more below.

Cons:
No front USB-C header, my 3 years old z370i has it... this is the very very negative point of this board, no excuse not to have it.
GPU Slot one down but again first could be populated with a DAC.
Never tried that audio chip and not sure how it would perform with my Bose Headset.

***MSI MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI***
This one seems very good, has very good review on power delivery, memory track are on separate PCB if I am not mistaken and it has USB C front header, it is more the cons that worry me :D

Cons:
Seems to have tons of issues with WiFi and Bluetooth reading reviews on amazon, however that's strange as it has the same intel chip so perhaps was an early bios issue?
Never tried that audio chip and not sure how it would perform with my Bose Headset
IO is super poor, really really poor, there is a total lack of USB ports in 2020 is really not justifiable
Would be able to use a dedicated audio as when the second m2 is used the PCi of last slot won't work and most likely any new GPU will cover the PCI 1x slots so with this card one has to rely on the on board audio, again never tried that codec so not sure how good it is.
Issues with USB ports and controllers

MINI ITX BOARDS

***ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING MiniITX***
Same size as my current one, only downside no RGB at the back, the h400 with this board would show part of the "hole" to access the pcb of a standard matx, with RGB for the z370i it doesn't look bad at all however without RGB that may be noticeable, considering the asking price there is no reason to have a poor man strix card as they did here.
Pro is that this at least has the same audio as any other strix which with Bose headset isn't bad at all.

Cons:
Another rubbish IO panel, 4 usb that's it...and one C.
No RGB strip at the back despite being a strix
Routing of cables is so and so as they had to but all connectors on the side and not bottom, most of them.

***ASUS ROG Strix X570-I ***
Now this is meant to be the equivalent of my own current Intel mobo. It has same RGB light on the side (no excuse not have them on the card above, they are both strix and led cost like pennies, literally). IO is amazing, great selection of UBS ports

Cons:
Again another nonsense from ASUS, no USB C front on the flagship rog miniITX despite the B550 has, the Intel z490I has it and my 3 years old z370i has it, Asus quality is following corsair
£280 price tag yet has features missing for no reasons at all
Routing of cables is so and so as they had to but all connectors on the side and not bottom, most of them.

PREFERENCES

I would buy the ASUS B550m right away if it wasn't for the lack of front USB-C, considering that the MB and CPU aren't the GPU so are going to be in there longer
My secondo preference would be the B550i it has good audio, USB C only thing is about "look" but I could work something out
z550 at nearly 300 quid with no USB C is hard to justify...

What do you suggest?