Prebuilt MSI Trident

Sicaris

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 6, 2016
I'm kinda surprised the MSI Trident hasn't seen any interest on here, not because of the package as a whole but because of the components it contains. The motherboard in particular seems very promising, from my estimation (pic below) its a mini STX board, but even if it is mITX it has a horizontal PCIe on the opposite side to spec (meaning the GPU vents upwards) and can handle 230 W input from a brick. What are the chances we'll see boards like this sold separately?

Reactions: Ceros_X

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
What are the chances we'll see boards like this sold separately?

Basically 0% because the board is useless without a custom case. Which is probably why there isn't much interest, we're a DIY kind of crowd :p

Sicaris

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 6, 2016
Basically 0% because the board is useless without a custom case. Which is probably why there isn't much interest, we're a DIY kind of crowd

Yes because there are zero custom cases on this forum...

I get that its a chicken egg kind of situation but this solution is far better than anything else out there for SFF.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
If boards like this were readily available as a standardized form factor via Intel, then I think you might see some willingness to develop a case around it. Presently the closest thing we have to this solution is the B150M-PIO from AsRock which isn't even available through retail channels yet. Developing a case that has no upgrade path due to likely future unavailability of the form factor is not exactly a great value proposition, doubly so because you can't even mass produce and profit from your design down the road if it turns out to be popular. As far as seeing something like this in the future, just wait until CES. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Sicaris

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 6, 2016
If boards like this were readily available as a standardized form factor via Intel, then I think you might see some willingness to develop a case around it. Presently the closest thing we have to this solution is the B150M-PIO from AsRock which isn't even available through retail channels yet. Developing a case that has no upgrade path due to likely future unavailability of the form factor is not exactly a great value proposition, doubly so because you can't even mass produce and profit from your design down the road if it turns out to be popular. As far as seeing something like this in the future, just wait until CES. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Perhaps I should have phrased my first post differently, along the lines of "I really wish they sold these motherboards separately I'd love to build a case around one"

Either way fingers crossed for CES

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
From MSI's perspective though, there's probably only 10-20 people who'd design a custom case just for this board. And it doesn't make sense for the case manufacturers to design around this one board either.

So if you want the board you'll just have to buy the system, strip it down, and sell what you don't need.

It sucks but such is life when dealing with proprietary systems.