Motherboard msi B550I Gaming Edge Wifi

bius

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 12, 2020
hey guys! I got my MSI B550i too this week and running with a ryzen 3600, and the same issue here, the default voltage is too high (~1.4v) I wonder how to lower this to safe levels.
another thing is how is your bios resolution? I have a 2k monitor and using an RX560 video card and the resolution is terrible, looks like a SNES game lol, really low, is it possible to change this?

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Just saw a concerning 1 star review for this board on Newegg:

The complaint is that the components on the back of the board don't allow for the backplate to be changed to fit other CPU coolers. The cooler they wanted to fit was not mentioned.

I did see a heat spreader on the back of the board that's fairly close to the stock backplate, so maybe that causes problems with some brackets.

Has anyone here fitted any non-stock coolers to this yet?

Also, looks like there's an updated BIOS listed on the MSI forum thread that @Tuscany started.

Reactions: Tuscany

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Just saw a concerning 1 star review for this board on Newegg:

The complaint is that the components on the back of the board don't allow for the backplate to be changed to fit other CPU coolers. The cooler they wanted to fit was not mentioned.

I did see a heat spreader on the back of the board that's fairly close to the stock backplate, so maybe that causes problems with some brackets.

Has anyone here fitted any non-stock coolers to this yet?

Also, looks like there's an updated BIOS listed on the MSI forum thread that @Tuscany started.
The problem with the MSI is the 2 additional cutouts they put on their AM4 backplate as you can see in the picture below.

Most AM4 backplates, like the Noctua below only have a single cutout.

Reactions: NOKYARD and AlexTSG

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
The problem with the MSI is the 2 additional cutouts they put on their AM4 backplate as you can see in the picture below.

Most AM4 backplates, like the Noctua below only have a single cutout.

Wow, that has to break with some sort of AMD design spec. Not good. Definitely rules out this board for me.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
I've done some more research, and although I don't like these additional cutouts, they probably won't be an issue with the coolers I'm considering.

All the Noctua Coolers that I'm interested in required the plastic retention mechanism on the top of the board to be removed, but screwed onto the backplate included with the motherboard.

The NZXT Kraken X53 was the same.

However, an AIO from ID-Cooling, like the Zoomflow 240 looks like it would be a problem, as that has it's own backplate which goes on instead of the stock one.

Overall I think it's a bad design choice by MSI. Cooling in SFF PCs is challenging enough, without the added worry of wondering if the retention mechanism for the cooler will be a problem.

It looks like once people start getting the board and using different coolers it might be useful to start a "MSI MPG B550I Compatible CPU Coolers" thread.

Here are some links to coolers I checked that look like they should work (on the motherboard, not necessarily in your particular SFF case XD):

Noctua U9S, L12S, and C14S (Page 5 of the PDF)

NZXT Kraken X53 240mm

Reactions: scatterforce

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 26, 2020

I actually got the BIOS via their tech support but I was waiting for it to appear on the support web page of the board before offering it here.
Downloaded it and now it works a lot better - still testing but for now -0.1 is giving pretty good results.

I also created another thread on their forum as well as I opened a ticket to ask the questions.
Good I didn't buy the NH-L9a yet ...

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexTSG

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Good I didn't buy the NH-L9a yet ...

It looks like, thanks to Noctua, you should be able to fit the NH-L9a

While the included mounting plate won't work, due to the problem that @rfarmer pointed out, you should be able to contact Noctua support and obtain an alternative mounting solution:

prayogahs

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 21, 2019
It looks like, thanks to Noctua, you should be able to fit the NH-L9a

While the included mounting plate won't work, due to the problem that @rfarmer pointed out, you should be able to contact Noctua support and obtain an alternative mounting solution:

Not necessarily. Someone in reddit already contacted Noctua and they say they cannot provide an alternative mounting kit for L9i/L9a-AM4 because this board doesnt follow AMD specifications. Better to find an alternative cooler for this...

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
@prayogahs Thanks for the link. Looks like at the very least it's worth contacting Noctua Support before making any purchase.

This is going to be a problem for a lot of people who aren't aware of the deviation from the AMD specification, and may purchase an incompatible cooler. :(

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 26, 2020
MSI Support told me to bagga off. "Please choose compatible cooler" ...
If I potentially dremel the Noctua backplate to open 2 additional holes, would this be a problem for the strength of the mount and the backplate itself? Will it break?

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
MSI Support told me to bagga off. "Please choose compatible cooler" ...
If I potentially dremel the Noctua backplate to open 2 additional holes, would this be a problem for the strength of the mount and the backplate itself? Will it break?

I don't think it should be a problem. If you look at Noctua's alternate mounting option you'll see it's just some washers. Obviously, a proper backplate distributes the pressure better, and prevents the board from bending, but I don't think that should be an issue with a smaller cooler and an 8 layer motherboard.

Show us your dremelling work when you're done!

Last edited:

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 26, 2020
I actually don't have the cooler yet, I still believe I will get away with the stock one, though it seems to be getting a bit hotter inside my SM550.
But the reddit user above did it already an provided some shots.

NOKYARD

Trash Compacter
Jul 7, 2018
Keep in mind that using unapproved or modified cooler mounting hardware on an AMD CPU voids the warranty.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Keep in mind that using unapproved or modified cooler mounting hardware on an AMD CPU voids the warranty.

I would just keep the original MSI supplied plate, and replace it should you need to send anything back for a warranty claim, or if you chose to sell the board at a later stage.

As the hardware you're modifying would be the CPU cooler manufacturers backplate, I don't think you would have issues with your warranty. Worth pointing out though, so someone doesn't mod a backplate and then send it in without changing it back to the original.

Also, warranty aside, I think as long as you're careful with the cutting of the plate, and make sure there's sufficient clearance for the SMDs on that area at the back of the motherboard, you're not going to do any damage to anything. People probably damage components more by not following any anti-static precautions when building PCs!

Reactions: rickster

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 26, 2020

This is a discussion on a whole different level where everyone is to blame and in reality, the only one guilty is the user for having very specific requirements ...
Sadly, we live in a world where no one gives a "browny" for the user.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
This is a discussion on a whole different level where everyone is to blame and in reality, the only one guilty is the user for having very specific requirements ...
Sadly, we live in a world where no one gives a "browny" for the user.
Wait, everyone is to blame for MSI not following the design specifications of the platform they are building a motherboard for?