Cooling Motherboard components cooled by down-blowing CPU cooler

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
One chief side benefit of using a down-blowing CPU cooler is that its downward air current can cool off motherboard components surrounding the CPU socket.
For Asus Z270i and Z370i (citing these as examples only), the M.2 socket is right between the CPU socket and the PCIe expansion slot.
So, the motherboard VRM and this M.2 SSD can potentially receive this benefit.

Does anybody has actual experience on this matter? How much can a cooler like Phanteks PH-TC14CS or Noctua NH-C14S or NH-L12 help cooling down the M.2 SSD and VRM? Does anyone has numerical figures of this benefit?

Reactions: Phuncz

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
Josh at NFC had tested a specific scenario in his S4 Mini chassis using a zalman low profile cooler and a 120mm fan. The temps on the motherboard verse any other cooler were lower. This certainly supports the theory that it helps cool motherboard components.

I haven't come across some large collective database containing numerical figures for every combination of CPU cooling out there yet though, I'll keep searching though! :)

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
This is why some people recommend spot cooling for motherboard components when using a water cooler on the CPU. Keep in mind, however, that the benefit will depend on how hot your CPU is running (as the air being blown on the mobo components is already warmed by the cooler) and how easily this warm air can exit your case..

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Every top-down cooler I've tested has yielded a (usually significant) net decrease in motherboard component temperatures. IMHO, unless you've got component conflicts or a >100w CPU, top-down is the way to go for cooling.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
Every top-down cooler I've tested has yielded a (usually significant) net decrease in motherboard component temperatures. IMHO, unless you've got component conflicts or a >100w CPU, top-down is the way to go for cooling.

May I ask, where are your reviews posted? Are they somewhere buried in this forum? I need to explore around to see if I can find them. I surely like to read those tests.
Currently, I am checking out the Noctua NH-C14S, which I think is the most powerful down blower. If anyone knows any cooler more capable, please let me know.

confusis

SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
May I ask, where are your reviews posted? Are they somewhere buried in this forum? I need to explore around to see if I can find them. I surely like to read those tests.
Currently, I am checking out the Noctua NH-C14S, which I think is the most powerful down blower. If anyone knows any cooler more capable, please let me know.

Find all my reviews here: https://smallformfactor.net/ Not exactly buried in the forum.

I'm John Morrison :)

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
Thanks John.

I now have read a few of your reviews. But I do not seem to see results relating to the temp of motherboard components cooled by the downblowing air current. Am I missing something? It seems reviews usually only show result of the CPU temp.

Regarding the Results' bar chart of the Noctua NH-C14S, the first 3 ('Bottom Fan', 'Top Fan' and 'Both Fan') are down-blowing setups while the 4th ('Inverted Fan') means the fan is set up in the bottom blowing air upward. Am I correct?

Any member has experience to share? I am particularly interested to learn how much the temp of the onboard M.2 SSD drops due to the downblowing air flow.

confusis

SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Correct regarding the NH-C14S.

I never said I had numerical records of motherboard temperatures with downdraft coolers, I just had experience with the coolers having a positive effect on components. I've never found motherboard temperature monitors to be particularly reliable so I generally do not refer to reported figures - they would be useless and best and misleading at worst. A certain CPU reports the same between motherboards, but each motherboard reports differently on other components such as VRMs and chipsets.

Also, I'm not the only one to have observed motherboard cooling: https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=d.....69i57j0l5.4976j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 22, 2017
Any member has experience to share?

I can echo @confusis here when saying a downdraft cooler drops overall motherboard temps when using a lower wattage CPU, and so given space it is a useful method to choose. Personally, I use a small Noctua tower cooler because I would not have any intake at all with a downdraft - but my experience can verify they do cool motherboard components when they have access to air. You aren't missing anything in the reviews, we trust John's experience around here, he has loads of it! :)

Of course this is just my experience as well, it looks like you are looking for numbers. Let us know if you come up with any!

Reactions: confusis

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
I dont know if its more capable than the NH-C14S but the bequiet dark rock TF looks comparable.
Indeed this Dark Rock TF looks like a monster. I will add it to my consideration in addition to the Noctua and the Phanteks PH-TC14CS.

I can echo @confusis
Of course this is just my experience as well, it looks like you are looking for numbers. Let us know if you come up with any!
I have no doubt that a downblowing cooler will help cooling the motherboard components as I have used this type before.
I am most interested to know, in an M-ITX motherboard, the extent of cooling benefit applied to the onboard M.2 SSD. Onboard M.2 SSD is a relatively new feature and I have not come across a review that studies this cooling effect. When I come across such related numbers, I surely will post them here.

confusis

SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
All of the M-ITX boards I can test with have the M.2 ports on the rear side, so unfortunately I can't throw together a quick test for you :(