Discussion Most silent cooling for Dan A4?

Dog6000

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Nov 8, 2020
First off, Hi!

I'm very new to this community, I've been lurking around the forums for a good 2 weeks or so and I've been watching Optimum Tech for about a year now. Now I've decided to sign up and ask for some help, since after a fair bit of research, some things are still not 100% clear to me and I wasn't able to find exact comparisons for what I needed (though that could just be up to me being new to navigating forums, I still get confused here and there)

I was lucky to get a 5600x on launch day and I'm hoping to either get a 6800 or a 3070 and try to fir all that in an A4.
The main goal is for the PC to be as quiet as possible and from what I could find more posts focus on temps than acoustics (though I'm aware they go somewhat hand in hand)

CPU and GPU is mostly what I build around, so as for the other parts I'm pretty open to anything. Here's the parts that I've found to be recommended the most for my use case.

• Dan Case A4-SFX (obviously)
  • Ryzen 5600x
  • 3070 eagle/twin edge/founders or a 6800 (maybe an XT if theres an AIB partner who makes it fit within the 40/45mm slot size, and all depending on which one ends up quietest)
  • B550 Phantom Gaming-ITX
  • Samsung 500gb NVME (don't remember which one anymore, I've had it in my current build for a while now)
  • 2x8gb of VLP KVR26N19S8L/8 memory or 2x16gb of lpx 3200MT/s C16 memory
  • Corsair SF600
  • 2x noctua nf-a9x14 as case fans
Now as for cooling the cpu, my main question arises:
What is quieter?
  • the black ridge and a 120mm nf-a12x15 (and maybe a shroud to avoid air recirculation from the case) with VLP 2x8gb memory (2x16 is a little to pricey for me, or I haven't found a good deal on it yet)
OR
  • the Asetek 645LT with another nf-a9x14 (which sounds like it's an absolute pain to install but oh well, I'll manage, if not, I might buy a 24 pin from pslate) and 2x16gb of normal memory since according to GN and Wendell this sees a fairly significant increase in performance to ryzen 5000 (any recommendations besides the very very standard Vengeance lpx?)

From what I've seen the 5600x is pretty on par with the 3600 power consumption wise, so from other posts and videos I've seen with the 3600 and the black ridge, temps shouldn't be too much of an issue, right?(please do correct me if I'm wrong, I have no idea what I'm talking about)

If there's something quieter I haven't considered I'd greatly appreciate any new input, and overall feedback on the part selection.

Thanks!

Diamorif

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2020
the BR with either a 92mm or a 100mm fan should do you just fine with a 65W CPU. I run a 3900 (65W version of the 12core) under a BR with a Thermalright TY-100 and the performance is outstanding. Kingston and Team Group make decent low profile RAM, also gskill makes some sort of lower profile ripjaws kit or something to that effect. In addition to Optimum Tech, the youtube channel Glob3tech has a really good video series on the dan a4 with a bunch of different cooling configs that he tested.

The 645LT is good but I've actually been getting way better performance out of the BR with the 100mm fan set to intake. If you go that route, I would also highly suggets grabbing a noctua am4 mounting kit and using the backplate to mount the cooler. Best $9 you can spend ()

Last edited:
Reactions: rebox and Dog6000

Dog6000

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Nov 8, 2020
the BR with either a 92mm or a 100mm fan should do you just fine with a 65W CPU. I run a 3900 (65W version of the 12core) under a BR with a Thermalright TY-100 and the performance is outstanding. Kingston and Team Group make decent low profile RAM, also gskill makes some sort of lower profile ripjaws kit or something to that effect. In addition to Optimum Tech, the youtube channel Glob3tech has a really good video series on the dan a4 with a bunch of different cooling configs that he tested.

The 645LT is good but I've actually been getting way better performance out of the BR with the 100mm fan set to intake. If you go that route, I would also highly suggets grabbing a noctua am4 mounting kit and using the backplate to mount the cooler. Best $9 you can spend ()
Surprised to hear someone has had more success with the BR than the 645LT, better for me, I get to save some cash and avoid some mounting pain haha. So just to confirm, a 100mm fan fits underneath the BR without using VLP? just standard low profile memory is sufficient here? I've been watching some Glob3Tech videos, I'll probably end up using it to do some kind of a build along, since he seems to give great tips. I'll be sure to invest into a noctua mounting kit. Thanks for the Tips!

Diamorif

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2020
that is correct re the fan. Make sure its blowing towards the mobo. the 645 is a better option for the high tdp chips, given the cooler height available, but the BR is king up to 105 watts.

Reactions: Dog6000