Stalled Mosaik - Klotz: 18.9L (prev. 18.6L) Case for Large Air and Liquid Coolers With Minimalistic Design

Pat-Roner

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2016
Alright, so we've been busy over the weekend going through all of the comments on Instagram, Reddit, Emails, and here in this thread and here are some quick updates.

- ATX PSU support: The good news is that we were able to implement an optional ATX PSU bracket without changing much of the chassis. It would allow for up to 180mm long PSUs with 38mm clearance underneath for cables (though that's a tight fit, so we'd recommend sticking to shorter PSUs if possible) and up to 235mm long GPUs (total length with PCIe bracket at the end included in the measurement). The downside is that there was only one way to make it fit, which is at the front, parallel to the front plate. What this means is that there would be no room for 240mm/280mm radiators or front intake fans on the side bracket with this configuration. Given all that, would some of you still be interested in the ATX PSU bracket?

- Options for darker wood/all-aluminum versions: A couple of people have asked if we could offer dark wood or all metal front alternatives. At first, we figured sure why not. However, after giving it some thought, we came to the conclusion that it will be highly unrealistic that we can offer that many options right away, especially with the production quantities that we would be starting out with. We don't even know for sure if we can actually offer two different kinds of wood for the front panel right off the bat. But, what might be realistic is that we offer the aluminum front plate, powder-coated in the same colors as the exterior, as an optional accessory. Oh and just as a side note, we could also provide a cutting template for those that would like to make their own custom wood panel for the front.

Here's a quick render of what the all-aluminum version could look like:

What do you guys think?

- More flexibility for the front I/O (+ taller feet): Front I/O port options is a tricky subject. Of course, we would like to go as minimalistic as possible, however, including at least one port offers many benefits for a lot of users. Adding more than one port though adds additional cables that need to be routed, a higher cost to the end-user and a more cluttered look to the front of the case. Additionally, even though we personally like the idea of adding a front audio jack, we've had some bad experiences with these in the past as the quality seems to vary quite a bit and we would hate for this to happen to our case. So, at least for now, we've decided that a power button + one port in the front would make the most sense.

Our initial concept included a USB-C port at the front that was designed as a custom PCB in order to make it fit in that space. However, we totally understand that it would be frustrating for those that don't have the required motherboard header for it. So, we worked on a new front I/O that uses a standard cable for the USB-C port instead of the custom PCB solution. What this means is that we could offer both a USB 3.0 to USB-C and a USB 3.1 to USB-C cable for the front I/O (with one of those being an optional accessory). So the physical port at the front would be the same, but the plugs for the motherboard would allow for either header on the motherboard side. Of course, the speeds you'd get would be different, but at least you could still make use of that port in front. Making those cables fit though required a repositioning of the front I/O from the top left of the case to the bottom left and a vertical orientation vs. a horizontal one, which would look like this:

(This render also includes the addition of slightly taller feet than the ones we previously had. Slightly meaning 2mm taller. Yes, this sounds like it's nothing but we tried taller variations and to be quite honest, it just doesn't suit the design well at all. In case we do find a solution that works, then we'll post it here to get your feedback. Also, the feet are simply screwed on with a countersunk screw, so taller feet could be DIY'ed pretty easily if the current height simply doesn't work for someone.)

Here's a render of the chassis with old and new I/O side by side:

(Left: Previous front I/O; Right: New alternative)

The only thing that this new placement would change for the fit of the components would be that the cables for the SSD on the left would have to be routed through the top portion of the front panel (with the SSD orientation being upside down) as the cables do not fit in between the SSD and new front I/O module.

We're very interested to hear your thoughts on all this :)
Would love to see ATX support for the case. I don't care for watercooling, and since there are plenty of short decent atx powersupplies some even passive, that is something I really would like to see.

In terms of wood, remember people can also stain themselves - it's extremely simple - if adding too many color options for wood ends up costing too much.

From what I've seen so far this looks really good and might replace my ncase m1.

Pat-Roner

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2016
Alright. Yeah we got some feedback on the legs being a bit short which could cause insufficient airflow for the GPU. At just 10mm (+ 1mm anti-slip/anti-scratch pads) the feet aren't super tall and though we could quickly address this by either making the feet slightly taller or designing an optional alternative. However, it just really didn't look good. So, unless you guys think otherwise, we'll move ahead with the original feet for now and see what the testing with the prototype will tell. (Also, it's 11mm ground clearance from the sides, but 13mm lengthwise because the shell doesn't cover that part.)

A couple of years ago i did my own testing on how clearance to desk affected gpu temps. Here is the comment, and there is a another comment further down on the same page in the thread as well - hope it helps.

Reactions: adesignaddict

Kruger

Cable Smoosher
Aug 2, 2019
The look of the case is great, very excited to see it progress! What are the chances it can support a 120mm + 240mm AIO setup?

The 240 pushed all the way to the front and the 120 mounted at the rear?

No Hands 55

Chassis Packer
Feb 11, 2020
The look of the case is great, very excited to see it progress! What are the chances it can support a 120mm + 240mm AIO setup?

The 240 pushed all the way to the front and the 120 mounted at the rear?
a 240 on the side or possibly bottom, 120 rear seems like it should work as well. cooling on the front will not work. id basically look at the Ncase M1 for watercooling ideas as this is just a slightly bigger case with a very similar layout.

Kruger

Cable Smoosher
Aug 2, 2019
a 240 on the side or possibly bottom, 120 rear seems like it should work as well. cooling on the front will not work. id basically look at the Ncase M1 for watercooling ideas as this is just a slightly bigger case with a very similar layout.
Yeah, the 240 on the side but "slid" all the way forward to the front of the case on the mounting rails to maybe/hopefully allow room for the 120+Fan right behind it mounted on the rear.

adesignaddict

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 9, 2020
www.mosaikcases.com
A exact measurement would be awsome
My personal problem is 65mm taller as the PCI Bracket, which barely fits into my Define R6, which has a 140mm Fan in the rear above the Mainboard IO shield.
That´s the reason I asked for the 140mm Fan, cause that´s a Quick and easy way of checking if my gpu would fit in a rather normal Hardware layout.

Hey, so I just checked and it's currently 68mm from the surface where the PCI bracket of the GPU attaches to the case and the edge of the chassis.

adesignaddict

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 9, 2020
www.mosaikcases.com
Would love to see ATX support for the case. I don't care for watercooling, and since there are plenty of short decent atx powersupplies some even passive, that is something I really would like to see.

In terms of wood, remember people can also stain themselves - it's extremely simple - if adding too many color options for wood ends up costing too much.

From what I've seen so far this looks really good and might replace my ncase m1.

Alright, good to know. Thanks.

That's a nice idea. Though, just so everyone thinking of this is aware, we're currently planning on adding a clear coat to the wood panels, which would inhibit staining unless being sanded off first. This is mainly to protect the wood from dirt or natural skin oils when being touched. Hope that's not a deal-breaker :)

adesignaddict

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 9, 2020
www.mosaikcases.com
Yeah, the 240 on the side but "slid" all the way forward to the front of the case on the mounting rails to maybe/hopefully allow room for the 120+Fan right behind it mounted on the rear.

Just a heads up: the available length on the interior is currently 325mm. A 240mm AIO is around 275mm long + 55mm thickness of a typical 120mm AIO comes to 330mm + extra for clearance. Unless you happen to have a thinner radiator for the 120mm, this combination will most likely not work out.

Reactions: Kruger

Kruger

Cable Smoosher
Aug 2, 2019
Just a heads up: the available length on the interior is currently 325mm. A 240mm AIO is around 275mm long + 55mm thickness of a typical 120mm AIO comes to 330mm + extra for clearance. Unless you happen to have a thinner radiator for the 120mm, this combination will most likely not work out.
Thank you for the update! With the provided dimensions I think I could make a thinner fan work. Cant wait to purchase!

adesignaddict

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 9, 2020
www.mosaikcases.com
Awesome so it sounds like the Arctic Accelero iii with 25mm fans will fit?

The 68mm clearance was in regards to the width available inside the case for the GPU ;) Though the clearance from the GPU PCB board to the bottom panel of the case is currently also at 69mm. Do you mean to fit an Accelero 3 with the installed fans + 25mm case fans or just the Accelero heatsink with 25mm case fans? The former might be too tall as you also have to figure in the GPU die height sticking out from the PCB. But the latter should work :)

No Hands 55

Chassis Packer
Feb 11, 2020
The 68mm clearance was in regards to the width available inside the case for the GPU ;) Though the clearance from the GPU PCB board to the bottom panel of the case is currently also at 69mm. Do you mean to fit an Accelero 3 with the installed fans + 25mm case fans or just the Accelero heatsink with 25mm case fans? The former might be too tall as you also have to figure in the GPU die height sticking out from the PCB. But the latter should work :)
without the accelero fans and just the 25mm fans. so it sounds like it will work! thats amazing, this is going to the best air cooling case. Im wanting to recreate this layout but with a D15

https://i.redd.it/aaxvx4ouvu621.jpg

Reactions: adesignaddict

lawney

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 28, 2018
This looks awesome. Hope that black and oak is also possible to combine together. Might a little too much of volume for many in here but I do like the design a lot and at least there is no riser cable that might break.. ?

Agreed. I think the woods and shells need to be switched. Maple/White, Oak/Black

adesignaddict

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 9, 2020
www.mosaikcases.com
This is just what I've been looking for! Any estimates of when we can buy this?

Glad to hear that! Not yet, sorry. We're trying to move things ahead as fast as possible, but we've still got quite a bit of work ahead of us.

- Next up is prototyping to validate the design, tweak it, and correct any issues that might arise.
- If the prototype(s) works we can start test-fitting the components, perform cooling performance tests, and make sure everything works as planned.
- Unless there are any major showstoppers along the way, we can then move into the funding/pre-order phase.

Of course, I'm skipping over some stuff here, but this is roughly what lies ahead of us.