Monolith - 8L Micro-ATX Case

Colinreay

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Aug 28, 2016
Here are some test photos! Still working out which direction I want to go photo wise, really want to upgrade from my LX3 and create a nice setup in my garage. Right now these take quite a long time to setup and edit.

Colinreay

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Aug 28, 2016
PHOTOS!

The case is finally in its final form, and I couldn't be happier with the result. I put a lot of time into this, and experienced tons of setbacks in addition to being super busy with school, and it's finally over! At the end of the day, I've learned tons from this project, and can't wait to move on.

I'm probably going to dedicate a little bit of time over the next few days to cleaning the case and and taking some really nice photos that I'll upload along with the final project updates on a few forums/outlets, but for the time being, I'll leave you guys with some photos to look at for now, which shows off most of the case's features.

\

The current setup... Pretty ramshackle but hey, it works!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
really nice case...nice looking and pretty effective layout..:)

What about temperature? You have clearly good intake, but what about exhausting hot air?..:D

Reactions: Biowarejak

Colinreay

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Aug 28, 2016
really nice case...nice looking and pretty effective layout..:)

What about temperature? You have clearly good intake, but what about exhausting hot air?..:D

Great question! When I designed this case, I didn't really take the exhaust airflow route into account - since all of the fans are so close to the outside world I guess I was hoping air would naturally permeate out, sort of like many of @sergiiua's cases, or the dancase. I have yet to test it, but because I am not using parts that run very hot or draw a lot of power (except for the cpu), I would imagine heat would be tolerable. I will post results though!

Well done on reaching the final stage, it looks awesome ! Well done on the photos too !

Thank you Phuncz! Glad to finally have finished, way more to come!

Gorgeous! 750ti Represent! :)

Gotta love it! Super cheap to buy used (which is what I did), efficient, and honestly, seeing as the most intensive game I play is minecraft sans system-heavy shaders, it's really all I need.

Looks great!

The creator's curse :p

Thank you Aibo! Huge fan of your work! Only gettin' started.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Gotta love it! Super cheap to buy used (which is what I did), efficient, and honestly, seeing as the most intensive game I play is minecraft sans system-heavy shaders, it's really all I need.

I have a couple myself, great little cards. Pushing most things at 1440p with Nvidia recommended settings at 60fps or higher :) Granted I mostly play older titles.

Reactions: AleksandarK

Colinreay

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Aug 28, 2016
what about noise level? I'm always frightened by flex atx PSU... (and great build of course)

Thank you! I'm in the middle of testing in Aida64, with the CPU pegged @ 100%. Right now, the noise from the FlexATX is pretty much imperceptible. However, I'm undervolting the CPU to lower temps, and have an ultra low power 750Ti. I'll let you know once I can stress the GPU and CPU at the same time.

Colinreay

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Aug 28, 2016
Just wondering if anyone else has ever had trouble benchmarking/monitoring temps...

It seems every program I'm trying gives me different numbers for CPU temp, lol. @100% load, HWMonitor would be saying something like 100+C, AIDA (which I was using to stress test) would say 55C, and Coretemp says 7C... Anyone else ever had this issue?

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Just wondering if anyone else has ever had trouble benchmarking/monitoring temps...

It seems every program I'm trying gives me different numbers for CPU temp, lol. @100% load, HWMonitor would be saying something like 100+C, AIDA (which I was using to stress test) would say 55C, and Coretemp says 7C... Anyone else ever had this issue?
Simultaneous program monitoring can mess with the numbers

Colinreay

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Aug 28, 2016
Simultaneous program monitoring can mess with the numbers

Ah I see, thanks for the insight, I'll just stick to one at a time now. I have a sneaking suspicion that HWmonitor might be particularly buggy. Even just running it by itself, the CPU would be listed going up to 105C, but I felt the air being moved around the heatsink as well as the metal heatsink itself (not a great idea in retrospect :p), but it felt only slightly warmer than idle.

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Ah I see, thanks for the insight, I'll just stick to one at a time now. I have a sneaking suspicion that HWmonitor might be particularly buggy. Even just running it by itself, the CPU would be listed going up to 105C, but I felt the air being moved around the heatsink as well as the metal heatsink itself (not a great idea in retrospect :p), but it felt only slightly warmer than idle.
Haha make sense. Yeah I'm not sure which program is the most reliable. I accidentally touched my GPU heatsink after a gaming session once. Never again :p

eggDK

Average Stuffer
Mar 14, 2016
If the heatsink isn't warm but the chip is, that could mean bad contact between them.. The cpu can't get rid of the heat, thus the heatsink doesn't get warm. Just a thought. Btw I'm loving the quality look of this build:thumb::)

ErickM425

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 22, 2017
Hi, im new to the forums, this couple month i start playing with sketchup and came out with this same layout but you nailed it. You did an awesome work, love those 3D printed attachment idea.

Playing with this layout for quite long time, i think it would improve a lot the airflow of this layout by adding exhaust hole on top of the case.

Now looking at your case seems like there's 2 intake hole for the CPU n GPU and no way for the hot air out, the hole above the motherboard IO will kinda help for the CPU side hot air but the GPU side there's nothing, only the PSU sucking the hot air out and this can let the PSU hotter which will increase RPM of the fan of the PSU and the noise.

I think adding hole on the top panels or maybe couple slim fan can help too. And you can add intake hole in front of the PSU (bottom panels) for better cooling for it and maybe can lower the noise level.

Sorry for my bad English if there is error, i don't talk or write English.

Reactions: Colinreay