Monolith - 8L Micro-ATX Case

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
You've got this, no worries. Good job so far! One of the coolest cases I've seen in quite some time.

Boogle

Chassis Packer
Dec 11, 2016
Hi Colin, as best as I can tell I've converted the designs to work in 5mm sheets.

At this time I'm just trying to decide if I want to cut the Monolith as is, or convert the design to an ITX form factor. Making it more similar in shape and volume to the Dan A4 case. Obviously that's quite a lot of adjustments so I'm not sure if I will attempt it. But if I do I will name it the Mini Monolith!

Colinreay

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Aug 28, 2016
Hi Colin, as best as I can tell I've converted the designs to work in 5mm sheets.

At this time I'm just trying to decide if I want to cut the Monolith as is, or convert the design to an ITX form factor. Making it more similar in shape and volume to the Dan A4 case. Obviously that's quite a lot of adjustments so I'm not sure if I will attempt it. But if I do I will name it the Mini Monolith!

Ooh, that's quite a good idea! However, I think this would work best with Micro-ATX, just because of the way the GPU/PSU chamber of the case is laid out. As it stands, mounting the GPU directly over the Flex-ATX PSU takes up about as much room (height) as a Micro-ATX board.

Reactions: Boogle

Boogle

Chassis Packer
Dec 11, 2016
Hi Colin, it's been a while but I've finally gotten around to laser cutting my design. It's a mini ITX form factor based on your design. You can see the similarities. I've not yet printed the other side panel, when I do I will also make a few small improvements to the back panel.

Thank you for inspiring me to make this Colin, hope you are able to see this message!

Nocturnize

Caliper Novice
Feb 11, 2017
twitter.com
Hi Colin, it's been a while but I've finally gotten around to laser cutting my design. It's a mini ITX form factor based on your design. You can see the similarities. I've not yet printed the other side panel, when I do I will also make a few small improvements to the back panel.

Thank you for inspiring me to make this Colin, hope you are able to see this message!

I don't think he or anyone will be able to see your picture - the image seems to be set to private on Dropbox or something, as Dropbox reported a 403 (Forbidden) error when trying to access the image's url. Try using another free image hostive service such as imgur.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Colinreay

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Aug 28, 2016

Woah, that is amazing! I can't explain how honored I am that you took inspiration from what I did, and I'm sure it will look amazing now that you've put your own twist on it! Unfortunately, like @Nocturnize said, I am unable to look at the pictures, but would certainly love to see what it looks like!

Boogle

Chassis Packer
Dec 11, 2016
Here is the image:

Presently I'm working on making the GPU more secure and I'm going to add some additional screws half way along the bottom edge of the side panels to improve support of the bottom panel when all the components are installed.

The power switch is mounted under my desk and connects via a long cable through the back of the case.

My motherboard has LEDs which look pretty awesome when the unit powers on. :)

Also a shoutout to Parvum who gave me 4 extra mod cubes for free!

Colinreay

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Aug 28, 2016
Here is the image:

Presently I'm working on making the GPU more secure and I'm going to add some additional screws half way along the bottom edge of the side panels to improve support of the bottom panel when all the components are installed.

The power switch is mounted under my desk and connects via a long cable through the back of the case.

I love it! It looks truly amazing! Good job on mounting the gpu especially, having designed a few cases that never made it to fruition, I always struggled to come up with an elegant way to securely mount the GPU using thick acrylic.

Boogle

Chassis Packer
Dec 11, 2016
Thank you so much Colin.

What I'm using at the moment is using an off cut of acrylic with a screw and nut to clamp the bottom of the bracket tightly. The top is screwed in too but I had to modify the metal bracket because of the thickness of the acrylic. I still find that the card can sway back and forward though so I will likely cut a U shaped bracket to hold the far end of the card from moving backwards onto the PSU.

I hope to show you some more pics when everything is cleanly presented.

Nocturnize

Caliper Novice
Feb 11, 2017
twitter.com
Here is the image:

That is beyond beautiful. I am speechless - more than anything, I am in love. Stellar job! Please keep it up!

Reactions: Boogle

Colinreay

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Aug 28, 2016
THIS PROJECT LIVES!

Just wanted to post as I have resumed work on Monolith. It is nearing completion and I cannot wait to finish this and move on to a new exciting project.

Here's a quick photo of what I have been working on this morning :).

Colinreay

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Aug 28, 2016
That sure is pretty :) What do you have left to complete with it?

Thanks! I'm making the custom cables now for it, but it is proving to be quite a challenge - tons of double wires and really tight tolerances make it a pretty time consuming process. That said, hopefully I'll be done soon, and can take some great photos to end the project!

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Thanks! I'm making the custom cables now for it, but it is proving to be quite a challenge - tons of double wires and really tight tolerances make it a pretty time consuming process. That said, hopefully I'll be done soon, and can take some great photos to end the project!
Oh, sleeving too? Can't wait to see how it looks in the end :)