• Total voters

AlexTzone

I design minimalistic – but not boring – PC stuff
Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
In your opinion, should we open a “store” on our website with GPUs/CPUs/MBOs/PSUs/etc that are compatible with MJOLNIR I?

It would help us fund our projects without Kickstarter, or at least function as a backup-funding-plan.

We’ll probably offer discounts on MJOLNIR I If you buy gear at our store.

Reactions: AleksandarK

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
In your opinion, should we open a “store” on our website with GPUs/CPUs/MBOs/PSUs/etc that are compatible with MJOLNIR I?

It would help us fund our projects without Kickstarter, or at least function as a backup-funding-plan.

We’ll probably offer discounts on MJOLNIR I If you buy gear at our store.
Might be good to offer some kind of bundle, yeah. Or a full build + validation at a premium.

blubblob

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 26, 2016
How would selling individual components (that are not unique to you because you developed them) help you fund anything? You would have to build up stock (which obviously binds available money instead of generating it), with the numbers you'll be selling you are unlikely to get wholesale prices from manufacturers and Europe is generally in a pretty expensive price bracket hardware wise. So the margins will be minimal and you'll unlikely be able to compete with the big online pc-hardware shops.

Offering to prebuild systems with select components could work, but in that case the margin would have to come from the labour, and labour costs aren't exactly cheap in Europe either. Plus, at the point where you can offer prebuilds, the tooling and production costs are likely already due as you won't be paying the manufacturer on a "case by case" basis.

Reactions: Biowarejak

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
How would selling individual components (that are not unique to you because you developed them) help you fund anything? You would have to build up stock (which obviously binds available money instead of generating it), with the numbers you'll be selling you are unlikely to get wholesale prices from manufacturers and Europe is generally in a pretty expensive price bracket hardware wise. So the margins will be minimal and you'll unlikely be able to compete with the big online pc-hardware shops.

Offering to prebuild systems with select components could work, but in that case the margin would have to come from the labour, and labour costs aren't exactly cheap in Europe either. Plus, at the point where you can offer prebuilds, the tooling and production costs are likely already due as you won't be paying the manufacturer on a "case by case" basis.

STOCK. We would probably be looking at some kind of Just-in-time system (used a lot in Japan). If it's possible to create an efficient system (based on predicted sales from sample sales, delivery deviations from suppliers, reorder points etc.) we move forward to the next step. Our team can work out the math with statistical software.

MARGINS. We don't know until we ask manufacturers (conclusions can't be made beforehand). We have around 10k followers on Instagram with ~7% engagement rate, coupled with future discounts on our own future products and fan-base-support-will this may create some incentive over big online shops to buy from us.

The main reason why we would be considering this is because we want to get a more controlled funding alternative to Kickstarter. Also, we don’t want to sell of parts of the company to investors in the early beginning. I’m not saying that the webshop will be a gold mine or anything, but it might just help a bit on the way if we’re lucky :)

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Might be good to offer some kind of bundle, yeah. Or a full build + validation at a premium.

Biowarejak, this might be hard due to reasons explained by blubbob (assembly labor might totally erase the profit margins). Our best bet is probably selling individual components if this webshop comes to life.

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Hello friends!

We're back with another update on MJOLNIR I, this time it's regarding the internal frame. Important to note: this is not the final design of the internal frame as we're currently doing tolerance adjustments to all components of MJOLNIR I.

As always, let me know if you have any questions!

Best,
Alexander

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
How will ventilation happen with the glass covers on?
Through the front ventilation mesh. This mode is recommended for less intensive workloads. Though we are currently working on some discrete ventilation options to make it better (we want to be careful not to ruin the simplistic design).

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Hello Necere

It’s still a work in progress and we’re exploring discrete ventilation solutions. Right now our recommendations are:
  • For gaming / intensive tasks: use without aluminium covers
  • For less intensive tasks: doesn’t matter
Our goal is to preserve simplistic design, but if we find a nice solution…then why not :)

MrBreakfst

Caliper Novice
Jul 27, 2016
I don't know how set you are in your decision to use tempered glass, but a fine mesh grille rather than tempered glass would be more functional, and i would prefer the look

Reactions: Yuhuo

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
I don't know how set you are in your decision to use tempered glass, but a fine mesh grille rather than tempered glass would be more functional, and i would prefer the look
Great idea, we'll have to do a community vote on Instagram and see which one people prefer! Thanks a lot sharing this idea with us :)

Tim

Cable Smoosher
Nov 27, 2017
I agree with MrBreakfst . The decision to use tempered glass for ssff case is not functional is more for atx case with watercooling systems , RGB . You can make some grille for front similar to your design case or take some ideas from HP :
Hp Omen External GPU - look front grill design for airflow also the back side of panel is very nice and clean, HP Z2 Mini , HP Elite Slice .
If you decide to make window panel make it more functional ( fan speed and temperatures CPU/GPU make it from transparent LCD display) look Paul Tan six years before he made very nice project call Reventon PC ( here is some youtube link ) and here is some Antec Cube Razer Edition from GGF Events internal screen from ebay , it need only to make software look from 4:56 And the last one is iBuypower's Snowblind case ( here is official webpage https://www.ibuypower.com/Signature/Snowblind ).
For 299 USD you must put more technology not just ssff with aluminum/windows panels, its not hard to make all this in reality if you decide make something unique this is some ideas which is nice looking for me.

Reactions: AlexTzone

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Aside from the comments of how it's obviously missing a lot of vents, GPU compatibility could be better, etc.

I've read through the comments on subreddit. It seems that you're very steadfast on selling this case as something with great "aesthetics and quality." Yet a lot of the people are questioning how your product is different than DAN A4 SFX. Rather than calling the forum as dismissive and aggressive, perhaps it should be humbling to take an objective look at the question. What are you offering that is genuinely different? RGB? Better looks? Is that all?

It shouldn't take a lot of masters degree to figure that you have an issue at hand.

What message are you providing to your audience and how do you differ?

The market is heating up, DAN C4 SFX, DAN A4 SFX, and GHOST S1 are covering all the hardware points. Both those case have much more airflow, and functional designs, and DAN would know best the limitation of his design and the thermal issues he has encountered which he will rectify with the watercooled version.

Reactions: owliwar

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Aside from the comments of how it's obviously missing a lot of vents, GPU compatibility could be better, etc.

I've read through the comments on subreddit. It seems that you're very steadfast on selling this case as something with great "aesthetics and quality." Yet a lot of the people are questioning how your product is different than DAN A4 SFX. Rather than calling the forum as dismissive and aggressive, perhaps it should be humbling to take an objective look at the question. What are you offering that is genuinely different? RGB? Better looks? Is that all?

It shouldn't take a lot of masters degree to figure that you have an issue at hand.

What message are you providing to your audience and how do you differ?

The market is heating up, DAN C4 SFX, DAN A4 SFX, and GHOST S1 are covering all the hardware points. Both those case have much more airflow, and functional designs, and DAN would know best the limitation of his design and the thermal issues he has encountered which he will rectify with the watercooled version.

It's not always about creating something world-changing and ultra-innovative. We are humble and simply aim to create a case that has a very unique unibody enclosure design, premium materials and outstanding quality. What I mean with humble is that we want to take one step at a time and make sure the steps we take are as good as they can possibly be. By all means DAN A4 SFX and GHOST S1 are great cases, but some people can't resist the design of MJOLNIR I.

We want MJOLNIR I to
  • Look amazing
  • Be one of the smallest cases
  • Support most full-sized GPUs
  • Have support for 50mm CPU cooler
  • Have good air flow
We are NOT aiming for:
  • Support ALL full-sized GPUs
  • Support the largest CPU cooler out of all SFF Cases
  • Have amazing air flow
Because that would compromise our design, which we feel is what we do best. As stated many times today, we are working on discrete air flow revisions that don't compromise our design.

I think that if MJOLNIR I doesn't immediately strike you as something special at first glance, it's probably not for you. To us and many others it's a beauty, and I hope there are enough of us to make this project a reality.

Last edited:
Reactions: ottrr

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
It's not always about creating something world-changing and ultra-innovative. We are humble and simply aim to create a case that has a very unique unibody enclosure design, premium materials and outstanding quality. What I mean with humble is that we want to take one step at a time and make sure the steps we take are as good as they can possibly be. By all means DAN A4 SFX and GHOST S1 are great cases, but some people can't resist the design of MJOLNIR I.

We want MJOLNIR I to
  • Look amazing
  • Support most full-sized GPUs
  • Have support for 50mm CPU cooler
  • Have good air flow
We are NOT aiming for:
  • Support ALL full-sized GPUs
  • Support the largest CPU cooler out of all SFF Cases
  • Have amazing air flow
Because that would compromise our design, which we feel is what we do best. As stated many times today, we are working on discrete air flow revisions that don't compromise our design.

I think that if MJOLNIR I doesn't immediately strike you as something special at first glance, it's probably not for you. To us and many others it's a beauty, and I hope there are enough of us to make this project a reality.

It is an interesting design that looks good but I hate to be the one to say I told you so.

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
It is an interesting design that looks good but I hate to be the one to say I told you so.

Yes it's risky, but we're doing our best to spread the word and find our niche people. By the time MJOLNIR I hits Kickstarter we should be well into the 20k+ followers across social media and have thousands of email subcribers (based on pacing from June 2017 till now), and hopefully then the campaign will be successful. If not, no hard feelings...we'll be happy that we stayed true to intentions until the very end (i.e. making a design-focused case).

Now, we are of course willing to implement changes. Like if someone says "move GPU down 1 cm" or something, we'll definitely consider it. But on Reddit the responses today we're basically "PUT IN A 200mm CPU COOLER, now" which is unrealistic to take seriously when the case has a limit of 50mm.

I remember the first time I saw DAN A4 SFX, I fell in love with the design straight away and cared very little about the 50mm CPU cooler limit. For me personally, DANs design was worth the compromise. I can't be alone in this (obviously not because DAN sold like cupcakes).

Last edited:
Reactions: ottrr

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Yes it's risky, but we're doing our best to spread the word and find our niche people. By the time MJOLNIR I hits Kickstarter we should be well into the 20k+ followers across social media and have thousands of email subcribers (based on pacing from June 2017 till now), and hopefully then the campaign will be successful. If not, no hard feelings...we'll be happy that we stayed true to intentions until the very end (i.e. making a design-focused case).

Now, we are of course willing to implement changes. Like if someone says "move GPU down 1 cm" or something, we'll definitely consider it. But on Reddit the responses today we're basically "PUT IN A 200mm CPU COOLER, now" which is unrealistic to take seriously when the case has a limit of 50mm.

I remember the first time I saw DAN A4 SFX, I fell in love with the design straight away and cared very little about the 50mm CPU cooler limit. For me personally, DANs design was worth the compromise. I can't be alone in this (obviously not because DAN sold like cupcakes).

Cases are not made in a vacuum. They are made to hold components... Heat generating components.

When you say premium case, people are going to want to put in well... Premium components. Generally speaking, premium components usually produce more heat.

The 50mm cooler limit is particularly important. It greatly limits how powerful your CPU is. If people spend $300 on case, they're probably going to spend $300 on an 8600k. This means it needs to be cooled effectively.

Again, you have to consider that your case is not made in a vacuum. Why would you limit yourself to only two easily available cooler that can be barely cool a hexacore chip. There's a reason why Ghost S1 is at 66mm CPU cooler support.

Your case is already at 8L in size. Yet the similar sized S1 offers support for water cooling and a much better air cooling support. It can fit a Big Shuriken 2, Samuel 17, and NH-L12.

DAN wanted the smallest case he can get away with. His design language was the result of a functional design... How small can you get a case to be while still fitting standard sized components?

What is your design language and goals?

I mentioned that your message that you are getting across was particularly important. The way you approach it was that we are different because our looks better. Your approach was purely superficial.

If anything it was quite insulting. Our lovely cases hold our components. Our components are a reflection of the build just as the case.

From that vibe, from that approach, what kind of feedback are you going to get? It's obvious from your language and your mock up you don't really actually care.

People pick up on subtle clues a lot. It's quite alarming how easily you brushed off multiple warnings about your thermals, even from Necere who you should most listen to (no one wants sucky thermal at a prototype phase, that should be theorize and accounted for before you drop money and on time on it). No one is going to want to put an i4 in a $300 case. They're enthusiasts. They want to put a 8700k.

Your competitors are listening. They are asking, what do you want? What kind of PC do you want to build? Let us make your dream build and ideals possible. Look at the C4 and S1, both direct are direct descendants of prior experiences of the Dan A4 SFX.

What message are you giving your audience? That you are prettier? Get real. If you're selling a more mass market case then yeah, you can do that.

Your message is lacking. It needs clear and focused guidance in a way that makes feedback inviting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saudsvartur

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I mean, I'm not opposed to new construction techniques and stuff, and it does look great, but the hardware limitations are pretty disappointing from a consumer standpoint.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
  • CPU Cooler max-size
    • 50 mm (H) (from bottom of mounting feet to top of cooler)

FYI no one measures cooler height like this. You measure from the base of the cooler, not from the mounting feet. The base of the cooler sits on top of the CPU, which for LGA115X is about 8mm above the surface of the motherboard (where the feet sit). That means the cooler compatibility of your case is only 42mm.