• Total voters

AlexTzone

I design minimalistic – but not boring – PC stuff
Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
That rad looks slick. I ordered two just in case, I have use for them if not on this build, so nothing wasted.
But I will still appreciate the input on the measures with that alphacool block. what is worring me a bit are the fittings, I'm assuming that I will be able to place the lateral rad bellow them ( if it even fits ).

That block should just barely fit, without a millimeter to spare in height 😅 I would suggest ordering it closer to when the case ships just in case it’s a tiny bit to tall.

L91

Average Stuffer
Dec 21, 2021
www.youtube.com
If you use a 20mm thick rad than you can use a 120x25mm fan on side and a slim 120mm fan on the other. The same is true of 27mm thick radiators. However, if you want to use 2 120x25 fans then 17mm rad from Hanjiang is the way to go.
So you mean for 2x 25mm fans, a 20mm rad is too thick

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
So you mean for 2x 25mm fans, a 20mm rad is too thick

Yes, so in summary:

27mm rad: 120x25 + 120x15
17mm rad: 2 x 120x25

Anything in between 27mm rad and 17mm rad is: 120x25 + 120x15

turboleak

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 8, 2019
That block should just barely fit, without a millimeter to spare in height 😅 I would suggest ordering it closer to when the case ships just in case it’s a tiny bit to tall.

I already have it with me! when you say it just barely fits, what is the block almost hitting?

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
I already have it with me! when you say it just barely fits, what is the block almost hitting?

The internal top of the Shell, but if you are careful it looks like it will work. Show me a picture of the areas of the block where you are worried and I'll check.

Reactions: turboleak

turboleak

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 8, 2019
Oh, I'm not worried, I just wanted to know if using the block I would be able to fit a side radiator with fans. The thing with the block is that the fittings will make it taller, and that may be an issue if the rad is over the fittings. if the rad can be placed below the fittings there will be more space available for it and the fans.

I ordered two of those 17mm rads, and as I told you, I also have 12 and 15mm fans, so my question was, with that gpu block, is there any chance of having a side rad plus fans?
For what I understand from your replies the answer is that there is a chance it will have space.
Anyway, I have some coaxing tools at my disposal to make all parts conform to each other within several degrees of pain. :)

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Oh, I'm not worried, I just wanted to know if using the block I would be able to fit a side radiator with fans. The thing with the block is that the fittings will make it taller, and that may be an issue if the rad is over the fittings. if the rad can be placed below the fittings there will be more space available for it and the fans.

I ordered two of those 17mm rads, and as I told you, I also have 12 and 15mm fans, so my question was, with that gpu block, is there any chance of having a side rad plus fans?
For what I understand from your replies the answer is that there is a chance it will have space.
Anyway, I have some coaxing tools at my disposal to make all parts conform to each other within several degrees of pain. :)

I’m sorry, I’ve checked the block again and compared it to ours, the one you showed is 3mm taller than our (Alphacool Core Geforce RTX 4080 Reference Design mit Backplate). So there are 2 options:

1. NANOQ R fits it easily, or:

2. Using NANOQ S this is possible, but:
- You’ll have to slide the riser down 3mm (riser shift is part of the design)
- This will reduce space for the radiator and fans below, meaning you can’t fit 2 x 120x25mm fans, but one 120x25 and one 120 slim fan. Using a slim fan means you can use either the 20mm thick rad or the 17mm one, depends on whether or not you want to have some extra space.

Regarding side rad:
- That block will leave 28.63mm of space, so a bit too tight for a slim rad and fan.

Feels like an easier alternative is to get a thinner waterblock, more space for side rad etc.

turboleak

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 8, 2019
I’m sorry, I’ve checked the block again and compared it to ours, the one you showed is 3mm taller than our (Alphacool Core Geforce RTX 4080 Reference Design mit Backplate). So there are 2 options:

1. NANOQ R fits it easily, or:

2. Using NANOQ S this is possible, but:
- You’ll have to slide the riser down 3mm (riser shift is part of the design)
- This will reduce space for the radiator and fans below, meaning you can’t fit 2 x 120x25mm fans, but one 120x25 and one 120 slim fan. Using a slim fan means you can use either the 20mm thick rad or the 17mm one, depends on whether or not you want to have some extra space.

Regarding side rad:
- That block will leave 28.63mm of space, so a bit too tight for a slim rad and fan.

Feels like an easier alternative is to get a thinner waterblock, more space for side rad etc.

Thanks for the info!
Do you have a suggestion for a thinner GPU block for a 4090FE?

at the very best, a 17mm rad plus 12mm fan would be 29mm. I would need a bit more of space for the fans to be able to intake some air, so something like 31-32mm at least.

edit:
this one is 25mm! seems the slimest one so that I found out, with the added benefit that the ports are opened to both sides.

edit2:
this one also seems thin but not sure if lower than 25mm when factoring in the gpu mb.

what do you think? I'm more inclined to the for the corsair one and caseking has it in stock and it's the same shop where I got the alphacool block, so I think I can return the alphacool and replace it for the corsair.

If possible, please check if the corsair fits :=) I kind of feel I am abusing my luck here!

Last edited:

turboleak

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 8, 2019
I've been trying to figure out of those two blocks the one that is the thinnest, and I think it's the bykski one. The zero measuring point is the pcb, because it's from it's surface that the available space starts to count. what is behind it is irrelevant as long as it is as pushed into the board as possible.
So ballpark measurements put the corsair at 20mm past the gpu pcb and the bykski is 17.
what do you think? the bykski does have the ports at the end and this may be an issue?

What of the two do you think is better for trying a side rad application?

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
I've been trying to figure out of those two blocks the one that is the thinnest, and I think it's the bykski one. The zero measuring point is the pcb, because it's from it's surface that the available space starts to count. what is behind it is irrelevant as long as it is as pushed into the board as possible.
So ballpark measurements put the corsair at 20mm past the gpu pcb and the bykski is 17.
what do you think? the bykski does have the ports at the end and this may be an issue?

What of the two do you think is better for trying a side rad application?

bykski looks like a solid choice, even better that the connectors are at the end. Corsair looks great as well, how tall is it though?

turboleak

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 8, 2019
no idea, they don't specify the "tall" dimension on their page.
The bykski does indeed look more tight!
I'll go for the bykski and return the alphacool.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Reactions: AlexTzone

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
no idea, they don't specify the "tall" dimension on their page.
The bykski does indeed look more tight!
I'll go for the bykski and return the alphacool.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Awesome, IMO this is the best choice if you want to have a side rad, the more space for it to breathe the better. Btw what type of tubing are you looking at? PERG/Hard or Soft?

turboleak

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 8, 2019
Already ordered the Bykski, should be here before Christmas. I'll send back the alphacool to Caseking tomorrow.

Regarding tubing I have 10/13, 10/16 and an amazing 6/13 soft tubing ( amazing because it bends well with minimal kinking ) plus a huge amount of different fittings. I also have 12mm Corsair XT hardline hard tube in matte black and transparent matt plus many fittings for this.
So I will use what works best, maybe some kind of hybrid setup. I was hoping to be able to make it so I can replace the cpu without tearing everything down but I haven't found a way yet in my mind of doing it. This would need soft tubing at least in the side rad and GPU to be able to move them out of the way. let's see what I come up with.

I had a side issue that I had to solve and I think I may have found a solution. The issue is, I hate to have to use software or dedicated hardware to run the fans but I was not seeing how to get away with it because of the GPU. The motherboard bios does not take GPU temp as an input and so I had no way to control rad fans based on GPU temp without using software.
But I think I found a solution that is quite amazing:
- using the two 4090FE fans on the side rad and connect them to the GPU, instead of using normal fans connected elsewhere. ( must use the 4090FE fans because they have a special connector ).
- This way, when the GPU is under load, those fans kick in ( when not under load they don't usually work ), and the bottom rad fans are controlled by the motherboard and when the CPU is under load those kick in. When both the CPU and GPU are under load, all fans work. I'm a genius ( I think! ).
🥰
- The extra nice thing about this is, the 4090FE fans are 12mm tall, and they sit on the fins of the rad, so they will even be placed lower than normal fans, like 2mm lower, so they are the equivalent in height to 10mm normal fans that do not exist. 🥰

I ordered two ( fan-b):

I will have to hack the flat cable to make it bigger but that's not an issue. It seems to be a 5 wire flat cable, I can cut it it the middle and solder an extension in between.

steelfractal

when in doubt slap a delta on it
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Aug 15, 2019
@AlexTzone have you seen the giant meatball Ikea uk made

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
@AlexTzone have you seen the giant meatball Ikea uk made

Things like this make me proud of being a Swede! 🤣

Reactions: rfarmer

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
@AlexTzone

Do you have the test batch for reviewers with you already?
I'm already salivating!

I will have them some time next week, then quickly check and send it to them. There were a few things we needed to get our heads around when it came to production (bottom radiator rails as well as the feet). I've said it before on other platforms, but this time the goal is to straighten out all kinks before pre-orders and not after, which feels much better...but we're also a bit slow out of the gate as you can see.

Anyways, I've calculate the shipping date regardless of when we will launch. The cases will ship in May. Here is the reasoning:
1. The factory is closed January 31:st to February 20:th.
2. Production takes 2.3 months.
3. Production begins February 21:st and ends April 30:th.
4. Shipping May 1:st onward.

While we could launch right after receiving and checking the units, it won't affect the shipping date and the guys over at youtube need a week or so to make and upload their reviews, so it's looking like January 15:th is the optimal date if we want to have the review up before launch.

turboleak

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 8, 2019
got it.
Checking Ryanair flights to Sweeden right now. No way I'm going to wait till May. I will just wait at your door and steal one of the small packages ( I'm assuming the NanoQ S box is smaller than the R ).