• Total voters

AlexTzone

I design minimalistic – but not boring – PC stuff
Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Anyone else with their tracking number have their package say its in: Chek Lap Kok Hong Kong? Mine has said this for the past 2 days and hasn't changed.

mine i sstuck at label created from yesterday. However for your case, when I ordered from Keychron it went from China -> HK and stayed there for at least 1-2 days before routing it self to North America. I have found that HK is a universal check point

Nothing to worry about guys, it can stay like this for almost a week (the longest I’ve seen). But more typical is 3-4 business days. In the meantime, a backer sent me some awesome build pics that I shared on Reddit:

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Also, about time I say that the reason the cases are flying are because of Denize. She’s pretty much handled the whole shipping mess by herself in the worst possible time for such a thing to be handled. She’s a champ, the Sam Porter of THOR ZONE!

Death Stranding Action GIF

Wiliker

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 12, 2021
Also, about time I say that the reason the cases are flying are because of Denize. She’s pretty much handled the whole shipping mess by herself in the worst possible time for such a thing to be handled. She’s a champ, the Sam Porter of THOR ZONE!

Awesome job Denize! Also Death Stranding is one of my favorite games!

beerbuddha

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 27, 2021

MVP Denize

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
New unboxing video, amazing B-roll at the end:

Between 2:27 - 2:29 the camera perfectly captures the expression change from being nervous to being relieved that things seem to look amazing. We certainly had the same look when unboxing the QC models 😂

God just look at that shot at 17:17 🤤

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

Between 2:27 - 2:29 the camera perfectly captures the expression change from being nervous to being relieved that things seem to look amazing. We certainly had the same look when unboxing the QC models 😂

Looks really good Alex, I hope this will be the rule rather than the exception. People who have issues with their case will always post about it more than people who receive perfect cases.

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Looks really good Alex, I hope this will be the rule rather than the exception. People who have issues with their case will always post about it more than people who receive perfect cases.

Thank you! I have no doubt, external scratches with factory-origin have only appeared once thus far and we’ve only gotten ~5 transit damage reports where somebody really mishandled the packaging during shipping (2 where it was pierced, 2 with notable indents, 1 where damage was caused because the panels dislodged in transit). That’s with 300+ cases delivered. Also, for all 5 of those we can easily swap their affected parts in the next batch.

For magnets and plastic corner brackets we’ve gotten about 10 reports, I guess it’s more in reality but majority just glue them back without reporting to us.

TheNiloJunior

Efficiency Noob
May 30, 2021

Wow @AlexTzone - thanks for posting! Yes - your take on 2:27-2:29 was EXACTLY that 😆! The chuckle is my immediate relief once I saw everything packed so neatly and how beautiful the finish was, even underneath the plastic. I do agree with @rfarmer on the sentiment that you will only generally hear from the smaller number that have issues than the majority of folks who are happy. I have to admit I did succomb to a bit of worry, especially with the anxiety of waiting for the case to come in, but am glad to report that Thor Zone delivered on an exceptional and beautifully crafted case.

There's a point in the video where the panels are swapped (15:15) and also where the chassis slides back into the case (16:03) - just wanted to note those solid, satisfying "clank" sounds as you fit various pieces together. Those pretty much sum up my overall impression with the case. The metal is milled perfectly, from the crisp but not sharp edges, flat surfaces don't have blemishes, panel gaps are very tight (dare I say nonexistent?), the finish coat is flawless, glass panels instead of acrylic, and goodness the whole shell of the case is so solid and sturdy! No flex or deflection anywhere on the case when pushing on various metal surfaces, just wow. If I had to point out negatives, I can only really comment on a bit of glue residue around magnets, which is a non-issue for me as you do not see these with panels on.

Excellent job, Thor Zone! I would definitely say it was worth the wait and the finished product in-hand validates your points in the past of prioritizing quality and issue resolution where it was necessary at the expense of time. Looking forward to post a full review and I can't wait to see what more you can develop for this case! Also, have been a lurker on SFF for awhile but am hoping to finally contribute now that I have my first sff case.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Wow @AlexTzone - thanks for posting! Yes - your take on 2:27-2:29 was EXACTLY that 😆! The chuckle is my immediate relief once I saw everything packed so neatly and how beautiful the finish was, even underneath the plastic. I do agree with @rfarmer on the sentiment that you will only generally hear from the smaller number that have issues than the majority of folks who are happy. I have to admit I did succomb to a bit of worry, especially with the anxiety of waiting for the case to come in, but am glad to report that Thor Zone delivered on an exceptional and beautifully crafted case.

There's a point in the video where the panels are swapped (15:15) and also where the chassis slides back into the case (16:03) - just wanted to note those solid, satisfying "clank" sounds as you fit various pieces together. Those pretty much sum up my overall impression with the case. The metal is milled perfectly, from the crisp but not sharp edges, flat surfaces don't have blemishes, panel gaps are very tight (dare I say nonexistent?), the finish coat is flawless, glass panels instead of acrylic, and goodness the whole shell of the case is so solid and sturdy! No flex or deflection anywhere on the case when pushing on various metal surfaces, just wow. If I had to point out negatives, I can only really comment on a bit of glue residue around magnets, which is a non-issue for me as you do not see these with panels on.

Excellent job, Thor Zone! I would definitely say it was worth the wait and the finished product in-hand validates your points in the past of prioritizing quality and issue resolution where it was necessary at the expense of time. Looking forward to post a full review and I can't wait to see what more you can develop for this case! Also, have been a lurker on SFF for awhile but am hoping to finally contribute now that I have my first sff case.
Glad you posted here, something I forget in my comment on your video. The sound when you installed the glass panel was excellent. Reminds me of sliding in the side panels of my Ghost.

Reactions: TheNiloJunior

Acen

Average Stuffer
Jun 8, 2020
Have you done a full air cooling test with the new performance panels ? I remember there was a significant advantage for the water cooling setup in terms of temps and noise against the air cooling with the old panels.

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Have you done a full air cooling test with the new performance panels ? I remember there was a significant advantage for the water cooling setup in terms of temps and noise against the air cooling with the old panels.

Depending on which CPU you use and what thermals you are trying to achieve going full air may not be practical regardless of the new performance panels, simply because the air coolers you can fit aren't comfortable with 100W+ TDP CPUs at full force (i.e. even without any panels). The idea behind the new panels was to improve GPU temps :)

Then again, before I became obsessed with AIOs, I used the L9i with a 107 W TDP CPU (w. turbo boost enabled) and while it didn't fare well at all in synthetic tests it was for the most part fine with pretty much everything else. Still, if you're after maxing out thermals, an AIO (or custom loop) is the way to go, it will gain you 35%-50% improvement. The first person to prove me wrong will get a pair of custom, anodized THOR ZONE chopsticks 🤤

Last edited:

Acen

Average Stuffer
Jun 8, 2020
Depending on which CPU you use and what thermals you are trying to achieve going full air may not be practical regardless of the new performance panels, simply because the air coolers you can fit aren't comfortable with 100W+ TDP CPUs at full force (i.e. even without any panels). The idea behind the new panels was to improve GPU temps :)

Then again, before I became obsessed with AIOs, I used the L9i with a 107 W TDP CPU (w. turbo boost enabled) and while it didn't fare well at all in synthetic tests it was for the most part fine with pretty much everything else. Still, if you're after maxing out thermals, an AIO (or custom loop) is the way to go, it will gain you 35%-50% improvement. The first person to prove me wrong will get a pair of custom, anodized THOR ZONE chopsticks 🤤
Thank you.

I guess with the Ryzen 5 5600X (65W), it would stay cool, and it would be better for GPU to be in air cooling !

Reactions: AlexTzone

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Thank you.

I guess with the Ryzen 5 5600X (65W), it would stay cool, and it would be better for GPU to be in air cooling !

Sounds very reasonable! :)

Have you tested if the 5600X stays around 65W at full load? I would guess yes since the 5900X seems to be around 115W at max.

The 107W CPU (i7 8700) I was talking about before was rated 65W, but it did anything but stay at that TDP if you didn’t disable turbo boost.

Acen

Average Stuffer
Jun 8, 2020
Sounds very reasonable! :)

Have you tested if the 5600X stays around 65W at full load? I would guess yes since the 5900X seems to be around 115W at max.

The 107W CPU (i7 8700) I was talking about before was rated 65W, but it did anything but stay at that TDP if you didn’t disable turbo boost.
I actually have the i7 8700 in my louqe with a NH-L12 (so without the big fan) with no bottom fans in the case and the results are amazing. Nearly silent and around 65 degres when gaming. Only the RTX 3070FE is really warm and noisy, undervolting it solves the thermals problem.

Now we need to find which air cooling is best for the Mjolnir !

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com

On a side note, Noctua clearly specifies on the product page that the NH-L9i is not compatible with the i7-8700 ("Cooler cannot handle base clock") 😊

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
On a side note, Noctua clearly specifies on the product page that the NH-L9i is not compatible with the i7-8700 ("Cooler cannot handle base clock") 😊

By base clock they mean without turbo-boost? Check out page 7 on our old thermals doc, works just fine as long as you don't use boost 👌

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
By base clock they mean without turbo-boost? Check out page 7 on our old thermals doc, works just fine as long as you don't use boost 👌
I guess the company also needs to assume that some people live in a hot climate. If the ambient temperature was 35-40 degrees, maybe even base clock load would be a struggle.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com

I don't mean anything, just quoting Noctua's site ;-). But from what I understand, Intel TDP is at base frequency with no turbo.

If I'm not mistaken, Noctua does not provide a CPU TDP limit anymore, but rather mention if the heatsink is suitable and if it provides headroom for OC.

CPU TDP is rather vague nowadays. Intel and AMD have different ways to mesure it .... And some motherboards even overload the factory max frequency / voltages, which results in even higher TDP.

For that reason, my 35W i9-10900T is cooled by a C7G that supports 125W CPU .... Because 35W is at base frequency ... And TDP with turbo is 120W lol