• RGB Version (No controller) - 319 USD

Votes: 63 9.7%
  • RGB Version (With controller) - 349 USD

Votes: 104 16.0%

• Total voters

runsamok

Average Stuffer
Jul 12, 2021
Anyone got the specs (or even better, a line on a replacement) for the internal power cord? It's ludicrously long when the PSU is in the flipped position & I don't really wanna wrangle the extra foot or so in what's turned out to be an exceedingly tight fitting case. I need a ~16" cable instead of whatever the heck is in there now.

Also having a hard time getting my slim fan mounted under the motherboard. The holes in the fan are too large for the screws included with the case & the holes in the core are too skinny to fit the screws included with my Noctua. Am I missing something obvious?

Last edited:

abdulla

Trash Compacter
Oct 11, 2019
Anyone got the specs (or even better, a line on a replacement) for the internal power cord? It's ludicrously long when the PSU is in the flipped position & I don't really wanna wrangle the extra foot or so in what's turned out to be an exceedingly tight fitting case. I need a ~16" cable instead of whatever the heck is in there now.

Also having a hard time getting my slim fan mounted under the motherboard. The holes in the fan are too large for the screws included with the case & the holes in the core are too skinny to fit the screws included with my Noctua. Am I missing something obvious?
Which Noctua fan do you have? I have the NF-A12x15 PWM fan and it works fine with the self-tapping screws included with the fan. I've attached the fan to the core, not the case

runsamok

Average Stuffer
Jul 12, 2021
Which Noctua fan do you have? I have the NF-A12x15 PWM fan and it works fine with the self-tapping screws included with the fan. I've attached the fan to the core, not the case

The same one. Turns out my Core has a bit of a "waist" to it as it looks a smidgen like )( from the top. Pushing on the Core rails as I got the two screws in closer to the middle stopped the horrible binding when I tried to get the self-tapping ones in. Crisis averted!

Now to get rid of the extra foot of power cable...

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
@AlexTzone so what's the official update for RoW and next batches? Last I heard was "shipping in August".. Thanks

From Alex on Kickstarter Yesterday

[...] absolutely understand the frustration! Working on fixing these 3% 24/7 right now and really hope to have a clear solution this week. A new update will be up hopefully this week as well where we can prove to the remaning backers that we've definitely NOT forgotten about them. Terribly sorry for these delays of course but we have a good feeling about this despite the delays. We'll stop at nothing until you guys get your cases and we'll do everything to make it fast now!

In short, we'll send the cases over to a third party who already has tried and established routes with express couriers. It shouldn't cause delays since they are located close to the factory; then UPS/FEDEX or DHL will simply pick up the cases from them and ship directly to you guys.

Reactions: RE4MATT3D

AlexTzone

I design minimalistic – but not boring – PC stuff
Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Hi guys, we are arranging for all the remaining cases from KS and B1 to be shipped this week (concluding all shipments by next week at the latest). Tomorrow we'll send 5 units to test this new express method and if all works well we'll send the remaning 26 right after.

RE4MATT3D

Average Stuffer
Jan 11, 2021
@AlexTzone I believe you guys are working on a solution to prevent the glass rattling/breaking issue. Would it be accurate to assume that's where Batch 2 is currently at?

Also, I saw a previous comment about the Gen4 riser cables being available to order on the September 2021 preorder. What's the planned timeline for that preorder (since we're halfway through September already)?

Guess I'm trying to see if the Gen4 riser will ship WITH my case from Batch 2, or if the cases will ship before the riser cables are available.

runsamok

Average Stuffer
Jul 12, 2021
I figured we'd likely see the preorders go out the last half of the last week of September & whatever they give for their fulfilment timelines at that time add 50% for up front delays & another 50% for delays during shipping.

At this point I'm getting really close to pulling the trigger on a Linkup cable & washing my hands of TZ entirely, versus waiting to save a few bucks but waste who-knows-how-much time on a cheaper cable that was supposed to come in the box in the first place.

Reactions: RE4MATT3D

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
I figured we'd likely see the preorders go out the last half of the last week of September & whatever they give for their fulfilment timelines at that time add 50% for up front delays & another 50% for delays during shipping.

At this point I'm getting really close to pulling the trigger on a Linkup cable & washing my hands of TZ entirely, versus waiting to save a few bucks but waste who-knows-how-much time on a cheaper cable that was supposed to come in the box in the first place.

Priority now I shipping to RoW as well as Batch 2/3. As many people here have already done - you can set the BIOS on your motherboard to Gen3 (from Auto) which will enable you to run Gen4 mobo / GPU at no performance loss. I have a Strix 570 and an RTX 3080, worked without any problems. I don't recall anybody having to get an old GPU to change the BIOS, even if you get a black screen/no video in the beginning (like I did). If a gen4 cable is crucial for you and you need it urgently then I don't suggest waiting for our launch.

Btw, maybe someone can explain this phenomena and how to replicate it:
- Our gen3 cable + Strix X570-I & RTX 3090 Turbo = Got video signal from the start
- That same gen3 cable + Strix X570-I & RTX 3080 XC3 = No video signal at first, then a couple of minutes later the PC booted to BIOS and I could change the PCIe slot from Auto to Gen3. It would be ideal to skip the whole "no video signal" phase and go straight into BIOS, do you guys have any ideas?

Last edited:
Reactions: N9neBreak3r

runsamok

Average Stuffer
Jul 12, 2021
Priority now I shipping to RoW as well as Batch 2/3. As many people here have already done - you can set the BIOS on your motherboard to Gen3 (from Auto) which will enable you to run Gen4 mobo / GPU at no performance loss.

I've done this. But I've also had to update my bios, which necessitated doing all of it over again. Given how terrible the Mjolnir is to work on, I would prefer not having to open it up any more than I have to.

I have a Strix 570 and an RTX 3080, worked without any problems. I don't recall anybody having to get an old GPU to change the BIOS, even if you get a black screen/no video in the beginning (like I did). If a gen4 cable is crucial for you and you need it urgently then I don't suggest waiting for our launch.

The choice is either take the whole motherboard off of the shitty, bendy, poorly constructed spine to get at the PCIE, or I can use an old GPU. Either way it's a goddamn nightmare (like this entire project has been from day 1).

Btw, maybe someone can explain this phenomena and how to replicate it:
- Our gen3 cable + Strix X570-I & RTX 3090 Turbo = Got video signal from the start
- That same gen3 cable + Strix X570-I & RTX 3080 XC3 = No video signal at first, then a couple of minutes later the PC booted to BIOS and I could change the PCIe slot from Auto to Gen3. It would be ideal to skip the whole "no video signal" phase and go straight into BIOS, do you guys have any ideas?

This isn't about me or my system, Alex, this is about Thor Zone's ongoing failures as a company & as the spokesperson for the company.

This is about Thor Zone never being able to deliver fully on any of their promises, timelines or word in general. My case arrived a year late, missing features/items promised, with colour inconsistencies & rattling chipped glass panels. Communication has been terrible from the outset & appears to be getting worse as time has gone on. Furthermore rather than stopping to address the obvious & inherent issues with the Kickstarter/1st Batch cases you've just soldiered on & are cranking out more of the same flawed product.

Any issues brought up are somehow the fault of the factory, or the shipping companies, or the tooth fairy, or whomever else you can try and slide blame onto, despite the root cause of all of the failures being your own, compounded by your endless hubris.

Thor Zone is Scandinavian design outside, Eastern European engineering on the inside & the customer service of a Russian scammer. While my Mjolnir looks nice on my desk (from a distance, so you don't see the colour problems), I wouldn't reccommend it or any of your future products to anyone, anywhere.

RE4MATT3D

Average Stuffer
Jan 11, 2021
Priority now I shipping to RoW as well as Batch 2/3. As many people here have already done - you can set the BIOS on your motherboard to Gen3 (from Auto) which will enable you to run Gen4 mobo / GPU at no performance loss. I have a Strix 570 and an RTX 3080, worked without any problems. I don't recall anybody having to get an old GPU to change the BIOS, even if you get a black screen/no video in the beginning (like I did). If a gen4 cable is crucial for you and you need it urgently then I don't suggest waiting for our launch.

I don't think the gen 4 cable is critical, but we're trying to understand the timelines as you advertised them.

Last update was that Batch 2 (Nov 2020 and Mar 2021 preorders) would be shipping by end of August.. it's September 18th and there's been no shipping confirmation. You also said the Gen 4 cable would be available in the September 2021 preorder, again, it's September 18, and while you technically still have 2 weeks left to keep your word on this, I'm doubtful we'll see the preorder OR the Gen 4 riser before October.

I understand things come up and timelines change. I remain patient because I truly believe the end product will be worth it (that and I don't have a choice). But updates shouldn't be something we have to beat out of you.

Unfortunately, I feel you are at a crossroads and need to take a look at your business model. Do you plan to run "preorders" for the rest of your life? Is this forum your end goal for customer communication?

I don't presume to know how you're running your business, but it sounds like you are wearing all the hats and are overwhelmed. Too many late updates start with "Sorry guys, I've been busy dealing with X", maybe someone needs to step up as a Public Relation person and let you handle the behind the scenes problems, or vice versa.

Runsamok already responded as I was drafting this response, and while I'm not to his point of frustration and I think his words may be a bit harsh, I think he's saying what a lot of people are feeling. I don't want to wait any longer for my case, but I don't want a flawed product either. But whatever do decide to do, make sure you communicate it appropriately.

P.S. BTW, you're still advertising Tempered Glass and "Next Gen" riser cable on your website.. might be worth updating those.

nik3563

Cable Smoosher
Jul 24, 2021
When I preordered my case in May, I did not expect to get it in August but maybe in December. So the shipping delay does not disappoint me yet.

With other companies, you don't get any communication. That's why I think Alex does ok in this regard. Sure he could do better.

I did not order the glass panels, so I don't care for those glass issues.

When I preorderd, I knew, that I would get the Gen 3 riser. Sure I would have prefered the Gen 4 cable and in my opinion the Gen 3 is outdated today and should not be included in a premium case. But all in all I am ok with the Gen 3 riser cable. I wont pay a fortune for a fancy GPU anyways.

Regarding the color missmachtes I am a little concerned. But to be honest I can't judge on this issue yet, because I need to see the case in person before I state my opinion on that.

I really don't care how Alex runs his buisness. I care for the product.

I would not recommend to preorder stuff from a start up company, if you can't deal some hickup. For me there is a good chance, that I will like the product.

Reactions: Kapsi and RE4MATT3D

N9neBreak3r

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 17, 2020
What is the best method for cleaning the outside shell of Mjolnir? Is alcohol bad to use on anodized aluminum? Can I use alcohol lens/screen wipes to clean the outside shell of Mjolnir safely?

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
I've done this. But I've also had to update my bios, which necessitated doing all of it over again. Given how terrible the Mjolnir is to work on, I would prefer not having to open it up any more than I have to.

The choice is either take the whole motherboard off of the shitty, bendy, poorly constructed spine to get at the PCIE, or I can use an old GPU. Either way it's a goddamn nightmare (like this entire project has been from day 1).

This isn't about me or my system, Alex, this is about Thor Zone's ongoing failures as a company & as the spokesperson for the company.

This is about Thor Zone never being able to deliver fully on any of their promises, timelines or word in general. My case arrived a year late, missing features/items promised, with colour inconsistencies & rattling chipped glass panels. Communication has been terrible from the outset & appears to be getting worse as time has gone on. Furthermore rather than stopping to address the obvious & inherent issues with the Kickstarter/1st Batch cases you've just soldiered on & are cranking out more of the same flawed product.

Any issues brought up are somehow the fault of the factory, or the shipping companies, or the tooth fairy, or whomever else you can try and slide blame onto, despite the root cause of all of the failures being your own, compounded by your endless hubris.

Thor Zone is Scandinavian design outside, Eastern European engineering on the inside & the customer service of a Russian scammer. While my Mjolnir looks nice on my desk (from a distance, so you don't see the colour problems), I wouldn't reccommend it or any of your future products to anyone, anywhere.

On your Instagram you say it looks sweet but now there are apparently color problems. Your comment from Kickstarter after receiving the case:

“Anodization looks decent/above-average & no colour mismatches that I can see. Hooray!”

You have no appreciation for how hard it is to make a product such as this for a company of our size under the circumstances we’ve had to operate. I’m proud of what we have made and hundreds of backers have reached out to us to share their appreciation.

I don’t know which cases you have built in before or if this is your first SFF chassis below 10L - but your critique of how terrible it is to build in is the polar opposite to the vast majority of feedback we’ve gotten on here.

Quite frankly, pretty much every time you say something about us it’s that “we suck at this” or “failure that” and I’m really not interested in selling you any products in the future either, it will probably lengthen my lifespan. I remember you commenting on the KS page that you would sell your MJOLNIR the instant you got it, I kind of hoped you would’ve done that as it would at least go to someone who can appreciate the effort that went into it.

That's some salty feedback. Ohh dear.

I still hope, that I will like my case :).

When I preordered my case in May, I did not expect to get it in August but maybe in December. So the shipping delay does not disappoint me yet.

With other companies, you don't get any communication. That's why I think Alex does ok in this regard. Sure he could do better.

I did not order the glass panels, so I don't care for those glass issues.

When I preorderd, I knew, that I would get the Gen 3 riser. Sure I would have prefered the Gen 4 cable and in my opinion the Gen 3 is outdated today and should not be included in a premium case. But all in all I am ok with the Gen 3 riser cable. I wont pay a fortune for a fancy GPU anyways.

Regarding the color missmachtes I am a little concerned. But to be honest I can't judge on this issue yet, because I need to see the case in person before I state my opinion on that.

I really don't care how Alex runs his buisness. I care for the product.

I would not recommend to preorder stuff from a start up company, if you can't deal some hickup. For me there is a good chance, that I will like the product.

I’ve never heard of any color problems unless it’s a defective case (which is very very rare and we’ll of course fix that if it happens to you). The overwhelming majority of the feedback we’ve gotten is that the finish and colors are more or less up there with Apple (if you don’t look under the microscope ofc, because nobody beat Apple in this field

Well at least you got a case…

I’m an EU backer (#164) from the original Kickstarter campaign back in November 2019 and nearly TWO YEARS LATER I haven’t received anything…

Started shipping them now, the 5 test shipments are on their way and by the looks of it things are progressing the same way as when we use UPS. The remaining 26 cases will be shipped out as soon as the test reach their destinations (5-7 business days). There’s a holiday in China until 21:st September, I’m unsure if this will affect express courier flight but it’s a possibility — so to be on the safe side 5-7 days after September 21:st you should be getting your tracking.

Last edited:

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
What is the best method for cleaning the outside shell of Mjolnir? Is alcohol bad to use on anodized aluminum? Can I use alcohol lens/screen wipes to clean the outside shell of Mjolnir safely?

I usually use a dishwasher / water mix, same as for reading glasses. Rubbing alcohol will not hurt the anodizing :)

runsamok

Average Stuffer
Jul 12, 2021
On your Instagram you say it looks sweet but now there are apparently color problems. Your comment from Kickstarter after receiving the case:

“Anodization looks decent/above-average & no colour mismatches that I can see. Hooray!”
Yeah, I spoke too soon. Once in natural light it's apparent that the dust panels & glass frames aren't the same shade. I'm only using one dust panel & none of the rattling, chipped, not-what-was-advertised glass panels (especially the one with your Pippi Longstocking logo) & that's on the bottom so it's not a huge deal, but they don't match. At all. The anodization itself is fine, about the level of my keyboard's case. It's not up there with the best I've seen from the custom keyboard community & nowhere near Apple once you actually touch it. It's decent to above average, as I said & as you've quoted.

You have no appreciation for how hard it is to make a product such as this for a company of our size under the circumstances we’ve had to operate. I’m proud of what we have made and hundreds of backers have reached out to us to share their appreciation.
Actually I can. What I don't appreciate is the smug sense of entitlement & hubris that bleeds through every one of your communications. You're making a bougie PC case, not solving world hunger. You did the bare minimum to meet the requirements you set out on Kickstarter & that's only to those of us who've actually gotten their case. Some poor suckers' cases are sitting gathering dust in China as they have been since what, May?

I can appreciate COVID threw a logistical wrench into many things, but the things that are most off-putting regarding the case, the KS, the delivery & the ongoing support are all direct, deliberate choices made by TZ. To customers, it's irrelevant whether or not the issue is with you directly or with the factory or UPS or wherever. Those problems are your problems. You picked the factory. You signed off on the wrong glass. You reverted the change of the cables. You removed the stretch goals to save your profitability. You picked the three ring circus of logistics partners for shipping. You made some poor choices & communicated them even worse as time has marched on.
I don’t know which cases you have built in before or if this is your first SFF chassis below 10L - but your critique of how terrible it is to build in is the polar opposite to the vast majority of feedback we’ve gotten on here.

This is my fifth sub-15L PC in the last 5 years (and hardware-wise this is my simplest of the bunch). The machine I am typing this on is 13L & from 2012 before the proliferation off ready-made SFF solutions. I expect I've been building computers longer than you've been drawing breath.

It's not the size that made things difficult directly & I'm actually pretty understanding regarding the fact it's your first real effort at designing a case. However, I do feel bad for the people who think they're still getting tempered glass & a 4th gen cable & I also think you guys really need to be taking a hard look at the issues with the case & pausing your endless rounds of presales to actually make a case that's premium beyond the outside shell.

Having a different opinion than most doesn't make mine invalid. You should perhaps spend less time trying to dismiss feedback or convince me the case is better than it is & spend that time making TZ & the case better than they are. Because heaven knows you need some improvements on both fronts. I've had far better experiences with literally every other small-time boutique SFF, custom keyboard, custom cable etc company I've ever dealt with. Maybe I've just been lucky. Or maybe you're just inexcusably sub-par?
Quite frankly, pretty much every time you say something about us it’s that “we suck at this” or “failure that” and I’m really not interested in selling you any products in the future either, it will probably lengthen my lifespan. I remember you commenting on the KS page that you would sell your MJOLNIR the instant you got it, I kind of hoped you would’ve done that as it would at least go to someone who can appreciate the effort that went into it.
I tried to sell it locally, since I didn't want to try and ship it anywhere with the glass panels already chipping & in danger of failing completely. Unfortunately I got no bites (even taking a loss), so when I was lucky enough to snag a GPU it made sense to use what I had on hand. It's a nice enough looking case for what it is & I enjoy having it on my desk (it ties everything together quite well & the colour matches my keyboard case & other stuff). I had been waiting on it for two years at that point.

I loathe interacting with anything deeper than the power button on it. That's why I'm so keen on getting a PCIE 4.0 riser cable so I can avoid having to crack it open any more than I absolutely have to, because every time I touch it it's another opportunity for a magnet to come loose, or the nylon corners to come off or the core to rack & not be 100% true.

ARC1T3CT

Trash Compacter
Aug 27, 2018
Started shipping them now, the 5 test shipments are on their way and by the looks of it things are progressing the same way as when we use UPS. The remaining 26 cases will be shipped out as soon as the test reach their destinations (5-7 business days). There’s a holiday in China until 21:st September, I’m unsure if this will affect express courier flight but it’s a possibility — so to be on the safe side 5-7 days after September 21:st you should be getting your tracking.

So in other words you plan to ship the remaining KS/B1 cases sometime in October…

Well, i’ve waited this long so what’s another month or so…