Minimum Height of Noctua L9a CPU cooler + Motherboard?

P2theG1

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 13, 2017
I am new here and this is my first post so apologies if this is in the wrong sub-section of the forum, I have a question and it's a really frustrating one to answer (For me at least),

What is the approximate minimum height that an ITX Motherboard (Biostar X370 ITX for example) plus a Noctua L9a CPU cooler can fit into?

I found the size of the CPU cooler both with and without a fan on the Noctua website but what I am after is how big is it height wise when attached to a motherboard? What is the average thickness of a motherboard? I am trying to build my own bespoke Aluminium ITX case and so I need to know the height in mm so that I can add a 5mm buffer on top then work out the rest of my dimensions from that point, many thanks in advance to anyone that can help, Pete

Reactions: Broxin

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
CPU IHS is usually about 8mm above the top surface of the motherboard. Motherboard thickness varies, but the ATX spec assumes 1.6mm.

So 37mm + 8mm + 1.6mm = 46.6mm

Don't forget the motherboard standoffs though, spec calls for a minimum of 6.35mm for the standoff.

P2theG1

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 13, 2017
CPU IHS is usually about 8mm above the top surface of the motherboard. Motherboard thickness varies, but the ATX spec assumes 1.6mm.

So 37mm + 8mm + 1.6mm = 46.6mm

Don't forget the motherboard standoffs though, spec calls for a minimum of 6.35mm for the standoff.
Thanks for such a swift reply and thanks for the information, I had considered standoffs but wasn't aware they had a minimum spec, does the entire motherboard require that much height elevation or could I provide a cutout behind the motherboard that opens up as much of the board as possible and then have a rim to which I can attach the standoffs? Meaning I could drop the height of the standoff themselves by 5mm so they stand at 1.35mm high and then have a massive cutout behind the motherboard to allow for space between the back of the motherboard and the motherboard tray/side panel? I am Intending to mount the motherboard to a piece of 3mm thick aluminium which then has another piece set 2mm behind it, so if I cut out behind the motherboard then I can drop the standoffs 5mm in total but still provide the spacing of the required minimum spec to ensure I don't have problems with any contact between the back of the board and the case, is my thinking correct ? I am trying to slim down the case as much as possible behind the motherboard so that I can maximise space above it.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Something like that could work. I just suggest being very careful with reducing the standoff height. You won't really notice if the case is 5mm thicker or not, but you'll definitely notice if you can't install the motherboard correctly.

P2theG1

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 13, 2017
Something like that could work. I just suggest being very careful with reducing the standoff height. You won't really notice if the case is 5mm thicker or not, but you'll definitely notice if you can't install the motherboard correctly.

Thanks for your help and the advice, I have decided that it is probably best to give myself 5mm extra space and that way I then don't have to worry about if the motherboard has enough space or not, This community is great and I look forward to becoming part of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jeshikat