Cooling Mini USB to Motherboard Header Cable for AIO Coolers (i.e. Kraken X52)

YESWEKEN

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 22, 2019
Just wondering if anyone has tried a cable like this for an AIO cooler like the Kraken X52.

ebay link to the cable

Wondering if it works. The cable they include with the cooler is a bit bulky, the plug juts out pretty far and is right up against my ram modules since it is not angled.

eiselx86

Trash Compacter
Oct 23, 2017
I assume it operates at 12V and around 1.5A max current draw.
USB 2.0 ports are specified to support a current output of 5V, 600mA. USB 3.0 can output 5V, 900mA.
This tells you that a USB port shouldn't be able supply enough power to the AIO. Windows would also shut the USB port off it detects current draw exceeding specifications, so you're up against a challenge if you do try it.

I'd suggest you power it from a molex/sata connector with an adapter. You could also use a DC-DC power supply module for your peripherals. Comes in a tiny package and a low price, suitable for custom projects.

Link to a commonly used DC-DC module: https://hobbycomponents.com/power/215-lm2596-dc-dc-3-35v-adjustable-step-down-power-supply-module

YESWEKEN

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 22, 2019
oh yeah, my intention with this USB cable is purely to allow the RGB control to work, the aio is still running on SATA power.
It's just that the usb cable they supply is bulky and has a rather large straight mini usb plug, when plugged into the aio block/pump, it juts out quite a bit where it can make contact with the memory slots. If this one works, then the right angle will at least alleviate that and look a bit cleaner.

eiselx86

Trash Compacter
Oct 23, 2017
oh yeah, my intention with this USB cable is purely to allow the RGB control to work, the aio is still running on SATA power.
It's just that the usb cable they supply is bulky and has a rather large straight mini usb plug, when plugged into the aio block/pump, it juts out quite a bit where it can make contact with the memory slots. If this one works, then the right angle will at least alleviate that and look a bit cleaner.

Sorry, didn't catch what you wanted it to do. To answer the question, yes it would work.