"Miller" - I9 7980xe - Ncase M1

RT Studios

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 12, 2017
3 year update on this build. Generally works fantastic. Pushed this hard running 3ds max hard with animation renders that went for days at 100%. High temp was about 71c. Had issues with leaks after 1 year, had to replace hard tubing. Then again after one more year. Replaced with soft tubing, and zip ties...lol... the hard tubing was deforming around the fittings. Probably due to prolonged heavy usage at 71c. I also added a M.2 - pcie slot behind the front panel to accomodate my Vive wireless transmitter . 2 out of 3 fans have died and replaced. Loved this setup doing VR demos for clients, very portable.

Now.....I just replaced the P5000 with a RTX 3090. Upgraded the PSU to 750w Corsair. It does run fine, but as I expected, it runs warm under heavy load. The card is actually smaller than the p5000, an was hoping the airflow would improve but GPU and CPU running at 100% yields temps around 80-82c . I am going to try to put one more fan for the 92mm rad, but I honestly think Ive finally pushed it too far. Looking at new cases to rebuild a more "reasonable" build. I think I need 2 240mm rad with good airflow. Any ideas for case options? Currently considering the Sliger Cerberus or the chunkier, Corsair 280X. But I will really miss the small footprint of the Ncase M1. The Cerberus looks promising, airflow around the bottom radiator looks much better than than my M1, but not sure I could get in another 240mm rad on top/front.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
3 year update on this build. Generally works fantastic. Pushed this hard running 3ds max hard with animation renders that went for days at 100%. High temp was about 71c. Had issues with leaks after 1 year, had to replace hard tubing. Then again after one more year. Replaced with soft tubing, and zip ties...lol... the hard tubing was deforming around the fittings. Probably due to prolonged heavy usage at 71c. I also added a M.2 - pcie slot behind the front panel to accomodate my Vive wireless transmitter . 2 out of 3 fans have died and replaced. Loved this setup doing VR demos for clients, very portable.

Now.....I just replaced the P5000 with a RTX 3090. Upgraded the PSU to 750w Corsair. It does run fine, but as I expected, it runs warm under heavy load. The card is actually smaller than the p5000, an was hoping the airflow would improve but GPU and CPU running at 100% yields temps around 80-82c . I am going to try to put one more fan for the 92mm rad, but I honestly think Ive finally pushed it too far. Looking at new cases to rebuild a more "reasonable" build. I think I need 2 240mm rad with good airflow. Any ideas for case options? Currently considering the Sliger Cerberus or the chunkier, Corsair 280X. But I will really miss the small footprint of the Ncase M1. The Cerberus looks promising, airflow around the bottom radiator looks much better than than my M1, but not sure I could get in another 240mm rad on top/front.
Have you looked at Winter One?

RT Studios

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 12, 2017
Have you looked at Winter One?
Had not seen this one. Looks nearly perfect. I would need a smaller pump, but for the size, the airflow looks to be very nice. Especially with the vertical gpu. Too bad this and many other good options are unavailable to purchase. I am on the email list for the next batch in case I dont find something sooner. I have an animation job due in Feb the Im using 100% GPU, so its gonna get toasty soon.

Reactions: rfarmer