Making a case with Protocase designer?

Edward78

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
Any good videos anywhere? I just am wondering about the ood drive cutout, back io, stuff like that & how do I make vents?

allison_Protocase

Chassis Packer
Protocase
Jul 2, 2015
www.protocase.com
Hi Edward! I'm part of the Protocase team. We currently don't have a video tutorial on making a SFF case in Protocase Designer, however I've passed on your feedback to our Protocase Designer team. They're going to get some written instructions and a video made ASAP, so I'll keep you posted on that.

In the meantime, if you have any specific questions, feel free to let me know here. We also have a wiki and forum dedicated to Protocase Designer.

Reactions: darksidecookie

Edward78

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
Hi Edward! I'm part of the Protocase team. We currently don't have a video tutorial on making a SFF case in Protocase Designer, however I've passed on your feedback to our Protocase Designer team. They're going to get some written instructions and a video made ASAP, so I'll keep you posted on that.

In the meantime, if you have any specific questions, feel free to let me know here. We also have a wiki and forum dedicated to Protocase Designer.
Thanks, you know of any current cases that are 5,25/50 tall (what ever a duel width gpu power connector requires) 10 wide with a ODD bay & able to take a mATX board? Like a Sugo SG-01 that is 5.25/50 tall.

Last edited:

allison_Protocase

Chassis Packer
Protocase
Jul 2, 2015
www.protocase.com
Hi Edward, sorry for the delay - many people coming back from vacation yesterday, so I was trying to make sure I had the right answer for you before responding.
Basically, because we are a custom manufacturer (with no minimum orders), we could do a case in the dimensions you'd require. You could choose from a U-shaped enclosure, an L-shaped enclosure or a 5-sided enclosure, which are all available to design within our Protocase Designer software. You would just have to customize to your needs.
(Another option would be to CNC machine a case within your dimensions specified, though that is not available through Protocase Designer).
If you want to give one of the enclosure styles listed above a try in Protocase Designer, these resources might be helpful for you:
How to Design Custom Enclosures for Motherboard-Based Systems
Using the Face Editor in Protocase Designer

Hope this helps. I'll keep you posted on the tutorial for SFF cases!

Reactions: ColorZepppelin

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Cool software! I have been tinkering with it today. Thank you for your contributions to SFF design, especially for the cheat-sheet PDF which is much easier to follow than the ATX standards booklet. :D

allison_Protocase

Chassis Packer
Protocase
Jul 2, 2015
www.protocase.com
@Josh | NFC - don't know how I missed your reply so long ago, but better late than never. Thanks so much for your kind words! We're happy to support the SFF community.

We're actually in the midst of updating the cheat-sheet PDF (it's chock-full of info, but dates back to 2007), so I'll keep you posted as to when the new updated version is published on our site. :)

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
@Josh | NFC - don't know how I missed your reply so long ago, but better late than never. Thanks so much for your kind words! We're happy to support the SFF community.

We're actually in the midst of updating the cheat-sheet PDF (it's chock-full of info, but dates back to 2007), so I'll keep you posted as to when the new updated version is published on our site. :)
Do you have an ETA on that?

Edward78

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
To allison_Protocase, what do you think of a case like the element Q, but wide enough for a GPU placed on a riser (2 slot GPU), replace the ODD with a Slim ODD & just replace the front IO panel with a 3.5 cutout so you can put a io panel you buy in??? Prob. moving the ODD & 3.5 cutout into the center of the case would also be good...

allison_Protocase

Chassis Packer
Protocase
Jul 2, 2015
www.protocase.com
Do you have an ETA on that?

I'm hoping within the next week or so. Just doing the final checks required for accuracy, etc.

To allison_Protocase, what do you think of a case like the element Q, but wide enough for a GPU placed on a riser (2 slot GPU), replace the ODD with a Slim ODD & just replace the front IO panel with a 3.5 cutout so you can put a io panel you buy in??? Prob. moving the ODD & 3.5 cutout into the center of the case would also be good...

Hi Edward, I can't really answer your questions without being able to give more details to our engineering and design services (EDS) team. I'd recommend firming up your vision, and then sending all of the details to info@protocase.com. At that point, an account manager would coordinate with our engineering and design services team. Our EDS team can provide design services for a really reasonable fee. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Voldorac

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
I'm hoping within the next week or so. Just doing the final checks required for accuracy, etc.
Hi Edward, I can't really answer your questions without being able to give more details to our engineering and design services (EDS) team. I'd recommend firming up your vision, and then sending all of the details to info@protocase.com. At that point, an account manager would coordinate with our engineering and design services team. Our EDS team can provide design services for a really reasonable fee. :)
Just to let you know, in the future, combine posts if you post at the same time. You can multi quote...

Reactions: allison_Protocase

allison_Protocase

Chassis Packer
Protocase
Jul 2, 2015
www.protocase.com