Protocase Designer help?

Edward78

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
I like how easy the program is, but it is not really geared to PC cases... I have an case idea, but the programs are a little much, PD is good, but it only reads/writes its own file type... Well it reads .dxf 2d, but that format is pointless for a 3d cad app. Does anyone know a program like PD that you can open/save in lots of cad formats, plus I am not sure how big PC cutouts are so need help there...

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I don't have protocase, but you can certainly post pictures and ask about specifics. Use the Snipping Tool of Windows to make detail-shots easily.

Edward78

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
I don't have protocase, but you can certainly post pictures and ask about specifics. Use the Snipping Tool of Windows to make detail-shots easily.

The new version has PC cutouts :) oddly it has a ATX template & ITX, but no mATX... No SFX PSU cutout either & the only other format it has besides its own is DXF... Besides those issues, I was happy about the PC stuff... I don't really understand the temp. creator on the site saves in other formates, seems odd to lock the program down...

Douglas Ronne

What's an ITX?
Protocase
Feb 22, 2016
Hello Edward,
I am the lead software developer for Protocase. We actually would like to save other formats but our primary goal is to give our customers free software that makes designing and ordering enclosures easy. We will eventually export to Solidworks format at a minimum, and possibly IGS or some other open format.

We have just started adding computer enclosures. Traditionally, people are not willing to pay custom prices for them (about $200 to $400), as mass production prices are so much cheaper. However that seems to be changing so we are adding support as we find the time. Since we are a sheet metal company, not a computer enclosure company, could you provide a link to a SFX PSU you would like to see us have a mounting bracket for? I will personally make sure we get it added. We will eventually add mATX as well if uptake on the ATX and mini-ITX cases is good.

Sincerely,
--Douglas Ronne
Lead Developer
Protocase Incorporated

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Sincerely,
--Douglas Ronne
Lead Developer
Protocase Incorporated

Hi Douglas, welcome to the forum!

As you are an official representative of Protocase, you might want to consider contacting the Site Staff and asking for verification. That way you'll get a custom banner below your username, confirming to members and readers of the forum that you are indeed a protocase official.
It's great to see someone in a position like yours come directly to us here and take feedback directly! If you want a one-off custom designed case and don't have skills or tools to manufacture it yourself, it seems like you guys are one of the only and certainly the easiest option around, and a lot of us are dedicated to doing exactly that.

Again, welcome to the forum, we're glad to have you here!

Reactions: niksus

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Hello Edward,
I am the lead software developer for Protocase. We actually would like to save other formats but our primary goal is to give our customers free software that makes designing and ordering enclosures easy. We will eventually export to Solidworks format at a minimum, and possibly IGS or some other open format.

We have just started adding computer enclosures. Traditionally, people are not willing to pay custom prices for them (about $200 to $400), as mass production prices are so much cheaper. However that seems to be changing so we are adding support as we find the time. Since we are a sheet metal company, not a computer enclosure company, could you provide a link to a SFX PSU you would like to see us have a mounting bracket for? I will personally make sure we get it added. We will eventually add mATX as well if uptake on the ATX and mini-ITX cases is good.

Welcome Douglas!

Exporting to interchangeable formats would be very welcome. Most case design beginners start with SketchUp but it's difficult to get a useful file format like .STEP out of it so getting that functionality out of Protocase Designer would be very helpful.

SFF is uniquely suited to custom case design because the big companies have to include lots of features to appeal to a larger audience with their designs but that is almost always is at the expense of size. For SFF enthusiasts it makes sense to design the case that makes the specific tradeoffs you want in order to get the size and feature set you want.

SFX encompasses a few different mounting layouts but the consumer units on the market today use the mounting holes shown on page 45 of this SFX spec sheet: www.formfactors.org/developer%5Cspecs%5CSFX12V_2_3dg.pdf

And if anyone asks you, SFX-L is a form factor mostly pushed by SilverStone that is similar to the above mentioned form factor, but extended to 130mm in depth in order to fit a 120mm fan. The mounting holes are the same.

Reactions: niksus

Edward78

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
Hello Edward,

Sincerely,
--Douglas Ronne
Lead Developer
Protocase Incorporated

Just a general SFX bracket & cutout is good...