M69 - 4L Build Housing 1080 TI

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
I was think 1080ti's were ~340w... But it looks like they are closer to 300. Lol so a 100w chip would have been pushing the limits(340+100). But I was wrong. :) I'm glad to be wrong lol. :)

Is the PSU 80+ branded? If so, what grade?

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Also, why firestorm? Isn't evga's precision x1 better? especially since you have a EVGA bios on it?

Just wondering. :D

see4

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 14, 2019
Is the PSU 80+ branded? If so, what grade?
According to the listing in Taobao it is 80+ Grade A , didn't see 80+ on the sticker though

Also, how did you mod your sata cable to an 8pin gpu?
I purchased 2$ adapter from the local PC store, Sata power in, 8pin pcie out.
See one of images I posted with the yellow and black wires

Also, why firestorm? Isn't evga's precision x1 better? especially since you have a EVGA bios on it?

Just wondering. :D
I have both installed and both works with the card but just went ahead with Firestorm

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
these cards occupy 3 slots and above a reference design
This I did know, and it is much more power hungry than the little zotac mini model. However it was my 1st Google search, and it assured me that I was indeed wrong of the 340w needed to power a 1080ti. So at around 260w or possibly more if OC'd (granted thermals allow it) I believe 300w to be a safe number to calculate(with buffer) for my intended config.

All this aside, thanks for the confirmation. :)

Glad to hear that a 2700x is not out of the question (granted cooling it is the next hurdle, although I believe I can manage that relatively easily... I have a fair few CPU coolers like axp90, black ridge and c7g. And a couple even more powerful if I extend the case with standoffs/spacers)

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
1. According to the listing in Taobao it is 80+ Grade A , didn't see 80+ on the sticker though

2. I purchased 2$ adapter from the local PC store, Sata power in, 8pin pcie out.
See one of images I posted with the yellow and black wires

3. I have both installed and both works with the card but just went ahead with Firestorm
Great news all around.

1. Ok I believe it'll be fine.

2. That's an easy fix! :) I know those exist, and even believe I have one! However, for some reason I thought you re-pinned the cable or soldered wires. (Didn't look too closely to the pics)

3. Ok. Do you find it easier to use? Also, now that it is flashed to an EVGA bios, does that mean the PC thinks it's an EVGA card? I've never flashed a card before, although I believe it isn't to complex (watched a couple videos).

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
At
Thermalright AXP-100R
disperses 190w
Don't have that specific cooler, although it is a beast. But I have some solid contenders. I had debated on that one. But I think I'd need to get different screws. Since they sit about 2mm up off the fan making it actually taller than 58mm (44 for the heatsink and 14 for the fan)

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018

"after bending the pipes the heatsink was still 5-6mm too talls so I cut the fins down using a hand saw with a metal cutting blade exactly like this user https://hardforum.com/threads/dan-a...in-the-world.1799326/page-251#post-1042877925
I'm thinking we just need to cut
without having to bend at all. oh well, live and learn."

At that point it's essentially a copper blackridge. Total height after just bending it(and not cutting the bottom fins) would be ~53-54mm. so still quite impressive, but it would be a decent amount of of work, and I'd still need spacers.

If I were to trim the bottom fins off. I could probably get 3-5° cooler than a black ridge in a similar config. Both at about 47-48mm tall. Idk if it's worth the ~80-90 after shipping to the US to mod it However.

Last edited:

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
I didn’t cut anything, but inserted an Akasa 80 cooler from the bottom 10 mm thick and got a height of 46 mm

Did you still bend the cooler to accommodate the fan? And how are cooling results for you? I have a couple scythe gentle typhoon 80x10mm fans on the way(from AliExpress). I imagine they are not nearly as good as the stock 100x14mm fan, so I doubt it'll be as good at cooling as stock. But it might still be better than a black ridge.

I bought this fan

Last edited:

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
I ordered the m69 but got this message from superbuy

• Hello friend, sorry, after verification by logistics, if the product is not a brand, you can send it through DHL, but you need to have customs clearance.And you ordered are restricted by the customs of the destination country. There is a possibility that the parcel will be confiscated, returned, taxed, inspected, or destroyed by the customs. After the parcel arrives at the destination country, the recipient needs to clear the customs according to the customs policy. The actual shipping time will also follow the customs policy. If you understand and accept the risks, please reply to this message and we will process the order as soon as possible. Please respond to this message within 72 hours or we will refund you the order.

I'm in the usa if that matters. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do?

@see4 I believe you are in a different country, and you used a different agent(bhiner vs superbuy), but did you get anything like this? Please let me know. :)

see4

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 14, 2019
@Poblopuablo yea, this is just to cover his a**s, don't know about superbuy, but through bhiner you can set the amount declared in the invoice which is attached to your parcel.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
@Poblopuablo yea, this is just to cover his a**s, don't know about superbuy, but through bhiner you can set the amount declared in the invoice which is attached to your parcel.
Ok, now my main concern is how much it's going to cost because they want to use DHL. And dhl isn't very cheap with these larger packages. Lol

dreadpiratebob

Chassis Packer
Dec 30, 2019
Does that PSU layout not mean that the PSU heat exhausts back into the case, rather than out like a standard Flex 1U? Have you noticed any issues with that? And is the 40mm exhausting directly into the case, or taking air into the PSU that exhausts passively out of the PSU vents? Absolutely gorgeous rig, regardless! :):thumb:

Last edited:

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Google translate: "A 2.5-inch hard disk can be installed on the side of the power supply, and the internal space of the chassis is large. Two 2.5-inch hard disks can be added. If you choose a mini graphics card, you can also install a 3.5-inch hard disk."

Idk where the 2nd one is supposed to fit, but the post says it's possible.