Production M2427 - Cable Management Freedom

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
You're an absolute madman.
I'm suprised more people haven't realized how much this changes things.

THIS IS AWESOME!!!

Would it work with say, and HDplex 400ATX, to reduce cable clutter?

If you can de-pin and rewire, yes. :) It works with anything that has ATX pinouts.

The pinouts are labeled on board so you can look at the HDPLEX pinout chart and repin as necessary. But.. it's kinda silly to use two DC-DC as it's kinda expensive but hey, freedom!

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Count me in for one!

Ugh. There's a rando on the sffpc subreddit that commented:

"Electrical Engineer here: don’t buy this. There’s a reason there’s 7 wires and a huge power supply. What this is doing is just reducing the +/-12V to 5V and 3.3V. I’d be very surprised if this board was rated at what a lot of these new boards draw on their 5 and 3.3V rails."

Of course, he's wrong, and obviously not an electrically engineer. No one calls it +/-12V. He spouts bullshit that new boards draw more on 5V/3.3V (hint, they don't). And people upvote so they think he's right. But whatever. People will be people.

Last edited:

graphichasan

Average Stuffer
Jun 26, 2019
"Electrical Engineer here: don’t buy this. There’s a reason there’s 7 wires and a huge power supply. What this is doing is just reducing the +/-12V to 5V and 3.3V. I’d be very surprised if this board was rated at what a lot of these new boards draw on their 5 and 3.3V rails."

Of course, he's wrong, and obviously not an electrically engineer. No one calls it +/-12V. He spouts bullshit that new boards draw more on 5V/3.3V (hint, they don't). And people upvote so they think he's right. But whatever. People will be people.

You are right. I think 10amps on 3.3V & 5V eatch is enough for supporting dual SSD/HDD, a dicent RGB LED strip run, a AIO Cooler & some USB 3 stuff according to new atx psu designs. But what about the 4+4eps ? ...

Project Thundercreck
400W active cooled ac-dc brick || Mini 6L Awesome Workstation
Why there is not much hype on active cooled ac-dc brick ? doesn't they make cases more smaller ?

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
You are right. I think 10amps on 3.3V & 5V eatch is enough for supporting dual SSD/HDD, a dicent RGB LED strip run, a AIO Cooler & some USB 3 stuff according to new atx psu designs. But what about the 4+4eps ? ...

4+4 is straight from sfx psu. Gets full power based on your rated psu.

AIO and rgb runs off of 12v anyways haha.

graphichasan

Average Stuffer
Jun 26, 2019
Last edited:

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
If you can de-pin and rewire, yes. It works with anything that has ATX pinouts.

The pinouts are labeled on board so you can look at the HDPLEX pinout chart and repin as necessary. But.. it's kinda silly to use two DC-DC as it's kinda expensive but hey, freedom!

Just that skywire cables are very, very stiff, and this is not.
Yes, freedom!

Thanks

I saw that. You should screenshot it and post it on r/quityourbullshit.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Thanks

Of course, he's full of shit, and obviously not an electrically engineer. No one calls it +/-12V. He spouts bullshit that new boards draw more on 5V/3.3V (hint, they don't). And people upvote so they think he's right. But whatever. People will be people.
There's of course the off chance the person is an EE, but they sure don't know anything about modern PCs. Heck, anyone who has read a good quality PSU review in the past five years knows the 5V and 3.3V rails are barely used at all. Post a link so we can all downvote that nonsense? I guess this just goes to show why I can't stand Reddit.

Last edited:

comagoosie

sff is life
May 8, 2018
No need to get discouraged by the skeptical reception on reddit -- that's honestly probably how you know you're on the right track for an excellent niche product.

What's a popular case where everyone complains about 24pin cable management? The Dan A4 with an aio, right? IMO once people start seeing builds saying "cable management was a breeze with the M2427. No issues to report" then that should set the record straight.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
No need to get discouraged by the skeptical reception on reddit -- that's honestly probably how you know you're on the right track for an excellent niche product.

What's a popular case where everyone complains about 24pin cable management? The Dan A4 with an aio, right? IMO once people start seeing builds saying "cable management was a breeze with the M2427. No issues to report" then that should set the record straight.
Indeed. On that point, might seeding a few of these to various tech 'tubers be an idea to drum up interest? Not the cheapest marketing tactic, but likely an effective one.

graphichasan

Average Stuffer
Jun 26, 2019
Indeed. On that point, might seeding a few of these to various tech 'tubers be an idea to drum up interest? Not the cheapest marketing tactic, but likely an effective one.

You should defiantly go for that .... your product has every chance to shine ... I think this product is way cooler ... although a bit use of cable-comb & sleeving may give this product a premium look & appeal ...

Project Thundercreck
400W active cooled ac-dc brick || Mini 6L Awesome Workstation
Why there is not much hype on active cooled ac-dc brick ? doesn't they make cases more smaller ?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com

There's only a couple SFF youtuber whose audience would be interested. I'd have to reach out but most are so so on it

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Incredible, better cable management, more airflow!
Want one!

Sorry if that was mentioned before, but what is the non used 5 pins white connector for?

Also, is the whole thing sturdy enough?
It indeed sometimes needs quite some force to insert the 24pin connector into the motherboard socket, and I guess people will do that by pushing the M2427 on the top of its PCB. Would be bad to break it into 2 pieces if too much pressure is applied incorrectly...
So, along with some sleeved cables as suggested by @graphichasan, maybe a 3D printed enclosure/cover would reinforce it and make it look more like a whole unit, perhaps even safer.
It would obviously make it a little bigger, and I don't see how you could attach such a cover to the 24pin part but well, just a thought.

Congrats again!

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Incredible, better cable management, more airflow!
Want one!

Sorry if that was mentioned before, but what is the non used 5 pins white connector for?

Also, is the whole thing sturdy enough?
It indeed sometimes needs quite some force to insert the 24pin connector into the motherboard socket, and I guess people will do that by pushing the M2427 on the top of its PCB. Would be bad to break it into 2 pieces if too much pressure is applied incorrectly...
So, along with some sleeved cables as suggested by @graphichasan, maybe a 3D printed enclosure/cover would reinforce it and make it look more like a whole unit, perhaps even safer.
It would obviously make it a little bigger, and I don't see how you could attach such a cover to the 24pin part but well, just a thought.

Congrats again!
:D thanks. To answer your concerns:

It is very sturdy, the same as any other Picopsu used around our forums. I have not heard of a single one breaking. A 3d printed cover would be for aesthetics, and won't do anything structurally.

The 5 pin is for powering SATA, so you can further reduce your wire needs.

In the future I will look at sleeving options. Sleeving adds more cost, a lot of time finding a good assembler, and overall, just beyond the scope of what I can do. I am just a guy with a full time job trying to be innovative.

Future revisions, I am open to assembler buying wholesale boards to provide a more premium option. Generally those who want sleeves also like it color matched. But at the very least, sleeveless means it is very bendable.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com

Product page. Shipments for it will be soon.*

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
IMO sleeving is unnecessary. People who want it can add it themselves - sleeving 7 cables is a lot easier than sleeving 24 after all. Unsleeved is thinner, more flexible, easier to manage. Hope you're using some good quality, flexible wire though.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Oh, a question I forgot to ask: do the Corsair SF PSUs have voltage sense wires on the 24-pin, and if so does this preserve them?