M.2 Wifi slot used for 2x PCIe / SSD

taftsummerset

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
I'm new to the forum and currently building up a ASrock Deskmini. Looking to deck this badboy out with top of the range stuff. Will post a build blog when I've decided on hardware.

Question before I proceed. I want to use the M.2 wifi (E) slot for my SSD... this is because I want to use the M.2 Ultra (M) slot for the 4x PCIe GPU...

I'm probably missing something here, but is there anyway I can use this slot (first photo) via a riser or something to remote the SSD to a position along the back above the I/O ports? (second photo). Any help would be appreciated.

Taft.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
As far as I understand, M.2 SSDs are usually B or B&M key. E Key slots are usually reserved for WiFi cards, as per your build.
What I don't know is what bandwidth is allocated to an E key slot.
Looking at this conversation in the For Sale Section on Bit-Tech, it looks like E key SSDs do exist, as Lenovo have used that fit on models in their laptop range.
However low the bandwidth is, it'll still be pretty quick I'd say.
I'm running an SSD on my Maximus VI Impact board, and that has quite a limited bandwidth allocated to it compared to newer boards; enough to get SATA II full speed.
So, an E key SSD may be too long for the slot; the riser you mentioned (if available), may do what you want to get it to work.
Good luck with your experimentation

Reactions: taftsummerset

taftsummerset

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
Thanks for the speedy response, greatly appreciated. Yeah, from my understanding the E key is down to half the bandwidth of the M key. I base this on the PCIe lanes available - this table was handy.

Therefore, I'd be wasting a 960 EVO SSD. A slower but smaller E key SSD might be the best way ahead and it leaves the M.2 Ultra slot available for my GPU... working on ways to cram a 1050 ti LP in the case ;)

Also found this to remote the SSD to along the I/O.

Taft.

taftsummerset

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
Sensational, thanks heaps for the links.

So far, my testing has show an "immeasurable" difference in the boot and read/write times between running a SSD via the Sata3 connections and a M.2 SSD (Samsung SSD 860 PRO Vs Samsung M.2 SSD 960 EVO) . Hence, to save myself the heartache, I've gone with a standard M.2 M to 4X PCIE adapter with a 4x to 16x PICE riser for the GPU.

On the GPU front, in order to avoid power issues and maintain the Deskmini case, I've gone for a EVGA GT1030 SC GPU which is about 14mm too long. However, a small incision on the back will allow it to fit and not look ridiculous. Once I've got my parts, I'll show the whole build.

Thanks again for the advice.