LZ7 #8 High End Build

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Search for "Services" in the start menu and disable the Windows Update service.

Reactions: cmyk78

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
If it;s booting and rebooting fine but throwing a wobbler reliably after 15 minutes, I'd guess something to do with Power Saving (drive being mistakenly deemed as 'idle' and powered down while in operation). Check the advanced power settings and see what "PCIe Link State Management" is set to.

Reactions: cmyk78 and Phuncz

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
If it;s booting and rebooting fine but throwing a wobbler reliably after 15 minutes, I'd guess something to do with Power Saving (drive being mistakenly deemed as 'idle' and powered down while in operation). Check the advanced power settings and see what "PCIe Link State Management" is set to.

Great advice; this has happened to me before. Respects,

Reactions: Soul_Est and cmyk78

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Yep, this week I also needed to disable PCIe Link State Power Management, somehow it had re-enabled itself... It gave me GPU instability in almost all games.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Are you hot swapping your boot drive from your laptop with your new build? If so this is bad, Windows probably has multiple sets of drivers installed for GPU, MB, etc. You should do a fresh reinstall and leave it in one system... unless I am misunderstanding your post.

Reactions: cmyk78

cmyk78

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Thanks to everyone for the advice.
Are you hot swapping your boot drive from your laptop with your new build? If so this is bad, Windows probably has multiple sets of drivers installed for GPU, MB, etc. You should do a fresh reinstall and leave it in one system... unless I am misunderstanding your post.
I believe that this was the problem. I did a fresh install of Windows onto an old hard drive I forgot about, if I hadn't forgot I had it I would have done that in the first place.

cmyk78

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
And now that fresh install is no longer recognized. :(
The computer went to sleep, when I moved the mouse to "wake" it nothing happened. I try restarting it and the motherboard can't find any boot devices.

cmyk78

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Okay I think my build just hates me.

I have the 960 evo 1TB now and installed Windows 10 onto it, and get the same stuttering behavior as before.
It is definitely not the ram, I've had memtest86 running all day.
When I was informed it might be my Windows installation was trying to update, I created new installation media and used that to update Windows. That didn't help.

I'll add pictures of the 960 evo later, going to sleep now.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
You could look at resetting the BIOS to defaults, always something highly recommended with an update. Also take a look at Windows' power management options. Mine had reset the PCIe link state setting back to "balanced, making it crash my GPU every now and then.

cmyk78

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
You could look at resetting the BIOS to defaults, always something highly recommended with an update. Also take a look at Windows' power management options. Mine had reset the PCIe link state setting back to "balanced, making it crash my GPU every now and then.
Thanks Phuncz, I forgot to mention that I had disabled PCIe link state power management.
I tried reseting the BIOS to defaults, but it didn't change anything.

When I open up Task Manager System is using anywhere from 12 to 25% of the CPU, and everything else is at 0% CPU.

It's Working People!!!! Finally!

Last edited:

cmyk78

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Ok time for a big update. Let's start with good news and end with the bad news.
I liked the aesthetics of the fan grill, but found it to be quite noisy. To make the system quieter I ordered a Silverstone 140mm fan filter.

Another thing I didn't like was the wifi antenna? Asrock provided with the motherboard.

So I got some proper antennas from amazon.

There they both are installed. (some of you may recognize where this was taken)

And here's a better picture of the antennas

Now here is the bad stuff.
I went to 4 hardware stores looking for Weld-On 4 per @3lfk1ng's advice and found squat. I would order it from amazon, but the only seller won't ship it to Alaska.
Those issues with Windows in the previous posts came back as soon as I installed Nvidia drivers. I am now pretty sure that my 1070 is bad. When I boot up the system I get about a minute before I get a random pastel screen of death, and the only way to get the system to do anything is to flip the PSU switch off.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I just realized something: of course the front panel broke when you dropped it, everything's brittle when it's so stinkin' cold :p

That's a bummer on the 1070 though.

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
To make the system quieter I ordered a Silverstone 140mm fan filter.

So I got some proper antennas from amazon.
I love Silverstone Fan Filters I use both the 120 and 140 mm on my case.

Would you be so kind as to provide the amazon link for those exact antennas you got. Cheers.