CPU Low Profile CPU Cooler round up

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I noticed you added some more tests @IntoxicatedPuma

Did you swap from prime 95 to intel xtu?

Also good work its appreciated

I just got zalman to send me a CNPS2X am4 bracket so im excited about that.

Edit* also in curious at which wattage/voltage people are most interested in. Seems like the high OC tests and low OC tests have some variability and are not linearly effective at disapating heat.

Yeah I switched to XTU, its giving me the same results as Prime95 26.6 and the dashboard will tell me if I'm throttling or not.

Unfortunately it means I needed to restart the tests from scratch, and the TDP is lower than what I saw with Prime 95. Since my motherboard is a B85 I don't think it was very safe to run such high wattages anyways. In the future I'd like to get an 8700k since it seems note popular these days, and is way more power hungry.

Tjo2012

Trash Compacter
Feb 6, 2018
Yeah I switched to XTU, its giving me the same results as Prime95 26.6 and the dashboard will tell me if I'm throttling or not.

Unfortunately it means I needed to restart the tests from scratch, and the TDP is lower than what I saw with Prime 95. Since my motherboard is a B85 I don't think it was very safe to run such high wattages anyways. In the future I'd like to get an 8700k since it seems note popular these days, and is way more power hungry.

See if u can crowdfund one? Unless thats against forum rules. Although i suppose mods can always make exceptions?

Publishing your results here or wherever and possibly get some small compensation might be in your best interest.

Id be happy to throw 10$ or less considering the investment youve already put in.

I myself have a r5 1600 and im trying to decide on a ryzen cpu for a S4M so this is helping alot where relevant.

Im looking in particular to see if i can have a XFR enabled chip run cool enough for ryzen 2 to be worthwhile or if i should just undervolt a well binned used 1700 from a freind for cheap

Last edited:

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I'd like to get an AMD system before another Intel, as there are some coolers which are AMD only. Actually I have two, but one belongs to my girlfriend and the other is in another country :D

From what I can see about Ryzen is they use about the same amount of power as older Intel chips, but I don't know about the cooling properties. It'd be very interesting to see if results are different between Intel and AMD.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Uses is about the same power per performance as current gen Intel actually, especially when you factor multithread loads.

AMD has a slightly lower max temp and comes soldered. It's pretty much "delidded" so it is very easy to keep temps manageable.

Sandez

Chassis Packer
Oct 29, 2017
Hi @IntoxicatedPuma
I think it’s great what you are doing here and it’s really helping out the community, if only I had this information 2 months ago!

Having a look at the results, there’s an anomaly that makes me wonder about a couple of things, being between the LP53 with the Noctua A8 beating the A9, but only at 3.5ghz.

I’ve recently tested my 3770k when I got he LP53 2 months ago and noticed over a 20oC difference between the individual cores and the CPU temp, leading me to believe the TIM is drying up and not performing as it should (please someone correct me if this is not the cause). I would delid and find out but I’ve just bought a 2700X and I’m now impatiently waiting on the mobo’s to come in stock.

What I’m curious about is, is your 4690k delidded? If not, what’s the temp difference between the cores and the CPU at their peaks?

a13antichrist

Average Stuffer
Apr 20, 2018
Looking forward to the Gelid Slim Silence results, I've just ordered one too for an i3 8100 so interested to see how it runs. :)

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
@IntoxicatedPuma

When you tested the Scythe Jitte on single fan config, did you use top or bottom fan?

Do you think bottom VS top single fan will give different result?

Tjo2012

Trash Compacter
Feb 6, 2018
@IntoxicatedPuma

When you tested the Scythe Jitte on single fan config, did you use top or bottom fan?

Do you think bottom VS top single fan will give different result?
well theres little reason for top fan only since you could probably use a stronger solo fan in the same height class.

who knows maybe it will be super informative for the effectiveness of the Jitte

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
well theres little reason for top fan only since you could probably use a stronger solo fan in the same height class.

who knows maybe it will be super informative for the effectiveness of the Jitte

The thing with Jitte is that is uses 80mm slim (10mm) bottom fan. If I recall correctly, the options of stronger (but silent) fans are very limited, hence my curiosity.

Tjo2012

Trash Compacter
Feb 6, 2018
@IntoxicatedPuma

If you had to guess. Would a lp53 with an A9x14 or an is cooling ID-40v3 with a noctua a9x14 do better in an s4m????

The id would have 1.5mm clearing (likely a little less and the lp53 with an A9x14 would have 2 to 3 mm clearance

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
The thing with Jitte is that is uses 80mm slim (10mm) bottom fan. If I recall correctly, the options of stronger (but silent) fans are very limited, hence my curiosity.

The top and bottom fan are the same fans, but I think the top only may perform better than the bottom only as its pushing air rather than pulling air. I tried different fan setups on other coolers and found 2-3C different between a push and pull.

If you had to guess. Would a lp53 with an A9x14 or an is cooling ID-40v3 with a noctua a9x14 do better in an s4m????

The id would have 1.5mm clearing (likely a little less and the lp53 with an A9x14 would have 2 to 3 mm clearance

I would guess the LP53 will do better but only by a slight margin, but keep in mind the A9x14 that you can buy is not the same one that comes with the A9x14 that comes with the L9i or L9x65. So if you plan on buying an A9x14 retail and put it on the IS-40v3, the performance is going to decrease due to lower fan speeds. If you can get the A9x14 from an L9i, I would guess performance will be about the same as the stock IS-40 v3 as the fan speed is similar.

Tjo2012

Trash Compacter
Feb 6, 2018
[/QUOTE] "I would guess the LP53 will do better but only by a slight margin, but keep in mind the A9x14 that you can buy is not the same one that comes with the A9x14 that comes with the L9i or L9x65. So if you plan on buying an A9x14 retail and put it on the IS-40v3, the performance is going to decrease due to lower fan speeds. If you can get the A9x14 from an L9i, I would guess performance will be about the same as the stock IS-40 v3 as the fan speed is similar."[/QUOTE]

I did not know the retail A9x14 was slower rpm. Thats pretty scummy marketing and i will check rpm's from now on.

Ill see if i can aquire a fan from this site or hardwareswap or something.

Maybe i should just go with the classic zalman plus 120mm

Should have no problem cooling a 2700 with xfr 2

Hudzzy

Caliper Novice
Apr 11, 2018
Thank for all the works, I find the results were on par with my Cu vs Alu C7 tests.

In your 4.3ghz 1.173v (120W) chart, with 100% fan speed, Cu C7 had 6 degrees lead.

In my tests, I run my delid 8700k at 4.3 and 1.16v, with 100% fan speed, Cu C7 had avg. 8 and 9 degrees lead in two runs.

One thing worth mentioning is that I used TG Kryonaut in Cu tests and MX-4 in Alu tests, Kryonaut is notably better, which should introduce around 2 degrees difference.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
The top and bottom fan are the same fans, but I think the top only may perform better than the bottom only as its pushing air rather than pulling air. I tried different fan setups on other coolers and found 2-3C different between a push and pull

That's my guess as well. Also, would be super awesome if you can test some of these little coolers with beefier 80mm fans, like 15mm or even 25mm thick fans (if you have them).

Great summary overall. Keep up the good work!

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015
You know what would add more value: If you could organize the charts with respect to height... Sub-30mm, 30-40mm, 40-50mm, 50-60mm, 60-70mm, 70-80mm, and 80+

This way, the same cooler can be listed in multiple charts using fans of varying thickness...

Tjo2012

Trash Compacter
Feb 6, 2018
Interested how the coolerserver 1155 topdown 2u does with an alternate fans.

Looks weaker than the lp53 despite the higher tdp rating.

Im curious if like the c7 cu if it works better at a higher wattage output from a cpu.

Also curious if alternate fans would help since the hearsink looks pretty beefy....