CPU Low Profile (46 to 65mm) Air Cooler Ideas

SKYMTL

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 23, 2022
www.youtube.com
I'm reaching out to the community for a bit of assistance on my next roundup video. Its the follow up to this one: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...ws-low-profile-sff-coolers.17388/#post-262105

In the next phase I want to look at air coolers between the heights of 46mm to 65mm (max). I below is a list of heatsinks we already have on hand but I'd love to know if there are any others I should be looking at in this range.

Currently on-hand or on the way:

Scythe Shuriken 2
ID-Cooling IS-60 EVO
ID Cooling IS-50X
Silverstone KR01
Arctic Alpine 23 CO
Noctua L9x65
Thermalright AXP-100 Copper

Optimally I'd replace the KR01 and 23 CO since these are thoroughly outclassed by everything else.

I was thinking of including the Gelid Silent Hero too but I can't seem to find it anywhere that ships to Canada in a reasonable timeframe.

Let me know since I'd love to get your feedback on this. :)

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Some other possible contender that aren't mentioned yet, from the top of my head:
- Alpenföhn Black Ridge, you mentioned having received it now?
- Noctua NH-L12 Ghost edition, although it's 66mm high
- AMD Wraith Stealth
- Cooltek LP53 was a popular option a while ago, but seems hard to find now
- Scythe Big Shuriken 3 is very popular too but 69mm high

Reactions: thelaughingman

m-i-c-k-e-y

Average Stuffer
Feb 13, 2018
Alpenföhn blackridge in dual fan setup. Slim 120x15mm Top and 120x15 or 92x15mm Bottom.

THINK will beat all that have been listed.

SKYMTL

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 23, 2022
www.youtube.com
Thanks for the feedback!

So a few things:

AXP-90 X53 is certainly a possibility BUT impossible to find it in or shipped to Canada in under a month. Unless there's something I'm missing

Big Shuriken 3 I'm going to skip since the Rev.B is coming as well alongside a new Fuma and Mugen. :)

Shahmatt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 6, 2017
While searching for a passive cooler for my old i3-2100 I came across this Aliexpress store:

I purchased an Aluminium cooler which is on its way. Will see how well it works. But they also have pretty low profile (1U, 2U) coolers for modern CPUs with claims of high TDP. E.g:

LGA1200 socket
Rated at 95W TDP with appropriate case cooling

AM4 socket
Rated at 125W TDP with appropriate case cooling

I am tempted by the AM4 socket cooler to improve my Raven Ridge SFF 2200G cooling performance. I am unfamiliar with this type of fan though. Does anyone know if it works by sucking up air through the fins and then blowing it out in the single exhaust direction?

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
Thanks for the feedback!

So a few things:

AXP-90 X53 is certainly a possibility BUT impossible to find it in or shipped to Canada in under a month. Unless there's something I'm missing

Big Shuriken 3 I'm going to skip since the Rev.B is coming as well alongside a new Fuma and Mugen. :)

Then at least get the AXP-90 x47. The copper version is better, but way too expensive in Canada. Like, +$100.

Edit: I realized you already tested the full copper AXP-90. The AXP-90 x47 has improved upon the original, but it would be better to invest time in other coolers. The X53 would be an interesting comparison if you could get it.

Last edited:

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
AM4 socket
Rated at 125W TDP with appropriate case cooling

I am tempted by the AM4 socket cooler to improve my Raven Ridge SFF 2200G cooling performance. I am unfamiliar with this type of fan though. Does anyone know if it works by sucking up air through the fins and then blowing it out in the single exhaust direction?

Yep, that's how it works, its essentially just a regular blower fan.

No way that its able to cool 125W with just 5000rpm(that's actually on the slow side for such a small blower) and a tiny heatsink with relatively little surface area.

I'd only see myself using that kind of heatsink in a slim case that doesn't have ventilation above the cpu area.

Reactions: BaK

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
Silverstone AR06 and AR11 were popular options for intel a while back. They don't work on AM4 as I understand.

Shahmatt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 6, 2017
Yep, that's how it works, its essentially just a regular blower fan.

No way that its able to cool 125W with just 5000rpm(that's actually on the slow side for such a small blower) and a tiny heatsink with relatively little surface area.

I'd only see myself using that kind of heatsink in a slim case that doesn't have ventilation above the cpu area.
Thanks. I have the Realan W80 casing so this looks like a good solution for one way air flow. Unfortunately the downblowing Wraith Stealth fires out air from all sides so the CPU runs a little hot. The 2200G is also a 65W TDP processor so this cooler might be adequate.

Also that looks like a pretty thick 4 to 5mm copper plate under the fins. The whole thing also weighs 500g, of which most of the weight must be copper. Perhaps 125W is achievable given the sheer amount of material used.

makoto14

Chassis Packer
Jul 19, 2021
+1 blackridge, i think its the current cooler for alot of people so would love to see it included as a comparison point of how much will my system improve if i get a new cooler.

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 26, 2020
I know this is not the point of the thread, but I hate it when they don't do AM4 stock mount, especially for SFF cases. For many cases you need to take off the entire motherboard in order to screw the cooler from behind. For Intel, I get it, but for AM4 it is just stupid ...
ID-Cooling have some perfect solutions for me, but the mount from the back are real deal breaker.

Reactions: riba2233