Looking for reference in the history of small form factor cult following

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Hi everyone,
some of you know already but I'm majoring in product design and for my final college project I'll present the CG7.
with that said, I'm strugling a bit to find some resources into the small form factor ~culture~. do any of you came across some timeline of sorts? I'd appreciate it a lot!

Thanks all

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Hi everyone,
some of you know already but I'm majoring in product design and for my final college project I'll present the CG7.
with that said, I'm strugling a bit to find some resources into the small form factor ~culture~. do any of you came across some timeline of sorts? I'd appreciate it a lot!

Thanks all
Could've started with Indigo from SGI???

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
SFF "Culture" has been more of a word of mouth thing over the years. Some ideas to go digging with;

-M-ITX's launch by VIA
-Sudhian
-Shuttle
-LOSIAS
-SFF Network
-SFF subforums across the web
-Modding

Reactions: Phuncz and owliwar

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
SFF "Culture" has been more of a word of mouth thing over the years. Some ideas to go digging with;

-M-ITX's launch by VIA
-Sudhian
-Shuttle
-LOSIAS
-SFF Network
-SFF subforums across the web
-Modding

Thanks Confusis!!
Mini-ITX.com has some great history.
oh right! it never ocurred to me to look up to mini-itx history or other terms people could be using at the time.

thanks a lot

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Actually this interview with Craigbru was really helpfull for what I was looking for.

sudhian forum is unavailable anymore unfortunately, but its nice to know more about that
Had no ideia

Reactions: Phuncz and craigbru

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Hey a open question here;

I just watched a sort of documentary/analisys on the steam controller development and they mentioned SFF / htpc systems for a bit. in a way they make it sounds like it was the steam machine that brought to mainstream attention that kinda of console size case which gave sff a lot of attention in the last years.

what was your impressions on that thing when it went public?

The steam machine prototype:

The internal layout is very similar to the Sentry case that came out a year after that.

But Josh was already making slim cases since 2012 from this post on the s3 mini :
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...-(100-aluminum-ITX-and-made-in-America)/page2

and for the quality of that build, this looks like it was maybe an year in production?
@Josh | NFC have you ever told your story somewhere? in an interview I could hear or watch?

also sorry If It looks like I'm stalking you guys.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
JR actually did a nice interview with me on this site:

https://smallformfactor.net/articles/not-from-concentrate

I found a picture of the S1, BTW.

There is a bit of history with Valve. I sent them an email when I got word that they were working on the "Steambox" concept. I sent them an email and it is fun to think about what could have been.

Here is the email. I've edited/deleted some stuff and changed a few pronouns for privacy:

--------------------
Hello (email sent to five addresses in Valve)

I was excited to hear Valve was developing a console PC or "Steam Box." I might have a solution in hand and we would like to show it to you. My soon to be released S3 gaming/media center computer meets the reported spec for the Steam Box.

By way of background, I am a big fan of Valve software and an admirer of the Steam platform. My driving passion is finding ways to make computers exciting which I've had the joy of doing as a specialty computer designer: you can see my work on my website, nfc-systems.com.

While many gamers take pride in their PC, many more (sadly) do not. Many of these gamers are used to their PCs being slow, frustrating, and bulky and see them as a tool for getting homework done. Because they perceive building a gaming PC as challenging or expensive, they stick to consoles and cell phones, and thus miss out on the greatness of PC gaming.

Since 2009 one of my pursuits has been to present console gamers with a PC that plays by their rules: small, fast, inexpensive, and easy. Although cliché, the time has never been better to make this move in force--powerful hardware is cheap and efficient, and digital gaming distribution is king.

The S3 is the fruit of two and a half years of research and development. My prototype was shown to X and X at CES under NDA this year.

Although the chassis for the final version is in the final stages of production, the inner components and a working prototype exist.

My “sweet spot” gaming PC, running under 160 watts and fitting in a 12.5” x 8” x 2.25” box.

I have alternate configurations for people who want a faster CPU and a BluRay drive. I have plans for moving forward with production, marketing, and sales of the S3 as a gaming/media center computer and also as the hardware side of a videostreaming system, but after reading about your possible interest in a Steam Box I wanted to make contact and see if we could have an opportunity to show you our unit to see if it might serve your purposes.

I am sending this email to several folks in your organization. I wasn't sure who the right person was, so please excuse my email if I was mistaken in sending it to you.

Conveniently, my main office is in Federal Way, so making a visit to your Bellevue location would not be difficult. Less conveniently, I work from my home/office in Mississippi.

Sincerely,

Josh Sniffen

Grey turned out to be a bad color for the S3 Elite prototype. Or actually it is part of another funny story. My monitor wasn't calibrated correctly so I chose the wrong RAL code, and ended up getting this hideous blue grey batch back. Ugh, so horrible. I ruined like three 800 dollar prototypes with that mistake.

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
I think overclock.net and [H]ardForum(Ncase M1 original ideation thread still there 600+ pages and going) SFF sub-forums were key for a lot of people as well, saw many folks here in those forums first. Stumbled into Lone Industries on one of those and that led to ditching my Node302 and getting and L1 and later an L2 from him and also became aware of NFC, followed Josh over here and bought S4 #8. One of the best case listings by volume still here https://www.overclock.net/forum/50-small-form-factor-systems/1300645-official-usff-sff-club.html gives some history I think, especially for customs of what has come and gone.

Last edited:

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
I realized this is way over the scope of my report. there's no way I'll be able to do it properly in the time I have available till my report is due and its really not the focus of my final project at all lol

BUT it's been very interesting read so far and I'll give it some work after my report is due. Maybe I'll fill up a wiki page or something.

Reactions: VegetableStu

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Oh man, I've got a ton of stuff I can add... I'm extremely limited on time however. Currently working 80+ hours a week. I'll see if I can circle back around and fill in some of the gaps as soon as I have a free moment.